Sharing Faith In Healing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing Faith In Healing

THIS THREAD, WHICH BEGAN IN NOVEMBER, 2006, HAS BEEN MOVED HERE TO THE "WHAT WE BELIEVE" BECAUSE OF SEVERAL REQUESTS TO DO SO. I HOPE THE PARTICIPANTS OF "WHAT WE BELIEVE" WILL WELCOME THIS THREAD. THE ORIGINAL THREAD BEGAN:

THIS IS AN EXPERIMENT INSPIRED BY POSTINGS AND REPLYS ON THE FORUM
    At first blush, this thread may appear to be in the wrong place, as it is also a candidate for "What we believe". I intentionally placed it under this thread as it is not intended as a forum to discuss religious beliefs, but rather, to share inspiration for healing of our drinking problems through sharing our faith. Secondly, I hope that this thread will serve as an ongoing available tool, an undying inspiration to help us along our path. The idea for the thread was born of a posting where someone expressed uncomfortableness in talking about how their faith inter-related with the healing process. When I responded that I believed that the people on the forum were tolerant of all feelings and views that help in the healing process, I received innumerable private messages from people stating that they too were shy and concerned that people would get upset and wanted to know more about my particular faith and how I came to it. Hence, the concept for this thread was born. It is meant to accomplsih three things:

1. Provide a place where people can talk about what religion they follow, how they got there, and how it is helping them solve their drinking problems.

2. Request for specific prayers relative to their drinking problems or things in their life that are blocking their growth.

3. Prayers of thanksgiving and prayer gifts (prayers for others).

This is not meant to be a forum for people who would be insulted by those who want to talk about how their faith is interacting with their drinking problem. It is also not a forum to debate or pass opinions on other people's beliefs (the appropriate forum for those discussions are currently being held at "What we believe"). This is meant to serve as an inspirational tool to help us find healing in our drinking problems by sharing those things within our faith that are contributing to our success.

With that said, I will be the guinea pig. I will start with my story of how I came to my faith, my prayer gift, and my request for prayer. I invite anyone interested to do the same. If this forum proves to be helpful, each morning and evening, I will look for inspirational prayers relative to our needs to share and hope that others will do the same.

My faith in healing
    I am a Christian Jew. I was actually born Lutheran, and I have always had a strong faith in G-d. In fact, the Pastor of the Church where I grew up married my husband and me, and he is my son's godfather. The people at the Church were always kind of snobbish, but the Pastor and I got along great having many lunches and dinners over the years where we would discuss the Bible. He was brilliant, and I was always inspired. Several years ago, a business that I owned collapsed amidst intense litigation and scandel. Though I grew up in the Church and these people knew me, there were mixed feelings as to my guilt and innocense. I didn't want to go to Church and wonder about what they were thinking. And in college, after studying different religions I believed I was more Episcopalian in my beliefs. So, I went to a politically affluent historical Church in downtown Annapolis, with approximately 1,000 people a week (another words, I could hide in the crowd). Things got considerably worse before they got better. My family and I suffered considerable pain and sorrow and were subjected to unmercifull injustice brought about powerful, influential creditors (who were friends) with the power and ability to manipulate the system. No one ever thought I would ever recover, EVER!!! Within six months, I went from 105 to 180!! Eating and drinking my way into oblivion (I would still argue to this day that under those circumstances alcohol is not a bad thing -- it was a badly needed crutch to get over the shock and help me face everyday -- the trouble is in knowing when to let go of the crutch -- true of any crutch!)

Being a woman of faith, I turned to G-d and asked, "OK G-d, why have you put me here and what do I need to do to get out". I read the Bible cover-to-cover. I had read it many times in my life, but always piece meal. This time, I got a Contemporary Version and read it like a novel. It is not the most accurate, but it is the easiest to read and the meanings are clear (I have now read five different Bibles). To avoid a religious debate, I will not mention the exact passages (anyone interested can PM me). But I found a happiness and contentment that transpired the muck I was burried in. But after reading the Bible I also decided I needed to follow the laws of Moses, but I still believed in Jesus as the son of G-d. The Pastors that I knew helped me to find a conservative Messianic Jewish community and that is how I became a Christian Jew. And it turned my life around. Through this revelation, my life began to heal on every front. Though in some aspects, I am still healing, I am now once again successful and even stronger in my faith. And I believe G-d directs me everywhere I go, including bringing me here to this forum when I asked him for help in this matter.

