PDA

View Full Version : 52 Healthy Habits in 52 Weeks

Tipplerette
November 4th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I have a lot of bad habits. I have no willpower. With those two realities I was doomed to fail in my quest to release myself of the self-defeating habits that were sure to shorten my life, keep me plump and keep my confidence lower than I would like it to be.
At the ripe old age of 54 and about to enter to stage of life called perimenopause I knew that it was now or never. After the change of life had set in I would have other realities to deal with. After many years of making lists of what I would deprive myself of, not do, limit myself from doing, etc. I came to a realization that for someone with my impulsive personality, deprivation just does not work. Knowing this, a solution started forming in my mind. It actually was like a bolt of lightning. The one thing I knew I was very good at is doing things; being proactive. I made the decision that, rather than trying to deny myself of anything I would make a list of good habits to incorporate into my life on a weekly basis. I hoped that these good habits would crowd out the bad and improve my physical, mental and emotional health in the long term.
I made a list of the habits I would like to curb. This list would be the seeds of the new habits I would implement. My list was as follows: Too much wine (close to one bottle every night and more on weekends), Not enough exercise, too much junk food and not enough fruits and veggies and those were the tip of the iceberg. Thought I would document my progress so far since it's becoming a bit of a success (UREKA !! YIPPEEE !! YAHOO !!) I have a spreadsheet going that keeps me on track. Wine and weight are my biggies but I am patient as it took 10 years to develop the bad habits and it will take at least one to lose the 10 pounds and drink more moderately.

Anyway I am on week 4 - First week I added a jug of water a day... feel a lot better just from that small change.. so far I have been consistent..
Week 2 I added 15 minutes of exercise per day with a plan to double that within a month or so. That's every day - no skipping. Right now my equipment of choice is the rebounder. I can chat on the phone or watch Oprah and bounce away. The few times I have skipped I have done double the next day. Result is more energy afterwards to do housework and get office work done..
Week 3 I commited to taking my supplements (you know the ones..) so although I can't stomach the amount recommended, I have been taking the kudzu, L-Glut, etc. every day in varying degrees. Skipped once or twice on the weekend but besides that doing great.
This being week 4 I added 2 servings of fruit daily. Body is 'functioning' alot better if you know what I mean..:H

Next week I plan on drinking herbal tea right after dinner daily which hopefully will curb the habit of continuing to consume wine from dinner to bedtime... tricky, eh...

I have never done well with deprivation but this is working for me and hopefully within a few months I will see a decrease in wine consumption and weight. If you are interested in seeing my 52 week plan I can post it.

Just thought I would share something that has worked for me for 4 weeks .. and THAT's A RECORD !!

Tips

one2many
November 4th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Tips,

I REALLY hope you will continue to post about this, I think I could incorporate one thing a week into my life!!!

I shall start with the Jug of water 2moro!!

I would LOVE to see the plan!

