52 Healthy Habits in 52 Weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a lot of bad habits. I have no willpower. With those two realities I was doomed to fail in my quest to release myself of the self-defeating habits that were sure to shorten my life, keep me plump and keep my confidence lower than I would like it to be.
    At the ripe old age of 54 and about to enter to stage of life called perimenopause I knew that it was now or never. After the change of life had set in I would have other realities to deal with. After many years of making lists of what I would deprive myself of, not do, limit myself from doing, etc. I came to a realization that for someone with my impulsive personality, deprivation just does not work. Knowing this, a solution started forming in my mind. It actually was like a bolt of lightning. The one thing I knew I was very good at is doing things; being proactive. I made the decision that, rather than trying to deny myself of anything I would make a list of good habits to incorporate into my life on a weekly basis. I hoped that these good habits would crowd out the bad and improve my physical, mental and emotional health in the long term.
    I made a list of the habits I would like to curb. This list would be the seeds of the new habits I would implement. My list was as follows: Too much wine (close to one bottle every night and more on weekends), Not enough exercise, too much junk food and not enough fruits and veggies and those were the tip of the iceberg. Thought I would document my progress so far since it's becoming a bit of a success (UREKA !! YIPPEEE !! YAHOO !!) I have a spreadsheet going that keeps me on track. Wine and weight are my biggies but I am patient as it took 10 years to develop the bad habits and it will take at least one to lose the 10 pounds and drink more moderately.

Anyway I am on week 4 - First week I added a jug of water a day... feel a lot better just from that small change.. so far I have been consistent..
    Week 2 I added 15 minutes of exercise per day with a plan to double that within a month or so. That's every day - no skipping. Right now my equipment of choice is the rebounder. I can chat on the phone or watch Oprah and bounce away. The few times I have skipped I have done double the next day. Result is more energy afterwards to do housework and get office work done..
    Week 3 I commited to taking my supplements (you know the ones..) so although I can't stomach the amount recommended, I have been taking the kudzu, L-Glut, etc. every day in varying degrees. Skipped once or twice on the weekend but besides that doing great.
    This being week 4 I added 2 servings of fruit daily. Body is 'functioning' alot better if you know what I mean..:H

Next week I plan on drinking herbal tea right after dinner daily which hopefully will curb the habit of continuing to consume wine from dinner to bedtime... tricky, eh...

I have never done well with deprivation but this is working for me and hopefully within a few months I will see a decrease in wine consumption and weight. If you are interested in seeing my 52 week plan I can post it.

Just thought I would share something that has worked for me for 4 weeks .. and THAT's A RECORD !!

Tips
    Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    ? Lao-Tzu

Tips,

I REALLY hope you will continue to post about this, I think I could incorporate one thing a week into my life!!!

I shall start with the Jug of water 2moro!!

I would LOVE to see the plan!
    "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

This is a loose plan with 50 items on it so far (some of it repetitous). As time goes on I will modify it as I see results or think of more important habits that I hadn't thought of while compiling the original list. Each list should be tailored to your individual goals and habits you want to ease out of your life replacing them with the good ones. Thanks for showing interest 1-2-Many.
      List of Healthy Habits I will incorporate on a weekly basis:
      1. Drink a jug of water daily
      2. Exercise for at least 15 minutes a day
      3. Take your supplements daily
      4. Two pieces of fruit a day
      5. Drink herbal tea right after your evening meal
      6. Drink a glass of water before every glass of alcohol
      7. Heeled, Tailored & Coiffed
      8. Drink tea in the afternoon before supper
      9. Bring healthy breakfast & lunch food to the office
      10. Drink lemon, cinnamon, honey combo in a.m.
      11. Be outside for 15 consecutive minutes a day
      12. Floss daily
      13. Lift weights for 10 minutes a day
      14. Eat three vegetable servings every day (1/2 c cooked or 1 c raw)
      15. Eat serving of beans, legumes every day
      16. Eat low fat dairy every day ? not non-fat
      17. Stretch before and after exercise
      18. Eat good fats daily ie. Nuts, olive oil, coconut oil or flax oil
      19. Take up a quiet daily hobby ie. Knitting
      20. Learn one new French word a day and review list daily
      21. Compost regularly
      22. Recycle regularly
      23. Eat one small daily serving of dark chocolate.
      24. Eat one of the following super foods which are: beans, blueberries, broccoli, oats, oranges, pumpkin, salmon, soy, spinach, green tea, tomatoes, turkey, walnuts, asparagus and yogurt.
      25. Find a good multivitamin that includes Vitamin B and Selenium. Look for additional calcium and if you live in the north, add 1000 IU's of vitamin D.
      26. Start each dinner with clear soup or salad
      27. Chew slowly and eat slowly
      28. Eat 5 small meals a day
      29. Eat 10 nuts a day
      30. Wake up to calming CD not Flo?s alarm
      31. Hypno tapes daily if necessary
      32. Switch ten foods to organic
      33. Gargle daily with mouthwash
      34. Find a walking partner
      35. Take up an active hobby ie. Dancing
      36. Journal daily
      37. Moisturize daily with natural cream
      38. Do a daily task that is not routine ie. Clean basement, sort photos, clean closet,
      39. Establish a daily routine and stick to it.
      40. Take teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar & CLA before each meal
      41. Use organic sea salt or herb you bought rather than salt
      42. Add 10 more organic foods to your diet ie. Meat, chocolate
      43. Use Flyers, buy on sale and look to save family business money too
      44. Follow your 20 day housework rotation
      45. Go somewhere cultural once a week ie. Museum, library, bookstore, concert et
      46. Take up a meditative activity ie. yoga, pilates, meditation
      47. Bounce for 5 minutes even if you exercise otherwise
      48. Volunteer once a week
      49. At the office work done before computer games begin
      50. Add natural soap, skin care products to your organic list
      Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

This is FANTASIC..I love it

I have a brand new hardback notebook just for this..I am very excited!