My prayer gift I pray that G-d grant peace and inspiration to all who have sought out this thread and to all others within this forum who would want these gifts from you . Amen

My request for prayer
    Please pray that G-d will guide me through my hectic day and allow me to keep to my drinking goals today (both alcohol and cokes). Amen

I hope you can appreciate how difficult it is for me to share this information with people who don't know me and may feel that it is not an appropriate topic. I apologize to anyone whom I may affended. But for those of you who requested this information, I hope it inspires you and helps you in your endeavors.

Much love,
    MM
    Saving the day one minute at a time!

Sharing Faith In Healing

Great Idea MM..just wondered why you chose long term moderators..is it specific for moderation or inclusive of abstainers?
    Di

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

Hi Dilayne. It is for anyone who is interested. I just didn't know where to put it. I didn't want to put it under the thread where we always talk because that is where people were indicating that they were sometimes criticized and people sometimes would get upset. I didn't want to put it in the same area as "What we believe" because it has a distinctly different purpose, as that forum allows people to comment and debate religious views and how it effects their lives. I specifically want to stay away from that and just give people an inpirational healing forum -- it would fall apart if people started critiquing each other and their beliefs. And I did note that this area hasn't been used much and mod people have said that they read abs, so I figured it might work the otherway around too!

If you think I should move it, just let me know where you think it would be the most help.

Thanks for the feedback. I felt kind of awkward doing it, but I felt it important based on the PM's I've been getting.

MM

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

Thanks for sharing!
        So are you Jewish heritage, but never of the jewish faith? Nevertheless, it is really neat that you went out on this limb to share.

Thanks!
        Allie
        What happens in Vegas goes straight to Ohio....

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

Hi MM,

Thanks for sharing this. I agree that the topic of religion does lead to disagreements, but I think its sad that people feel they cant talk about it in the "waht we believe section" for fear of criticism.

I have only recently become a Christian. I have always believed, but never thought I "needed" to go to church or read the bible. Well I finally admitted to feeling lost in this big world, and a friend had recently started attending a Christian church so I went along. Well I struggle to put into words how it has helped me, but I definitely feel there is a strength guiding me and I miss the weeks I cant get to church, or notice myself "slipping" a little after a few days without reading the bible.

Yes I am still skeptical about some things but I am know that my beliefs will be challenged and that it is a good thing for me to learn other peoples opinions and trust myself to make judgements that are right for where I want to go in life.

Alsdo happy for anyone to PM me about religion and its a subject I am curious about and only just discovering. I just once again want to emphasis that you should not feel afriad to express your opinions on this site, and hopefully we can all respect each others journey.

Faye.

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

Good morning.

My Shared Prayer Today involves Husbands and Wives As we have been discussing our issues this week on the forum, I noticed a lot of us have had upsetting incidences with our spouses. Some of them were over our drinking, some of them were over their drinking, and some of them were other issues, but did not hlep in our path to battle our drinking problems.

I certainly had a few encounters this week. As you may recall, I "arm wrestled" my husband into changing a closet into a computer room for him because I needed his space. As he was carrying the equipment to the new room, I jokingly said, "You poor thing, you look like you are being evicted". He very seriously replied, "I feel like I'm being evicted". It just broke my heart, sent me into a depression, and it took every bit of strength I had not to run to the bottle. And then, one night I decided I wanted another glass of wine and he gave me hard time. I was so angry because I am doing so well with my goals; I quite frankly still think it was audacious of him, down right rude to treat me that way when I have come so far! Well, we finally worked it out -- his first reaction was that my husband just doesn't like change, the second is that he loves our new environment and has a deep seeded fear that I will go back. Each reaction was a reasonable one. But because human beings are emotional creatures, we don't always mesh with the other person's thoughts, no matter how close we are to them.

One of the things that I love about the Messianic Jewish faith is the tribute that married couples give to each other once a week on Erev Shabbot (the night before the Sabboth). It is a good thing because it is natural for two people who live together everyday, and must by the nature of the relationship integrate their lives; it is to be expected that they will have disagreements. And that is in a normal relationship. When there is an element of disfunction, such as excessive drinking, it is hard on both parties. Thus, I find this weekly ceremony extremely helpful in keeping me in touch with how much I love my spouse. So, I thought I would share these prayers with you, as it may help anyone who is struggling with their partner.

The is a weekly tribute after the candlelighting ceremony at Sundown and is a wonderful way to set aside the previous week's disagreement and honor the person to whom we have committed our lives. It is an exciting wonderful and emotional moment as everyone either dances around the person honored or points a palm up extended hand and chants the words. It is really romantic when your spouse reads it to you alone. It really puts things into perspective.