Tipplerette
November 4th, 2010, 02:05 PM
This is a loose plan with 50 items on it so far (some of it repetitous). As time goes on I will modify it as I see results or think of more important habits that I hadn't thought of while compiling the original list. Each list should be tailored to your individual goals and habits you want to ease out of your life replacing them with the good ones. Thanks for showing interest 1-2-Many.
List of Healthy Habits I will incorporate on a weekly basis:
1. Drink a jug of water daily
2. Exercise for at least 15 minutes a day
3. Take your supplements daily
4. Two pieces of fruit a day
5. Drink herbal tea right after your evening meal
6. Drink a glass of water before every glass of alcohol
7. Heeled, Tailored & Coiffed
8. Drink tea in the afternoon before supper
9. Bring healthy breakfast & lunch food to the office
10. Drink lemon, cinnamon, honey combo in a.m.
11. Be outside for 15 consecutive minutes a day
12. Floss daily
13. Lift weights for 10 minutes a day
14. Eat three vegetable servings every day (1/2 c cooked or 1 c raw)
15. Eat serving of beans, legumes every day
16. Eat low fat dairy every day ? not non-fat
17. Stretch before and after exercise
18. Eat good fats daily ie. Nuts, olive oil, coconut oil or flax oil
19. Take up a quiet daily hobby ie. Knitting
20. Learn one new French word a day and review list daily
21. Compost regularly
22. Recycle regularly
23. Eat one small daily serving of dark chocolate.
24. Eat one of the following super foods which are: beans, blueberries, broccoli, oats, oranges, pumpkin, salmon, soy, spinach, green tea, tomatoes, turkey, walnuts, asparagus and yogurt.
25. Find a good multivitamin that includes Vitamin B and Selenium. Look for additional calcium and if you live in the north, add 1000 IU's of vitamin D.
26. Start each dinner with clear soup or salad
27. Chew slowly and eat slowly
28. Eat 5 small meals a day
29. Eat 10 nuts a day
30. Wake up to calming CD not Flo?s alarm
31. Hypno tapes daily if necessary
32. Switch ten foods to organic
33. Gargle daily with mouthwash
34. Find a walking partner
35. Take up an active hobby ie. Dancing
36. Journal daily
37. Moisturize daily with natural cream
38. Do a daily task that is not routine ie. Clean basement, sort photos, clean closet,
39. Establish a daily routine and stick to it.
40. Take teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar & CLA before each meal
41. Use organic sea salt or herb you bought rather than salt
42. Add 10 more organic foods to your diet ie. Meat, chocolate
43. Use Flyers, buy on sale and look to save family business money too
44. Follow your 20 day housework rotation
45. Go somewhere cultural once a week ie. Museum, library, bookstore, concert et
46. Take up a meditative activity ie. yoga, pilates, meditation
47. Bounce for 5 minutes even if you exercise otherwise
48. Volunteer once a week
49. At the office work done before computer games begin
50. Add natural soap, skin care products to your organic list

one2many
November 4th, 2010, 02:31 PM
This is FANTASIC..I love it

I have a brand new hardback notebook just for this..I am very excited!

Thanks SO much for going to the trouble to post this. You know the way you read a post and say "ohh this could have been written for me" W#ell this has my name all over it...THANK YOU!!

Sunnyvalenting
November 4th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I went 5 months AF before even trying to improve anything else. I agree that viewing habit change as a positive choice is much better than saying what we won't or shouldn't do. I have since started eating right and exercising daily. It is working "like magic" I have been doing this for over 4 months now and have lows lots of weight and gone from "below average" to above average fitness on the treadmill test.
I will incorporate new habits along the way but I resist a rigid schedule. I know my goals tho and each success can lead to a renewed enthusiasm for the next good thing. Thanks for the share. I think it is a marvelous idea.
Sunny

mollyka
November 4th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I love this idea Tippers, I have to say I wince on each exercise one - I'm such a lazy cow, doesn't mean I don't think you're right!! I do love the whole concept tho and like Oney I'll start with the jug of water tomorrow! Thanks again
Molly

one2many
November 4th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Ok, how big is the jug?

Tipplerette
November 5th, 2010, 07:49 AM
So excited that you people want to walk this path with me. About the exercise, Molly it's only 15 minutes for now because I, too am a lazy cow. But 15 minutes is doable even for me. I figure I'll incorporate more as time goes on.. A jug of water is about 6 to 8 eight ounce glasses. Like that koolaid jug with the smile on it's face from the old days... By the way the items on the list change as I think of new and better and more time appropriate habits to incorporate. If anyone has an awesome suggestion for a daily habit that brings physical, mental or emotional wellbeing please let me know. I really am looking for positive changes and welcome suggestions.

Did everything on the list yesterday and keep a 'word document' with a table on the go to keep track of things. Pretty excited about adding the herbal tea right after dinner next week as this may be the first step in slowing down the 'YOU KNOW WHAT'... our raison d'etre for being here.... Having fun anyways.

1-2-Many, will you post your successes here too... join me??? For me, anyway, it's the first thing that has worked and given me a sense of accomomplishment.

one2many
November 5th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I will most CERTAINLY join you and thanks for asking me... better go and get me water!! I am dertermined to do this....

