Sunday November 19th, 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning lifers! I've been up since 0330 packing my bags for Yosemite. It was in the high 80's here yesterday, so I am really looking forward to the pristine mountain weather. I will be back late Tuesday, just in time to celebrate an early Thanksgiving on Wednesday. I work at the hospital on Thursday. I enjoy it as some of my coworkers are closer to me than many of my family members. I can't wait to see my 5 yo's amazement and wonderment at the enormity and beauty in Yosemite. Truly one of God's wonderlands!

Wishing you all wellness here! Glad you are back on board Kim. Sorry no topic...sure someone else with come up with something intriguing. Bye!:l

Hi Gina and everyone:

I sort of know what you mean about the 5 year old, and the seeing them get amazed by things we take for granted.

Although I don't have any children of my own, my sister has two children, that she had later in life. They are my niece and nephew.

A couple of years ago, on my parents 50th anniversary, the whole family went out to the Grand Canyon. I bought a new high resolution digital video camera just for the trip. I got some great movies of the little ones freaking out as they were completely blown away by the Grand Canyon. It was my third trip there in my life, and it was great to see them see it as I did the first time.

Earlier this year, I was visiting with my sister and brother-in-law again, and I took them all to an amusement park that I had visited as a youngster. My niece wanted me to ride with her through the "Ghost House", and just about the time it started, she covered her eyes, and kept on saying, "I'm not gonna look! It's not real! I'm not gonna look! It's not real!"

To me, it was just a bunch of cheesy plastic skeletons, and bad tape recordings, all lit up with black light and stuff. To her, it was some really scary stuff. For some reason, she thinks of me as the great protector or something.

So any way, I stil have much to learn from the little ones. The older I get, the more I need to remember how they see the world. She is too little to know about drinking, or smoking, or anything like that. She doesn't understand or know of my past problems, and maybe when she gets a lot older, I can tell her of the days when I quit, and became alive again.

I have never been to Yosemite, but it's definitely on the visit list for my retirement years (sooner rather than later I hope).

Be sure to tell us of your visit when you return.

Be safe and sober!

Neil

Comment

Ahh yes, to see the world through the eyes of a child.

Children see the wonder and beauty and magic in everything around them. They are awestruck by thunderstorms, rainbows, airplanes, anthills, big old trees, and animals of any kind.

Children live fully in the present. They don't dwell on things that happened in the past, and they aren't paralyzed by fear of the future.

Children are in touch with their emotions. They laugh, cry, or pitch a fit at the drop of a hat. When they're over it, they let it go and move on.

Children eat when they are hungry, drink (water, juice, milk, etc.) when they're thirsty, sleep when they're tired, and play when they're energetic. They just feel an urge and respond appropriately.

Children go through their lives with no need for drugs of any kind. They are perfectly capable of enjoying a meal or a party without alcohol.

Children don't generally do things to hurt themselves.

Children generally say what they mean. They don't beat around the bush. They also say what they want.

What happens to us as we grow up?

What was it that Jesus said? That we won't enter the kingdom of God unless we become like little children? Well if entering the kingdom of God means realizing our full potential and opening up our selves and releasing the divine within us -- that certainly is the truth.

Mike
      "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Hey all,

I'm hoping to make it to Yosemite next year I went to Yellowstone guess my age was around 5ish the hot pots, old faithful and the bears coming up the the car. There had been an earthquake and I remember seeing a lake in the middle of the road and a mountain split in half it was way cool.

The eyes of a child unconditional love. I'm trying to recapture the fun little girl, the person I turned into has been so serious for a very long time and it's a hard to snap out of it. The past few years I don't even think I was having that much fun drinking because I knew what was in store for me.

Bye for now,
        spacie

Comment

Mike:

I totally loved what you wrote about children. We have an 11 year old who is so full of life, love, and laughter. Where does the inner child in us go?

It goes to the stresses of this world, the job, the boss we don't like, the bills that are hard to pay, the in-laws we don't get along with, having to act all grown -up at a party, meeting, or in a jury box. Why can't we just act like who we really are?

For so long, I was a drinking fool and didn't even kinow who I was. Now, as I become more aware, I realize how much of life I have let pass me by.

Let's all try to act like a child today. Find something to laugh about, sing about, dance about! It might feel really good!

Peace,
          Mauigirl

Comment

Sounds like a good deal to me, Mauigirl!

I just got back from my first trip to Hawaii a couple of weeks ago and I must say I felt like a little kid while I was there. I saw everything with fresh eyes. I loved those big trees with trunks like big vines -- can't remember their name right now --

Mike
            "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Working...
            X