FOR THE WOMAN
            Proverbs 31:10-11
            A woman of valor who can find, she is worth farm more than precious jewels. The heart of her husband safely trusts in her, and he profits greatly thereby.

FOR THE HUSBAND

Psalm 112:1-9
            Halleluya! Happy is the man who fears the Lord, who delights greatly in His commandments. His seed shall be mighty upon the earth, the generation of the upright shall be blessed. Wealth and riches shalla be in his house, and his righteousness shall endure forever. Unto the upright there arises light in the darkness; he is gracious, and full of compassion and just.

My prayer is that we each find peace and support in the person with whom we have shared our lives. Amen.

Allie
            No, I have no Jewish background though I worked for over ten years in a Jewish financial community and everyone thinks I'm Jewish because both my son and I look Jewish. I was inspired to follow the laws of Moses by a revelation through reading the Contemporary Bible cover-to-cover. However, I could never give up Jeshua (Jesus) as the son of G-d.

Faye C Thank you for your comments and support. I too feel at a loss when I miss services and daily readings I used to find it very hard to find the time to read such intense stuff on a daily basis because you have to concentrate. But I was inspired by an Art Scroll Book involving the Torah (The Pentatuch - the first five books of the Bible) by using a lamp and light metaphor. I will share it with you, as it helps me to want to read every day:
            "Given the exalted nature and ineffable essence of the Torah, it is understandable that the commandment to study it is of a different order than the performance of the other commandments: 'For a commandment is a lamp and Torah is light (Proverbs 6:23). What is the difference between a lamp and light? The lamp contains the oil and wick that bear the light, without a lamp, there would be no light, but a lamp without light is cold and useless. Similarly, the wisdom of the Torah is embodied in such material objects . . . (listed objected exempted). G-d's wisdom dictates that people ascend the spirtual ladder through performance of the commandments of the Torah, just as a lamp makes light possible. However, Man's highest privilege and loftiest attainment is in the study of Torah itself - the light - whereby mortal man unites with the thought and wisdom of G-d himself."

Hope it helps you as it has helped me, and of course, it is presumed that in modern times the concept would expand to the entire Bible.

My prayer request for today
            . I request prayers for my nephew who has been arrested in Texas - may G-d help him find his way. I also request prayers that I have the strength to stick to my goal today. The news of my nephew has deeply impacted my aging parents, who of course turn to me. The stress makes it very difficult for me not to drink! Please pray that I have the strength. And finally, I pray for everyone on this sight who wishes prayers from you - may you make their path easy - and grant them peace and success. Amen

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

Thank you for that MM..wonderful!

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

My Shared Faith In Healing Today Involves The story of Noah's Drunkeness and its impact on his sons As some of you know, I am seriously struggling because my nephew was arrested in Texas two days ago. I fear that if I don't get a grip on my situation, I will deteriorate back to the way I was before I joined the forum. It is probably good that this has happened at this time, as up until now I have been recovering so well and meeting my goals, and yet, still remember what it was like before I started. It is also good because it has unveiled deep, disturbing emotions in me that have been burried for a very long time. As all of you know, recognizing the inner feelings that are causing the problem, and then dealing with them, is key to healing. In dealing with such issues, I turn to music, my faith, and my friends. Since I consider you my friends, I hope that you will be patient with me on this issue, as I am really struggling.

When I prayed to G-d to help me and support me in understanding how this could happen, he turned my eyes to the story of Noah and his drunkeness. Noah was perhaps the first drunk since he was the first to plant a vineyard as opposed to individual grapevines. Yet, he was such a great man of G-d. I think there are of lot of answers for all of us here on this forum within this story, but I know that it is particularly true for me. As pointed out by the Rabinic masters, "It demonstrates that even the greatest people can become degraded if they lose control of themselves, and it shows through the different reactions of his sons and grandson, that crisis brings out the true character of people. Thus, it is a powerful lesson in history and morality" (Stone Edition).

This particular story about Noah is important because it helps me understand the disappointment and devastation that can be caused when people we admire, respect, trust, and love do things that are inappropriate. In this case, one of Noah's son's life and heritage was destroyed because of initiated inappropriate behavior by his father, Noah. Yes, the son acted inappropriately also during the crisis, but it would not have happened if Noah would not have debased himself by planting a vineyard and then living in drunkeness. Also, as also pointed out, different people react differently in crisis. Where Shem took action to protect his father, Japheth stepped up to help after his brother tried to do something, Ham and his son Canaans' reaction proferred enjoyment of Noah's defilement and humiliation, something he may not have done if he would have had time to think through the consequences. According to the great Rabbi Hirsh, this incident had the most far-reaching prophesy ever, "for in it Noah encapsulated the entire course of man history - Shem was given Israel, Japheth Europe (via Greece), and Ham slavery.