I think this is a SUPERB thread.....and would urge anyone who has any idea's, hints or tips to post aswell.

I might incorporate the supps in tomorrow too, they are sitting on the shelf waving at me...

one2many
November 5th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I posted this a while back but think it fits in nicely here. Not all of us get out of the bed on the right side every morning..I know I don't..but this helps....

As soon as you wake up smile. This is a whole new day with many new possibilities. Today you will do new things and meet new people. But in order to receive all these blessings you have to be open to it. Believe that good things will today.

Believe that you deserve good things. Open your mind to the possibility of great blessings. You are meant to be happy. The universe wants you to be happy and share that joy with everyone.

Whenever you meet someone treat them with love and kindness. You would want someone to do that to you. Use people as a reflection of yourself. Treat them how you want to be treated.

Do what you feel is right. Don't worry about being shy or showing your emotions. Let people know how you feel. Be true to yourself and your feelings. Remember - Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the harbor. Catch the trade winds."
-Mark Twain

Live for the moment. Each part of your day is a new place you've never been before. So cherish every moment. Enjoy reading the morning paper and that quiet time with your loved one. Small acts of random kindness change the world. Make an effort to be nice to that coworker you don't like the best.

At the end of everyday remember what you have to be thankful for. Think of all the great things that happened to you and the wonderful people around you that make it possible.

Tipplerette
November 5th, 2010, 08:38 AM
That was well worth the read. I just cut and pasted it into my Tracking sheet to encourage me. I think we're on the same page. I feel very lucky to have been born with the "Glass Half Full" mentality. I think some people have to struggle to adopt that view of life and that must be difficult. I especially relate to #4. Do, do, do, don't Wait, Wait, Wait. I do so much that sometimes I feel like I am careening out of control... and I am not talking about booze... we ride a motorcycle, go fishing in the James Bay wilderness, walk around the town at night in Mexico... i could go on and on.. wow I sound like a danger to myself. Thanks for coming on board and remember to throw suggestions at me and if I think of any new habits I'll throw them out there too.

one2many
November 5th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Cool Tippers, I am one of the ones who HAD to struggle to look for the positive..I am MUCH better at it now and it has changed me as a person, I am still learning tho but I have realised how much good positive thinking can impact your life!

I need to get out of control like you Tipps....I do dress up and have disco's with the kids with the blinds up and wave at all the people who look in and think I am mad tho.. :)

LVT25
November 5th, 2010, 08:45 AM
This is great!! Thanks for sharing. Would it be too much trouble to share your spreadsheet template here!

:goodjob::thanks:

one2many
November 5th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Spreadsheets!! I am CRAP at them so that would be COOL!

Tipplerette
November 5th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Week 4
52 Weeks of Change

Mon Tues Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun
Jug Water X ? ? X

Exercise 5 min X x x x
Take your supps X X X X x
Eat two fruits X X X X X

That didn't work very well, this cut and paste. The lines are missing and everything is jumbled but you might get the idea. Just create a table in your word document and every week add a line.

Tipplerette
November 5th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Here's a great link for ideas of good habits to start you off:

100 Great Tips to Improve Your Life | LifeRemix (http://liferemix.net/100-great-tips-improve-your-life)

sunshinedaisies
November 5th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Tip - this list is amazing! I am planning on joining in too! am actually going AF and NF tomorrow (I am SO nervous) but this will help me enormously - all this stuff to concentrate on!! I am going to print out your list and start tomorrow with week 1 ! Thank you so much for starting this - it is wonderful!! I do need to add meditation to my list as that is one thing I MUST do daily and often think "Oh I'll do it later" and then later doesn't come. I never let myself meditate when I have been drinking so am hoping now I can really get back into it. It really makes me feel good - so here's hoping.

Oney - I am also going to print out your list too as I think they are really good too and put them on my noticeboard!

I am feeling so good about tomorrow and SO motivated! Wish me luck everyone - no, not luck - wrong word - just keep me in your prayers!

