PDA

View Full Version : Weight Loss/Fat Loss/Muscle Builders Unite

wwbarb
November 21st, 2006, 10:19 AM
Part of my main motivation for stopping drinking has been to have a better body and lose weight. I realize I am very fortunate not to have health problems as I read some of the post about health issues, liver damage, life or death. Health is the primary reason for wanting to win the battle with alcohol, and weight has been a struggle with me for as long as I can remember.

I thought rather than cluttering up the abs board or overwhelming people who really are not interested in this, why not start our own thread. In fact, RJ, could we possibly have our own forum?? How cool would that be?

Would love to hear from others who are motivated to take action here also.

Barb

MonaCat
November 21st, 2006, 10:32 AM
Great idea Barb, I'd love to participate in a thread like this, it would be very useful.

spacie
November 21st, 2006, 11:01 AM
I like it, exercise is key component in our mental recovery.

wwbarb
November 21st, 2006, 12:40 PM
So what is everyone's plan of action?? This week is shot for me, so I've dubbed it the "thinking week". I am headed for "gambling town" this Thursday and plan to do a lot of walking. The fact that I am not going to be home for Thanksgiving dinner is a blessing for me - this is my biggest pig-out holiday. For all of my non-American friends, be thankful for having not having this excuse to eat!! Since I am not focusing on exercise this week, I am focusing on food. As I put it in my mouth, I am thinking, is it healthy? If not, I'll move on. Hopefully, I'll be focusing on splitting Aces and winning money!!

What's everyone else focusing on??

Barb

Roberta Jewell
November 21st, 2006, 01:05 PM
Fitness Forum

Love it. How about a new forum called "Focus on Fitness" in the Daily Life section?

Any other sugggestions welcome, of course. :-)

RJ

Newyear
November 21st, 2006, 01:10 PM
Hi All. Thanks for starting this Barb.
I started really concentrating on working out for the last month. I was very surprised how it helped me stay Abs. I had not really thought it would have that effect.
I had been a little (actually, a lot ) down lately and decided that instead of ordering pizza and feeling sorry for myself I would try something different. I had already signed up for a trainer at my gym- and paid for it - but hadn't gone any further. So I met with a trainer and was very honest about what I wanted to get out of it. I had tried a trainer before but gave up on it when it got too tough.
So she did measurements, and body fat % etc on me and we got started. I can see some progress but mostly it just makes me feel good. I honestly think it's the endorphons. My body fat % was listed on the chart as "Needs Improvement" which was after "Poor". So at this point I'm working up to "poor'!!
But, hey, that's ok. I want to keep this up for at least a year - my goal is to maintain this routine for a yearand reduce my fat% to hmmm 25%?. I have 48 sessions with my trainer - 6 months. Anyway- that's my story so far...:)
What are you all looking to accomplish? Weight loss goals or Fat reduction goals? Better eating goals?

Lisa

Newyear
November 21st, 2006, 01:11 PM
RJ- that sounds Great !!!

Thank you!

spacie
November 21st, 2006, 01:48 PM
Hey RJ, Focus on Fitness is perfect! I'm not a powerhouse of ideas but we could discuss our goals and share exercise secrets...

Roberta Jewell
November 21st, 2006, 02:49 PM
Set up!

Okay, the new fitness forum has been officially launched and you'll find it under Daily Living. I've moved this thread over to provide some history, but please feel free to start anew.

BTW, here's a wonderful online resource--I hope you'll check it out. Don't let the name fool you, it's not just for iPoders. The site is filled with music, forums, news and reviews. I just love it:

www.fitpod.com (http://www.fitpod.com)

And Spacie, I disagree. I think you and everyone here are an absolutely fabulous and limitless source of ideas. :-)

RJ

irishlady
November 21st, 2006, 02:57 PM
What a great idea. I invested in a pedometer which counts the number of steps you take each day. Your supposed to do about 10,000 steps. I work three days a week and don't come anywhere near that but on the other four days I try by going for at least an hours walk sometimes more. At the moment healthy eating has gone out the window for me, since quitting drinking I have had massive sugar cravings, probably because my drink of choice was always Full Cream Sherry which is loaded with sugar. Although this week I have noticed a decline in the craving for sugar, so I think once Christmas has passed I will get down to some serious exercise, (LOL).