So, here we are thousands of years later and have we learned anything!! It seems to recur generation after generation. My father's father suffered from alcoholism, died in the gutter when my Dad was 9, but not before doing unspeakable things to his family. My father's entire family suffered from the disease. My father at least tried, but the family still suffered consequences from his drunken anger. And now that we are adults, each of us have been impacted by this monster. I fortunately, blessed through the years with my wonderful husband and terrific son, have been damaged the least. But my nephew, who will probably spend the next several years in prison for steeling his father's car in anger and doing a police chase at over 100 miles an hour while intoxicated and drugged; he unfortunately has not escaped the consequences of his father's actions. My brother has continued throughout his own life to be plagued with alcoholism, drug abuse, and a terrible temper.

While all this may sound hopeless, remembering the story of Noah's drunkeness has actually helped me to begin to heal. It can happen to anyone and there is usually a hereditary basis for the problem. So, while I initially was frustrated and angry with my nephew for his stupidity and his failure to take advantage of the help we having sacrificingly given him through the years, I now just feel saddened. Sadness is alot easier to attack from a behavioral change standpoint than anger and frustration. It also gives me strength to know that G-d has dealt with these issues for a long time. I pray that he will mold my nephew to his will so that his path in life and death will be an easy one. There is no greater help that I can give to my nephew than a continual prayer that this request be fulfilled. And that gives me peace. Amen.

My requested prayer for the day May G-d heal this sadness in my heart. May my husband's birthday be a joyous one. May G-d grant to the rest of the family, and to others who are suffering from similar problems, the peace that he has given me through his Word on Noah. And finally, may G-d protect my son and his family of the future, and spare him struggles in this area. Please let me keep to my goals in this and make that path an easy one. Amen

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

My shared faith in healing today is inspired from the Book of Genesis This month in Synogogue our studies have been from the Book of Genesis, and today it gave me reall inspiration on my quest to find answers about my drinking. In the study guide it pointed out that G-d started out as a Universal G-d for all humans. He kept trusting in man and man kept failing until finally he found a man that was at least worthy of moving one step further (Abraham). It was because of the continual failures in humans that G-d implemented such things as mercy, repentence, and forgiveness. Otherewise humans would not be able to survive the condemnation of justice. But it is also implied throughout the entire Bible that man will continue to strive to do better and will be successful as generations improve. We know this because G-d promises to return, but not until every nation and every knee bows to him.

I find this inspirational because it is analogous to the struggles that I, and others like me, have experienced in our drinking habits. We try to do better, but often fail. But we keep trying. And that is so important, not only for ourselves, but for our children and our children's children. Yesterday, I had mentioned how generations of my family have been plagued by family drinking. But after reading my lessons for today, I also can see hope as in each generation it has gotten better for the children. The adverse effects of my father's drinking was not as bad for me as the devasting things that my father's father had done to him. It was because my father kept fighting it, trying to do better. My son is not suffering as bad as I did because I am fighting it and do my best to educate him of the disease and to spare him suffering. And as he and I discussed it last night, I am convinced that it will continue to get better for generations to come until our lineage is cured.

So the bottom line is we may feel like a failure from time-to-time throughout the process of trying to recover; indeed, we may never experience the true success of what we hope to accomplish in our lifetime. But we are successful as long as we keep trying. Just the fact that we keep trying is not only brave, but is also important because it will help everyone around us in our lifetime and for generations to come.

My requested prayer for the day
                  Just as G-d daily brings humans one step closer to his fulfillment that will end in glory to all, may he daily guide us as a society to find a cure and give peace to all who suffer the disease known as alcoholism. Amen

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

MM........Thanks for sharing.

I also was reading from "My Utmost For His Highest" this morning in Genesis on Abraham.
                    It said; "My goal is God Himself...
                    At any cost, dear Lord, by any road."
                    This means that nothing self-chosen is the way God brings us to the goal.