Hugs to you all,

Sun xx

one2many
November 6th, 2010, 05:42 AM
I love this thread, so many good ideas! I am really excited to try them all.

Sun, I bought a pack of mediation cards last week and they are excellent, there must be one for every feeling and situation and they are simple and easy todo, I am gonna start doing them today starting with the simple breathing one.

I am DELIGHTED about your decision to kick the fags and the booze..I personally think it is better doing the 2 together.Won't be easy but it CAN be done and you will feel like a new woman like I do...I am so excited for you!
I am six months smoke free next Wed...I NEVER thought I could do it because I did the booze easy enough but the smoking for me , was much harder...so if I can do it ANYONE can...

Sending you strength and determination....

Oney x

one2many
November 6th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Ok yesterday I drank a litre of water, I know that is not enough but it is a HELL of a lot better than 2 cups of coffee in the morning and NO other liquids all day!! (very bad I know!).

I was weeing all day tho!! So will keep that one up..(the drinking water not the weeing...altho don't know if i can avoid it ..the weeing that it....)

Now today, I think I may start taking the supps gain, they are all sitting on my shelf gathering dust!! I am very bad at taking tabs on a regular basis so I will make a HUGE effort to take the time and make it a priority!

sunshinedaisies
November 6th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I find that the tabs just seem to sit in me - or they feel as if they are sitting in me and I hate having to take them so I need to start the All-one again - I felt really good when I was taking that stuff. Oney - I redid my youngest's room when she moved out, into a yoga/meditation room - it is beautiful and I don't use it enough - I have no excuses and plan on going in there to do my 15 mins exercise (yoga) and my meditation. Today is my day - I have no worries about giving up the cigs - did it before when i gave up the AL so feel quite good about it. Maybe just a little twinge of worry - but I keep squashing it back down when it bubbles up!! I CAN AND WILL DO THIS.

Love this idea of all these things to do!!

hugs, sun x

one2many
November 6th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Yeah I feel shite when I take them too I have to be honest and the ALLOne makes me feel sick for a while too but I feel better in general when I take them...

I really envy your meditation room Sun..I bet it is really beautiful what a luxury..indulge yourself hon!! I find it very hard to do it here with all the ankle biters but I WILL make an effort!!

one2many
November 6th, 2010, 08:47 AM
LET THE HAPPY GAMES BEGIN

Here?s a wonderful story about a little girl whose refusal to think anything negative changed an entire town; in this story, Pollyanna encourages people to stop seeing themselves as sick, alone or hopeless in any way. Even when things are hard, she teaches them to play the ?glad game,? a game where the person tries to find at least one thing to be glad about, no matter what difficulty they may be experiencing.

But Pollyanna had a point! As simplistic as it might sound, there?s no reason to ever engage in pessimism. No matter what difficult experience you?re faced with, pessimism doesn?t help the situation. It doesn?t change things for the better. It doesn?t empower you or anyone involved. And it certainly doesn?t create the kind of energetic environment that fosters miraculous and happy outcomes. In fact, no matter what the obstacle, it?s utterly self-defeating to engage in the energy of pessimism, precisely at the time you need a miracle most!

Only the energy of optimism and value can create the miracle you need at any given moment. You must assume the best, and you must search for something to value in your life, no matter what hardship you may be enduring. The ?glad game? is a way to find something of value, something that could be appreciated no matter what else is going on. This is a powerful decision at any time, for the choice to appreciate and acknowledge value always attracts more value. Of course, Pollyanna had no awareness of quantum physics. She just knew it made her feel better, and when she taught it to others, it made them feel better, too. Pessimism, on the other hand, only succeeds in making people feel worse.

Because optimism is emotionally beneficial, it?s also favorable energetically. Emotions charge your energy, and the excitement that comes from optimism pumps up the volume of your magnetic resonance more than almost any other emotion. So whether you decide to be optimistic because it makes you feel better, or because you finally realize that it?s necessary to change your energy, it doesn?t really matter. The magnetic consequences of your optimism will remain the same. When you choose to be optimistic, you radically change your electromagnetic field, bringing a brighter, happier light frequency to your world?and to the world of those around you

By Sandra Taylor.

