Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change

Good Saturday to you all,

Here's a little something that's been on my mind.

We all came here because we knew we needed to change something in our lives. Hopefully we are doing that, and this board supports our efforts.

In my case, I needed to stop drinking. Quit. Kaput. Done forever. To do that, of course, I have to change my routines, eating habits, attitudes, coping skills, and in some cases my relationships with friends and family. That in itself is a very big deal.

Since I've started doing that, I have found that I have a new-found respect for myself: I want to take better care of myself, and I don't want to do other things on a regular basis that will tear down my body or spirit, or that stand in the way of my growth. So I'm at the point now that my cigarette smoking has to go too. Every time I light a cigarette I am conscious of the damage I'm inflicting on myself -- I can feel it with each puff. How can I work so hard to get myself better vis-a-vis drinking, and continue to poison myself with tobacco? And smoking definitely keeps my motivation and capacity for exercise down near zero...

And it doesn't stop there. I've often talked about how busy and stressed-out I am at work. That is a very long story that I won't go into. Suffice it to say that in my department we are overworked and understaffed, and there's no possibility of getting budget for additional staff. There is now a professional opportunity for me in another department that would be a lateral move, really -- but it would be a less stressful position for the same pay. And in the long run it would offer more growth opportunities.

I have been on the market some time for a condo. I've never been a homeowner before, so this is a very exciting opportunity for me. I made an offer on one yesterday, and I think the seller just might accept it.

And finally, I've been dating someone since July.... things are going pretty well and we are talking about the possibility of his moving in with me after the first of the year.

WHEW! That's a lot isn't it??? I feel like my life is in a free-fall here.... and it's not like any of this is beyond my control, either. I mean these are all decisions that are up to me. At any point, I could choose to do or not do any of these things. Some or all of them may be wonderful improvements in my life. On the other hand, some of them could be big mistakes. (The last two on the list, I suppose.)

I know in traditional recovery circles, they say you shouldn't make any major life decisions in your first year of sobriety, because it takes that long for your body and brain to level out -- and you are at risk of making decisions for the wrong reasons. I understand that completely. And while I am only two months sober at this point, I have been working on this issue for a very long time, in one way or another. So at least psychologically, I have more of a handle on where I am than someone who just realized he had a problem two months ago. But I don't deny I might be making rash decisions because I'm feeling out of my element.

The other way of looking at things is that sometimes in life it is good to just do a thorough housecleaning and makeover. I have in the past picked myself up and moved cross-country several times, thinking this was somehow going to make my life better. In AA they call this "geographic" cures, which don't work for obvious reasons. The last geographic I did was 4 years ago when I moved back to Alaska -- so I'm on my cycle here (it would normally be time for me to move, but I'm not going to). Instead of a geographic, I'm changing the things in my life that I'm not happy with: drinking, smoking, stress at work, etc. I'm also developing skills to deal with stress in the long run: meditation, exercise, better diet.

So the question is, how much change is too much? How do you know when you're biting off more than you can chew?
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Change

Hi Mike and Kate:

A lot of you know that I stopped my alcohol, smoking, and pain pills all at the same time. I did all three last December, because I was knocked down with a case of pneumonia that had me gasping for air and passing out. Something in my body, deep down, said ?Quit?.or ?you?will?.die?? It wasn?t fooling me, or playing games with me. The core survival drive in me just said, ?Quit, or you will die?. No bargains, no conditions, no negotiating. Life, or death.

After that, it was fairly straightforward decision. Seeing as I am writing this, and not dead, I must have quit. Simple logic. This was only after years and years of just my head telling me to quit. This last time, it was deep down.

So as far as change goes, I learned to listen to something new. Being a cerebral type fellow, my usual modus operandi was to ignore what my body was telling me, and only listen to the cerebrum.

Learning to listen to what our bodies tell us, may not be so easy for everyone. In my case, it seemed completely unnatural. As if drinking, smoking, and doing pain pills was a natural way of satisfying the mind and spirit. Jiminy, was I ever screwed up.

So, spending time listening to the body, is important. This is done in meditation. I have to tell my brain to SHUT UP, for a little while several times a week. Relaxing each every muscle in sequence will tell me a lot also. Right now, my left hamstring is still being a real stubborn b*st*rd. But!?.it?s telling me something.

I went through a lot of the things others here do. Back in March and April, I did a spring cleaning like never before. My brain didn?t tell me to do those things, but listening carefully to the little things that heart, muscles, organs, tell me did. I was listening to my ?gut? feel, as it were. Throw this sh*t out it was screaming!! My head kept saying, ?Keep it! Keep it!?

So that?s why I say sometimes now, ?Do as your heart tells you.? Not as your head tells you. I was reading the other day, about how each cell in our bodies has it own sort of programming and intelligence. So it?s strange for me, since I have relied for so long on the analytic powers of my forebrain, and temporal lobes to tell me EVERYTHING.

This is a key to getting sober. This is a key to change. It may sound weird or alien, but learning to listen to my body for once, was a real clue. It will give the brain the best information there is on when, and what to change there is. It ties in with my psychological self-analysis work as well.

If you are changing too much stuff all at once, believe me, your body will tell you to stop. But only if you have learned to listen to it closely.

One other thing, is that I too, work in a situation that is a pressure cooker. I think it?s a big reason why so many people where I work use alcohol and tobacco to excess. So many people in my business have health problems. I am slowly beginning to realize, that bit by bit, things that used to tear me apart with stress, are now getting less stressful. This must mean my strength is coming back, and my mind is coming back.