My prayer for today is that we all take steps toward the goal God has chosen for us. Amen
                    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

Good Morning Everybody!! My Shared Faith in Healing Today involves the granted prayers of a righteous person and Jesus’ instructions on how to bring it about. I have to admit, I think that G-d is sending me a very clear signal!! No matter what area of my life that I consider, it seems like He is telling me I need to get a better control over my thoughts and actions. Whether I'm looking at my drinking habits, my eating habits, my life habits, or my religion, this topic keeps coming up! First, it started with my study of Noah’s alcoholism, where he was criticized for losing control because of his drinking. Then, when I was studying nutrition information formulating how to control my drinking and eating habits for the holiday, the author defined the difference between a moderate drinker and an alcoholic as “lost the power of choice in drink” and is “without defense against the first drink” (Alcohol-Induced Hangover: Prevention, Life Extension, 2006). In my personal life, I really lost it on Monday, when I found out I have checks bouncing everywhere because some idiot is cashing checks out of my account, and the bank is telling me that no Federal law requires them to give me a statement of accounting, asserting that it is exempted because it is an on-line account. I really lost control that day! And finally, when I was preparing for a study group on the power of effective prayer, it defined a prerequisite as ordering a life “disciplining your thoughts” . . . and that “overcomes lack of control over one’s thoughts”.

Ok, so I’ve got it. It makes sense, if you never lose control, you won’t over-drink, over-eat, or buy into state-of-the-art stupidity like on-line banking. So, if the answer is finding a way to discipline my thoughts so that I don’t lack control over my thoughts, the next question is just how do you do that!!!!???? I think it would probably be easier to solve World peace! So my mission over the next week is to research, experiment and explore how to achieve this goal. I am doing it in several areas, and my religious thoughts is one area that is lending some significant help. According to one author, significant answers can be found in this area by focusing on the promise of G-d that he will hear the prayers of a righteous person , and the author supports this concept with significant Scriptural support (Growing To Maturity, Daniel Juster, 2002). He then goes on to tell what a person must do in accordance with the Bible to become a righteous person within the prayer concept. Id. Don’t get me wrong, I believe he is right and I am striving to do those things. However, I have to be honest; if I could do all those things, I really would be able to bring about World peace! But both the author, and the Rabbi of our Synagogue have tapped a nerve for me that is helping me to at least reflect in a way that helps me maintain better control. Using Scriptures they both point out how the soul is a loaned gift from G-d and the Spiritual gift within us can only be fulfilled if we maintain control of our thoughts. The Rabbi, in particular, pointed out how Jesus said in one passage that he is not of this World, yet in another, telling us that the Kingdom of G-d is at hand. He further explains that we must be more like Jesus and seek to learn from Jesus in order to experience the Spiritual gifts. The Rabbi stressed, life begins with G-d as we go through everyday and it will end with G-d in eternity. He emphasized that everyday if we focus on walking with Jesus and doing G-d’s work in our human way, we are more likely to maintain control of our thoughts and make good choices that will please G-d. So, every morning I think about what I am going to do through the day that will be carrying out G-d’s work, and for some reason, it makes me want to stay in control so that I am sure to make the right choice.

My shared prayer
                      May each of us be gifted with control of our thoughts, may it in turn help us to control our drinking, and may that path be an easy one. Amen

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

Hi MMII,

I read your post with interest. I am curious as to why you leave the "O" out of G-d when you are writing?

:thanks:

Rachele
                        :h :h :h :h

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

MY PRAYER FOR TODAY......For He will command His angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. ~ Psalm 91:11-12. God, this is one of my favorite comforts from Your Word. I pray and trust that You will command Your angels concerning me, my family, my friends, my pastors and their families, that through Your power and Your command guardian angels will be round about to protect us and lift us up so that we will not strike our feet against stones. Please protect us from all harm and evil. Help us remain pure and devoted to You. And for those I know and love who are fighting addictions of various types, I pray that You would give them strength and power to overcome and that guardian angels will protect them and keep them from stumbling. In the name of Jesus I pray and give You thanks, amen.
                          :h Nancy

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

Imagine,

I cannot speak for MM II, but I have read that some spiritual groups ( notice I did not say religious ) leave the o out of God and write is as G-D because the name is too holy for written or spoken word. I like that thinking very much. I think some in the jewish tradition leave the o out but I could be wrong.

Best regards,
                            lucky

Comment

Sharing Faith In Healing

That is what MM told me. They leave out the o because they feel unworthy to speak His name.

I do not feel that I can not say His name but I do get upset when someone says it in a disrespectful way or as a curse word.

I think of Him as my Spiritual Father. I believe that He wants me to call on Him. That is my personal belief. I respect what others believe.

Nancy:h

Comment

Working...
                              X