Doggygirl
November 6th, 2010, 08:55 AM
What a great list Tip! Can you tell me your "recipe" for your daily lemon/cinnamon/honey concoction?

Good for you!

DG

Tipplerette
November 6th, 2010, 09:20 AM
I hate the feeling I have this morning. Drank restaurant wine last night and it did not sit as well in my tummy as our homeade stuff. I feel queasy this morning. Still sticking to my daily list of must-do's but want so badly to add the "Do not drink alcohol" to the list. Trying to be patient with the process. One-2Many, you said you had an easy time giving up the alcohol; tell me a bit about that please... Need encouragement.

Tipplerette
November 6th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Heat up a cup of water (boil or micro) add 1/2 tsp cinamon and a squeeze of half a lemon. Let sit for 10 minutes then add a tsp of non-pasteruized honey. You need to let it sit because boiling hot water will kill the good stuff in the honey. Drink slowly first thing in morning. Very good taste and very good for you (esp your liver)...

sunshinedaisies
November 6th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Tip - sorry you aren't feeling very well - do you have any cider apple vinegar? try 2 Tbsp with 2 Tbsp honey mixed in with a tall glass of water - if you haven't had it before the taste does take some getting used to, but I love it and drink at least a couple of these daily. It is really good for you and might help the tummy.

I think I am going to try and do a spreadsheet tomorrow - never done one before but will have time to fill (no booze) so that would be a good thing to take my mind off it.

Need to go and get ready for work.

Have a great day everyone - think this idea is awesome and I went to the link too - that is also an amazing link!!

Hugs, Sun xx

LVT25
November 6th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks again Tipp for the great ideas, and that link! That is awesome! I might take a little time and work up my own spread sheet as well!

Oney--you sound a lot like me. I haven't taken my supps in like forever and I totally gave up on the Allone because I just can't stomach the taste/texture. I have gotten away from an exercise routine, and I haven't even used my sauna in a year! I agree that giving up drinking and smoking together was the only way to go...for me anyway. But the only time I smoked was when I drank and vice versa--so it was a no brainer.

Sunshine--your yoga room sounds wonderful--enjoy!

Thanks for taking the time to start the thread.:thanks:

Doggygirl
November 6th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Tipplerette;998127 wrote: I hate the feeling I have this morning. Drank restaurant wine last night and it did not sit as well in my tummy as our homeade stuff. I feel queasy this morning. Still sticking to my daily list of must-do's but want so badly to add the "Do not drink alcohol" to the list. Trying to be patient with the process. One-2Many, you said you had an easy time giving up the alcohol; tell me a bit about that please... Need encouragement.
Tip, one of these days you will probably be so sick of being sick with AL that you will just be ready to stop. I sure didn't have a hope of stopping until I was 100% ready. I think you are on a good path to make all the health improvements that are on your list. The healthier you get, the less AL will probably seem to "fit" into your mind and body. That's my theory anyway. :)

Tipplerette;998129 wrote: Heat up a cup of water (boil or micro) add 1/2 tsp cinamon and a squeeze of half a lemon. Let sit for 10 minutes then add a tsp of non-pasteruized honey. You need to let it sit because boiling hot water will kill the good stuff in the honey. Drink slowly first thing in morning. Very good taste and very good for you (esp your liver)...
Thanks! I've been trying to add cinnamon to whatever I can. Never thought about adding it to lemon/honey. We are fortunate to have bees.

Oney, I like the pollyana post. My gratitude list is my friend, and lately I've been pulling it out a lot.