So there it is. My take on the change.

Be well.

Neil

Comment

Change

I hated that suggestion in AA. How the hell could I not make any major changes for a whole year. I was scolded by my sponsor way back when because I wanted to buy a puppy for my boys. She also came down hard on me for venting how difficult it was having my inlaws living with us for 2 months with no end in sight. Our house is only 1650 sf with 5 people and a dog already. She ragged on me for being ungrateful. Got me packing my bags and out of my chair in AA. This was just one person, though highly regarded in my AA community. I was told by one member that if she couldn't get me sober, no one could. I decided I'd take the chance and do it my own way. I made lots of crazy changes I don't really want to get into after I started AA. This time, working this program, I am taking things slowly. One exception, I did start a new
      2nd job today. My fun, yet vain job in medical esthetics. It is only 8 hrs 1 day a week. It is fun...nice change of pace from the hospital, just wouldn't want to do it full time. I really admire my boss and his philosophy. Think it will be an excellent fit. I must admit, driving home, I fought feelings of hyper-happiness...big trigger for me. In addition, I leave at 0600 with my boys tomorrow for a 3 day trip to Yosemite National Park. Feeling giddy. Normally, I don't know how to deal with these emotions. This time I recognized it for what it was. It was a challenge pulling myself back to reality, but somehow managed to...so far. Will not have internet access til Wed. I will print up many of Mike's and Xtexan's posts to keep me on track. Don't know if i have adequately addressed the topic presented (as usual), but wanted to let u know where I am today. Off to my LAST soccer game of the year~ WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Change

Change

Funny I decided to stop in today with this topic. As a female alcoholic I reserve the right to change my mind about everything except wearing a bikini and quitting drinking. I missed you guys--so therefore I will be stopping in periodically. Being away has given me greater clarity--and what I needed was a break. I needed to think out some things--enough said.

Mike--I think you know in your gut whether a change is good for you or not--regardless of the amount of time that has elapsed since your last drink. I don't take every AA standard to heart--rather take what applies to me and leave the rest. I can understand why they reccomend that--some people are more messed up than others when they walk in the room. Listen to your gut. Your job change sounds like it will make you happier--that will help keep you sober. Your relationship has to be a gut thing...and if it doesn't work out its not like you can't ever move out. Smoking is one I am letting go of as well.

I am learning that to make a real change I need to change how I think about certain things. I think smoking is a dirty and dangerous habit --but I still do it. But its how I think about actually quitting. What I learned from quitting drinking is that its not hard, its actually hard work to keep drinking. The same with smoking. For me its beginning to be harder to keep smoking--rather than quitting. As corny as it sounds--but my plan is that everytime I want a cigarette--I am going to say to myself "I love myself enough not to do that". I will let you know how it goes..I am quitting tomorrow. And approapiately I have rented the movie, "Thank you for Smoking" to celebrate. On the nicoderm site they have a spot where you can track how much $$ you have saved since quitting. I have used it on my drinking...I have saved $687.85 since I quit. Can't wait to see how much I save once I quit smoking!

One thing that I do every afternoon to keep me sober is listen to the song "Bring Me to Life" by Evanescence. This song is a perfect match to how I felt when I was drinking--and the guy that she refers to in the song--I relate it to my Higher Power. I also, listen to AA leads that I download from itunes. Many have a lot of humor in them, and it keeps me pointed in the direction I want to go.

Neil so on target with listening to your "gut" and what is going on inside of you.

Kate, so glad to see that you reached out for help when you needed it. That is so difficult, but so rewarding in the end. Last week I was upset about something at work, got with my sponsor, made amends with my boss--and now I am so happy that I stayed at my job. I had wanted to leave because of embarrassing myself--yep just wanted to escape (this would be an area that I decided to use the one year rule--because it did apply for all the reasons that they suggest).

Gina sounds like you got the Nazi sponsor. Mine is so un-Nazi--which has helped me stay sober. I am also very lucky to have found a small woman's group in which there are no AA Nazi's. I actually really look forward to my Thursday meetings because we have such a great time. Tons of laughter and no one thinks that they are the AA authority. And no human being can keep you sober, other than yourself.

OK--long book here.

Kim

Comment

Change

Wonderful posts from you all..thanks for the inspiration!

Katie
          Nov 1 2006 avg 100 - 120 drinks/week
          April 29 2011 TSM avg 70 - 80/wk
          wks* 1- 6: 256/1AF (avg 42.6/wk)
          wks* 7-12: 229/3AF (avg 38.1/wk)
          wks 13-18: 192/5AF (avg 32.0/wk)
          wks 19-24: 176/1AF (avg 29.3/wk)
          wks 25-30: 154/10AF (avg 25.6/wk)
          wks 31-36: 30/37AF (avg 5/wk )

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
          http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/community/

Comment

Change

Kim,

It's wonderful to see you around these parts again!

You know the way I'm beginning to look at it (after the feedback I've gotten from people) is that maybe I should be grateful for these opportunities for change and growth, and just hang on and enjoy the ride. I do sometimes have a hard time quieting the brain just like you Neil -- and need to practice listening to my body.

As for quitting smoking, I'll be right there with you Kim. Today was supposed to be my Day 1 but I put it off one more day.... so we'll be on Day 1 together! I agree wholeheartedly with the whole "changing your mind" thing. That has helped me tremendously with not drinking -- I'm sure I can do the same with smoking.

Anyway -- thanks everyone for all the feedback and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Mike
            "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Working...
            X