Louise xx

Newyear
November 21st, 2006, 03:03 PM
Hi Louise- I think the sugar cravings do get better. I had terrrible sugar cravings at first too. And I don't normally crave sugar. I started buying ice cream and doughnuts and chocolate...But, that seems to have really leveled off and I don't really crave it anymore. Well, not nearly as much.

An hour walk is great in my book..

Lisa

November 21st, 2006, 03:42 PM
I'm in.

oh, did I say that too loudly?
how exciting! Barb, thank you for starting this. If I would have, I might have gotten a "groan.... Becca ZIP IT!" about the running!
I'm injured now and whining, hence the fat dude avatar, but this is a great idea.
I have a 5K race to run Dec 2nd. The "Jingle Bell Race" . It's to benefit arthritis research. You wear bells on your shoes!
I love making these commitments and meeting the fitness goals, HOWEVER, my stupid scale is stuck at a 10-11 pound weight loss for the last about 2 months. Won't budge.
When I have to exercise, I have a major decrease in my drinking.

Thanks, RJ for making a separate spot.

I thought about xtexan's post a while back about looking in the mirror at the gym while I was lifting weights at the gym yesterday. It DOES feel great. Kept me not drinking 1 more day:) .

wwbarb
November 21st, 2006, 05:25 PM
I am so excited and motivated! I have been doing almost nothing exercise-wise since September which is totally out of character for me. Once I start excercising, everything falls into place - I know it! Thanks so much for doing this, RJ and for everyone else for joining in.

Off to work - talk to you guys in the AM.

Waves 2
November 21st, 2006, 05:59 PM
Woo hoo

This site just keeps getting better and better. :)

xtexan
November 21st, 2006, 06:12 PM
I had a long post, and saved it notepad, and I tried 5 times to post it. No go.

Must be the universe is not ready for it. I'll let it set and "age" a bit.

Anyway, I am so glad to see this new section. It really is a major key to getting "there" for me.

Hope this post goes through. Lets see now.....

Mackeral
November 21st, 2006, 06:19 PM
How cool is this????

I'm ready for loosing the belly...BRING IT ON;)

Paddy
November 21st, 2006, 06:37 PM
Ditto. Congrats. As unsportive as I am, I'm just trying to figure out WHAT sort of workout can suit me ... I'm even thinking Pilates? Anyone doing that?

wwbarb
November 22nd, 2006, 07:13 AM
Paddy, I've never tried pilates but know some people that swear by it. It's supposed to be a pretty good workout. Anyone else try it?

Saint Jude
November 23rd, 2006, 11:03 AM
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! I'm gonna be on my stairmaster while my casserole is baking today!:H I try and do at least a 1/2 hr a day on it... sometimes get in a xx ski in the living room as well... ;)

Waves 2
November 23rd, 2006, 11:34 AM
I felt really down after school today but after a 20 minute run I feel better. I am so glad someone thought of this.

lushy
November 23rd, 2006, 12:56 PM
I just bought a pilates machine that is supposed to give an excellent workout from all of the reviews I read on this piece of equipment. I will let you know when I start using it which will not be until after the holidays because I bought it with VHS tapes and the day it arrived our VCR decided to literally blow up on us so I now need to go buy the DVD workouts. I MUST get back into exercising again.

I do exercise, however, one time a week for 10 minutes and I know this sounds crazy but I have lost 25 pounds over the last two years doing JUST that and not eating or drinking less. The key behind it is called Super Slow weight lifting. You lift extremely heavy weights but instead of doing the usual 12-15 reps you push out really slow for 10 seconds and come back for 8-10 seconds. It is so challenging to your muscle fibers that you are lucky if you can do 5-6 reps. And it only needs to be done 1-2 times a week. What is does not address, however, is the endorphin release and cardiovascular workout that getting out and moving does, which is what I need to do. I go to a trainer for this and in the last two years since going there I have gone from being able to leg press 80 pounds to 330 pounds!!!! It has made me VERY strong, and if I could cut back more on the calories I know I would see more definition. Might not work for all but has worked for me.