DG

Sunnyvalenting
November 6th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I have been AF since January. I cannot imagine being able to exercise and diet effectively if I were still drinking. Drinking is such a downer that my motivation while drinking was essentially non existent. IMO being abstinent is the first order of business. Your life will get SO much better so quickly that you will then be able to transfer that success into other successes. I have not seen it work the other way around. Best of all to you.
Sunny

Tipplerette
November 7th, 2010, 09:33 AM
I think you may be on to something Sunny. I am still good with the list and having great success with it but within the past few weeks I am embarrassed to say that I have been sick twice and lost my footing on the stairs once. This is a new dimension to my drinking so along with my 52 weeks of healthy habits I must add that I am on my second day AF... something inside me snapped as I recognized the latest new and exciting phase of my imminent descent into alcohol hell. Time to bail. Monday I start with the tea after dinner. Apple cider vinegar is something I may alternate with the lemon in my morning concoction. I know it's good for me... So glad to have you guys along for the ride. Did pretty well this weekend. A little short on the water, but danced (dead sober) last night for more than 15 minutes at a 40th birthday party. Let me know how you are doing.... Tips

Sunnyvalenting
November 7th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Congratulations Tip on your 2nd AF day. You will find almost everything else goes more smoothly if you are not mixing it with Al. Alcohol dependence by its very nature gets worse over time and erodes into more and more of our best life. Do whatever you need to to stay AF and the other stuff will sort itself into the right order. I, myself, don't like to have quite so many rules to follow so I try to simplify into healthy principals. These, of course, boil down to actual habits and actions. I try to plan my healthy day (good food and lots of exercise) each morning and then see how well I do! (I throw up if I drink green tea! funny that I could down a quart of vodka but can't drink 8 oz of tea). That is something I can truly laugh at now.
Sunny

Tipplerette
November 7th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Thanks Sunny, hope I can be as vigilant as you when it comes to AF. Just got back from dinner at my son's place and we had roast beef and all the fixings. Normally I would be eyeing the wine bottle as it was passed around ensuring I got my fair share but tonight I was not interested. If the whole process could be as easy as last night and tonight I would be very happy. One interesting thing I noticed though is that hubby, my son and his wife only had a glass and a half of wine and left some in the glass when dinner was over. Looking at the scene with sober eyes, I sadly noted that had I been drinking I would have topped my glass up a number of times while encouraging all to do the same. Sure was pleasant to hold my grandbaby and feel like a responsible caregiver and not the boozy granny bouncing the baby on my lap. Anyways back to the list. I do well with it so I plan on continuing to incorporate one good habit a week.

Come on gang !! Let's give each other suggestions - I came up with a new one.. Get up 1/2 hour earlier than usual. That is one that will make my day start alot better. Not doing that yet but it's been added to my list. Anyone try Chai Tea.. it's delicious in a spicy sort of way... if you like gingerbread, you would like chai tea. That's my tea for tommorrow. Have a great night. Tips

Tipplerette
November 7th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Just tryin' out my new signature... testing, one two three testing.

Sunnyvalenting
November 8th, 2010, 12:10 AM
it is wonderful to celebrate the little and big successes along the way. They are the stepping stones and motivations to keep on track. I too used to eye the wine bottle and top off. I am a 58 year old woman but no grandkids yet. I am so glad you are seeing the possibilities here. I hope my grandchildren, if/when they come never have to know me as a drunk.
Sunny

Tipplerette
November 8th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Mine is too tiny to notice but last night holding her with a glass water beside me looking into her grinning face and big curiuos eyes, I felt so connected and pure. Pure is the only word to describe the feeling of total, wonderous, love that I felt and I forever want to feel that without the hazy filter of alcohol. As a young woman I never drank and was the life of the party. Going to get that girl back !!!

sunshinedaisies
November 8th, 2010, 10:17 AM
check out my new signature too Tip! good feeling eh? GO US !!!!

Love, Sun xx

Tipplerette
November 8th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Sitting here sipping tea. Feel great. Dinner is over and I met all my goals today. Thanks to all for your interest and support.

4MyHealth
November 8th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hi Tip,

Thanks for starting this string (? is that the term?). I like it! I too go the deprivation route and usually rebel.
Today is day 1 (again) and I am having a cup of tea 1/2 hour into my witching hour. Hope it works. Would love to feel free of this dependency and craving...and would love to lose some weight.
I may join you or just "lurk" and see how you are doing.