Thanks SO much for going to the trouble to post this. You know the way you read a post and say "ohh this could have been written for me" W#ell this has my name all over it...THANK YOU!!

AF 10th May 2010
        NF 12th May 2010

Comment

I went 5 months AF before even trying to improve anything else. I agree that viewing habit change as a positive choice is much better than saying what we won't or shouldn't do. I have since started eating right and exercising daily. It is working "like magic" I have been doing this for over 4 months now and have lows lots of weight and gone from "below average" to above average fitness on the treadmill test.
          I will incorporate new habits along the way but I resist a rigid schedule. I know my goals tho and each success can lead to a renewed enthusiasm for the next good thing. Thanks for the share. I think it is a marvelous idea.
          Sunny

Comment

I love this idea Tippers, I have to say I wince on each exercise one - I'm such a lazy cow, doesn't mean I don't think you're right!! I do love the whole concept tho and like Oney I'll start with the jug of water tomorrow! Thanks again
            Molly
            Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
            contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Ok, how big is the jug?

AF 10th May 2010
              NF 12th May 2010

Comment

So excited that you people want to walk this path with me. About the exercise, Molly it's only 15 minutes for now because I, too am a lazy cow. But 15 minutes is doable even for me. I figure I'll incorporate more as time goes on.. A jug of water is about 6 to 8 eight ounce glasses. Like that koolaid jug with the smile on it's face from the old days... By the way the items on the list change as I think of new and better and more time appropriate habits to incorporate. If anyone has an awesome suggestion for a daily habit that brings physical, mental or emotional wellbeing please let me know. I really am looking for positive changes and welcome suggestions.

Did everything on the list yesterday and keep a 'word document' with a table on the go to keep track of things. Pretty excited about adding the herbal tea right after dinner next week as this may be the first step in slowing down the 'YOU KNOW WHAT'... our raison d'etre for being here.... Having fun anyways.

1-2-Many, will you post your successes here too... join me??? For me, anyway, it's the first thing that has worked and given me a sense of accomomplishment.
                Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

I will most CERTAINLY join you and thanks for asking me... better go and get me water!! I am dertermined to do this....

I think this is a SUPERB thread.....and would urge anyone who has any idea's, hints or tips to post aswell.

I might incorporate the supps in tomorrow too, they are sitting on the shelf waving at me...

AF 10th May 2010
                  NF 12th May 2010

Comment

I posted this a while back but think it fits in nicely here. Not all of us get out of the bed on the right side every morning..I know I don't..but this helps....

As soon as you wake up smile. This is a whole new day with many new possibilities. Today you will do new things and meet new people. But in order to receive all these blessings you have to be open to it. Believe that good things will today.

Believe that you deserve good things. Open your mind to the possibility of great blessings. You are meant to be happy. The universe wants you to be happy and share that joy with everyone.

Whenever you meet someone treat them with love and kindness. You would want someone to do that to you. Use people as a reflection of yourself. Treat them how you want to be treated.

Do what you feel is right. Don't worry about being shy or showing your emotions. Let people know how you feel. Be true to yourself and your feelings. Remember - Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the harbor. Catch the trade winds."
                    -Mark Twain

Live for the moment. Each part of your day is a new place you've never been before. So cherish every moment. Enjoy reading the morning paper and that quiet time with your loved one. Small acts of random kindness change the world. Make an effort to be nice to that coworker you don't like the best.

At the end of everyday remember what you have to be thankful for. Think of all the great things that happened to you and the wonderful people around you that make it possible.

AF 10th May 2010
                    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

That was well worth the read. I just cut and pasted it into my Tracking sheet to encourage me. I think we're on the same page. I feel very lucky to have been born with the "Glass Half Full" mentality. I think some people have to struggle to adopt that view of life and that must be difficult. I especially relate to #4. Do, do, do, don't Wait, Wait, Wait. I do so much that sometimes I feel like I am careening out of control... and I am not talking about booze... we ride a motorcycle, go fishing in the James Bay wilderness, walk around the town at night in Mexico... i could go on and on.. wow I sound like a danger to myself. Thanks for coming on board and remember to throw suggestions at me and if I think of any new habits I'll throw them out there too.
                      Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Cool Tippers, I am one of the ones who HAD to struggle to look for the positive..I am MUCH better at it now and it has changed me as a person, I am still learning tho but I have realised how much good positive thinking can impact your life!

I need to get out of control like you Tipps....I do dress up and have disco's with the kids with the blinds up and wave at all the people who look in and think I am mad tho..

AF 10th May 2010
                        NF 12th May 2010

Comment

This is great!! Thanks for sharing. Would it be too much trouble to share your spreadsheet template here!

:goodjob::thanks:
                          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Spreadsheets!! I am CRAP at them so that would be COOL!

AF 10th May 2010
                            NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Week 4
                              52 Weeks of Change

Mon Tues Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun
                              Jug Water X ? ? X

Exercise 5 min X x x x
                              Take your supps X X X X x
                              Eat two fruits X X X X X

That didn't work very well, this cut and paste. The lines are missing and everything is jumbled but you might get the idea. Just create a table in your word document and every week add a line.
                              Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Working...
                              X