X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VooDoo Chile

Hi everyone:

Trigger killing time!

There is this new Victoria?s Secret commercial, where they play the opening bars of Jimi Hendrix? ?VooDoo Chile?. It?s an awesome piece of retro-psychedelic guitar work. To those who know it, a real gut wrencher of the soul it is. I had to hear the whole thing.

So I thrashed though my collection trying to find it, to no avail. I found a couple of CD?s of Hendrix work, but the one I wanted to hear is on my vinyl LP. I really need to get a new turntable, as the LP?s have been stuck up in closet for over 20 years.

So I found the next best thing. Stevie Ray Vaughans rendition of ?VooDoo Chile?. I pop that CD in the system, and boom?.out it blasts. Oh yea. Then the wave came. Oh, and how it came.

I used to put that particular tune on all the time, in a serious session of hard drinking, a few pain pills, a lot of cigarettes, and maybe a little of the ?other? smoke-able. It was the one tune I JUST had to hear, when I was deep in the altered states. I remember being completely blitz-krieged on whatever mix of substances I could addle my senses with, and jamming the air guitar with Stevie.

The wave came in a memory of the delirious feeling of numbness and giddy euphoria. How perfectly both Jimi and Stevie could pull the soul of deep angry blues from the abyss. So cathartic.

Then that little SOB, drinking Neil came up with his little voice. ?Hey NEIL! Wouldn?t it be great to get ripped again, and have that delicious feeling of carefree euphoria again! Oh yea! Come on, you know you WANT IT!?

It is good that sober Neil is very strong these days. It took him just a few minutes, to beat the snot out of drinking Neil.

Sober Neil says, ?Don?t you remember? Jimi died from booze and pills. He died. ?

Sober Neil says, ?Dead. As in no more music?..ever,dead?

I pop the CD out, and say, ?Enough of that. Maybe some other time.?

Tomorrow is another day to be alive, and sober. It will be fine.

Be well.

Neil

VooDoo Chile

Neil.
    YOU ROCK.

I just sent you a private message.
    Brigid

Comment

VooDoo Chile

hi my friends.
      the time has come for me to move on from here. this is my last log in.

To RJ, thanks mate. I can say no more.

To the rest of you... know that I wish you the very best that you can wish for yourselves. I leave with a happy heart, hopeful of my future.. ok with myself. I"m not skulking away for any other reason other than I need this no more. I'm not going to slip.. so I wont be back.

Brigid

Comment

VooDoo Chile

I don't know this particular song, but I am familiar with music's power to transport me back through time, and also its potential as a trigger. I have quite a few CD's that (now that you menion it) I would have to learn to hear with new sober ears.

I can feel sober Mike getting stronger every day. Drinking Mike is sitting in the corner, getting weaker and weaker, because I have been starving him. He pitches a fit every once in a while, but so far I've been successful at sending him back to his corner.

Thanks for sharing this with us, Neil.

Mike
        "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

VooDoo Chile

Neil...I'm with you buddy....Jimi is the dogs dodahs....When he did your national anthem at woodstock.....and Hey Joe.....A Legend
          I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
          One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

VooDoo Chile

Bravo for sober Neil! Keep kickin' a**!!

Comment

VooDoo Chile

did anyone notice the Jim Hendrix advertisesments in the banner?? Interesting, heh?

Comment

VooDoo Chile

Thank you Brigid and I hope you come back to say "hey" if you ever feel the need.

Music does that to me too I've been listening to a lot of jazz and classical. This fall I went to a Chuck Negron (Three Dog Night) concert and had flashbacks to my party days of much harsher substances, but I was a good little girl and drank a thermos full of hot chocolate and it was mighty tasty.
                Neil don't let that bad Neil talk to you like that again! Damn those bad little voices.

HEY it's Friday everyone have a great weekend.
                Spacie

Comment

Working...
                X