Sunnyvalenting
November 8th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Hi all, I am off to the grocery store for fruit and to the gym for a wonderful workout. Be well all. Congrats, Tip on all your recent progress. I think even tiny babies (and pets!) know when we are "all there".
sunny

one2many
November 9th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Right, been VERY bad and neglecting this, so today is new day and I am gonna give it a serious go..

Tipplerette
November 9th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Of Course you May join

Everybody is free to join.. the more the merrier. I keep thinking of new things to add to my list... the latest is "Stop Wasting Food". That should save me enough in a year to buy a treadmill. ha ha.. :welcome:

one2many
November 9th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Stop wasting Food..I like that one Tipps, we can all learn from this..

spuddleduck
November 9th, 2010, 12:09 PM
just come across this thread and am loving it. ive not been doing too well lately on the booze.... wont even mentions the smoking. for me i definately need more than to just cut these things out i need to change my habits and ways of thinking and there are some fantastic suggestions here. think i get too impatient with myself and will want to change everything all at once even though i know it will be too much for me and will overwhelm me. so ill try and take things slowly. ive always loved pollyanna and try to do a bit of that way of thinking. postive thinking doesnt come easy to me so thats a big one for me to work on. for now ill stick with my jug of water. thanks again... great thread

Samantha T.
November 9th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Hi Tipplerette
What a GREAT idea!! This should fit in well with our Boot Camp that is starting tomorrow, too.

I think since my biggest and worst bad habit is the daily wine, I will start this week with that. This is such a nice idea because I always try to change EVERYTHING at once, and fail miserably. Doing it gradually is much more balanced. Thank you for this!

Sam

one2many
November 9th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Tipplerette;997435 wrote: Here's a great link for ideas of good habits to start you off:

100 Great Tips to Improve Your Life | LifeRemix (http://liferemix.net/100-great-tips-improve-your-life)
This is FANTASTIC stuff Tipps....!:goodjob::goodjob:

Dewdrop
November 9th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Hi everyone thanks Tips for starting this and I have been lurking so far and enjoying all the ideas :thanks: count me in.

For me one of the first things I changed in going AF was to have a healthy breakfast something I would never normally do. I would be too hungover until at least lunchtime to be able to stomach anything. Now I have a good breakfast every morning no matter what, my usual is porridge with cinnamon and sultanas, with grapes and cr?me freche, with stewed apples or anything else that makes it feel a bit special. If I?m in a hurry it?s oatabix and fruit or yoghurt and fruit; the other change is that I only use soya milk and spreads now as I am trying to cut down on saturated fats.

I also take my supplements every day to keep me healthy and craving free (as much as possible) and I start each morning with a big glass of water with lemon sometimes two glasses. Now I am in the habit of doing these things it feels wrong if I miss a morning and I have to catch up somehow when I get to work - so the good habits have become the norm.

However, I need to start exercising and love exercising outdoors so for the next week I commit to 15 minutes exercise every day ? walking, jogging etc to kick start my lazy backside. Tomorrow is day one and I?ll let you know how I get on.

Dewdrop :h

Tipplerette
November 9th, 2010, 02:45 PM
yay for us all. I love all the positive feedback that we are giving ourselves. I get to my computer and the first thing I do every morning is go over the list from the day before and check off all that I accomplished. it always feels great to tick off each box. If I had a clean day (no booze) I make all my ticks in aqua marine blue just to remind myself of how good I am doing in that department. I am on week 5 so my little spreadsheet is a must now. Love the sound of your breakfast Dew Drop. Tommorrow I think I'll simmer myself a little oatmeal... maybe Scottish Oats... I'll add my wild Canadian Blueberries and have myself an international breakfast. Might just throw back some Florida lemon juice while I am at it.

Sunnyvalenting
November 9th, 2010, 10:05 PM
With respect to "wasting food" I recently read that it is better to "waste" it into the garbage than into our bodies. When we have had our healthy share and there are leftovers which won't save go ahead and "waste" them or they will become YOUR Waist!
Having said that we can plan more carefully for our healthy eating and less waste. I think I save money even tho I am buying quality food because I am not: buying liquor or fast food or junk food. I am eating lower on the food chain and those things seem to cost less as I have to do the preparing work rather than paying someone to overseason it with salt, fat or sugar. It is all good. I am learning how to treat myself as I would my best friend. It is very freeing. Good luck to all
Sunny

Tipplerette
November 10th, 2010, 09:39 AM
I agree Sunny. I did not mean for us to eat three chicken breasts when we only can comfortably eat 2. I meant to re-use the left-overs in a soup the next day and actually eat or freeze the soup. Not let it sit in the fridge until it goes bad. That seems to be my pattern. Cooking too much, eating my normal small portion and watching the remains waste away in the fridge.

On another note, why don't we all make our # 52 item "Do something to impact the world in a positive way." By the time we've accomplished adopting all 51 healthy habits we will have the physical, emotional and mental strength to do ANYTHING !! Pick your favourite cause and away we go!! Just a suggestion.

Sunnyvalenting
November 10th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Adler, an early psychologist, said that a person could never get too depressed if they did something for another person every day. I agree. Your ide #52 an excellent one. Let's not wait a year either!
Sunny

Tipplerette
December 26th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Lost sight of my list for the past few weeks getting ready for Christmas but will get back in the saddle on Monday. Hubby bought an Xbox Kinect game for Christmas and boy does that make one sweat. And while doing it you CANNOT drink because it takes away your strength and endurance so hopefully lots of sober, playful evenings in the future.

Sunnyvalenting
December 26th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Have fun!
I will soon be signing off of MWO as it is almost a year AF for me. I have enjoyed these boards but believe it is time to "move on out" having found my way out. I may check in from time to time tho!. I wish everyone well.
Sunny

babysteps
December 28th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I like this idea, even if the focus in primarily 'DO NOT DRINK ANY ALCOHOL' FOR A MONTH OR 2 OR 3.... could add little things that support that goal weekly. For me, the supplements would be included with that primary goal week 1; then a daily short walk, positive reinforcements/meditations....I'll have to make a list too! Thanks :thanks:

Tipplerette;997403 wrote: Week 4
52 Weeks of Change

Mon Tues Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun
Jug Water X ? ? X

Exercise 5 min X x x x
Take your supps X X X X x
Eat two fruits X X X X X

That didn't work very well, this cut and paste. The lines are missing and everything is jumbled but you might get the idea. Just create a table in your word document and every week add a line.

Tipplerette
January 1st, 2011, 02:46 PM
I am joining you on the Do Not Drink Alcohol for the Month of January. ODAT !! If and WHEN I achieve this goal, the world is my oyster.. I can take on anything if I can beat this demon. I will continue to post on my 52 week plan starting Monday.

gypsi
January 2nd, 2011, 01:20 PM
Funny how I was just sitting here this morning thinking that I have all these 'things' I wish to accomplish in my life, yet every time I try, I fail, simply because I attempt to do all of them at the same time. And then I stumble across this. Amazing...

I love this list! I am going to incorporate it into my life starting today. Thank you, Tipper, for sharing this. It's exactly what I needed.

Tipplerette
January 3rd, 2011, 10:42 AM
You are very welcome Gypsi, I have to get at it too. I let it slide over Christmas and today I will update the list. You may want to add or subtract a few things as these may not apply to you. Each list is individual. Let's report daily. I'll take a look and see where I am. Have any of you ever tried bouncing on a rebounder for exercise. It's a mini-trampoline that is one of the best forms of exercise available as it cleans out your lymphatic systema as well as give you a darn good work-out. Will post soon.

gypsi
January 3rd, 2011, 02:58 PM
Week One Goal

I decided that my first goal would be to get back to journaling. I used to write in my journal every day, but somehow it fell away from me, or maybe I fell away from it. No matter; back on track with that now. Just 15 minutes a day writing in my journal. Simple~