Waves 2
November 23rd, 2006, 03:45 PM
Wow Lusch, You kept this quiet. I am impressed. :)

lushy
November 23rd, 2006, 03:55 PM
Waves, you know me. Quiet as a mouse. Starting to finally come out of my shell here, though I guess.

Waves 2
November 23rd, 2006, 04:31 PM
How long have quiet mice lived in shells?;) ;) ;)

I'm thinking of a number. It's not much less than 1000.;)

Newyear
November 23rd, 2006, 08:05 PM
Hi lush- so, is there a name for this? Does it build mass or just strength? Does it work for arms too? Do you think it would be best to do this under the watchful eye of a trainer?
This is interesting to me and I have not heard of it before so I'm curious about it.
I'm doing leg presses of 115lbs - 2 sets of 15. I was saying earlier though that I have weak arm muscles. I wonder if this would help.

I did a pre Thanksgiving workout this morning. I did some weights, stretches, abs and then 21 min on the eliptical machine. I'm thinking of maybe adding a class to my routine - anyone have a suggestion? I'm a little scared of the spinning class - think I would have to quit mid way through. I'm interested in the yoga class though - I'm thinking it might help my lower back pain.
Speaking of - Anyone else have any injuries (sports or otherwise) they are working around?
So far it seems Becca has shin splint problem (had that once and I know it is quite painful so I wish you well) , and Barb has a foot injury - which I think is getting better.
I have lower disk problems - basically arthritis related issue with three lower disks. I've just noticed how stiff I am and I've been trying some stretches to loosen up that area.
Any other suggestions? I had enjoyed running as I said when I was younger but the dr's told me it is not a good idea with my back.

anyhoo...hope you all have a great evening-
Lisa

boycie
November 23rd, 2006, 10:19 PM
I have put on soooo much weight this past year as my drinking spirialed out of control. Really would like to get back to the old healthy fit self so look forward to getting motivated and sharing exercise tips.

KatieSmiles
November 23rd, 2006, 10:24 PM
Stretch Lisa Stretch!
I have two problem discs in my lower back. I do daily cardio as well. I have been told that cardio helps bring oxegen to an injury which in turn helps healing, seems to help me. Also massage therapy has helped me immensely. I don't quite understand why it works,maybe more blood flow to the injured tissue? I just know I suffered for more than ten years and now I am almost pain free. :) I can now run 5 miles on a treadmill (kills me tho, lol) which I never thought would ever happen.

lushy
November 24th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Lisa, it is called High Intensity Training. I found one link that might be interesting. IS HIGH INTENSITY TRAINING BEST? (http://www.drweitz.com/scientific/hit.htm). It is great for the arms; in fact I have noticed more definition and strength there than in my lower legs.

Newyear
November 24th, 2006, 04:14 PM
This is great! Thanks Katie and Lush for the info. I stretch before each workout but probably could do more- good to know it has helped your back though-I'll just keep working on it.
Can't wait to check out that website lush - esp since you said it helped so much with your arms. One of my goals ( and not actually kidding) is to wear a sleveless dress and feel comfortable. Maybe one day!

I shopped today and did not work out so I'm actually looking forward to my workout tomorrow. I should probably get a massage tomorrow too..:) - for my lower back, purely medicinal.

Thanks again-
Lisa

lushy
November 24th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Hi Lisa, now that I am looking over the info on the link I posted I am not sure it is the best represenatation of what it is all about. I would suggest Googling "superslow" or "high intensity training" and you can get more info. Good luck.

Mighty Mouse II
November 29th, 2006, 07:11 AM
I just stumbled onto this thread recently. I love that there are others who are concentrating on physical as well as mental growth as well tackle alcohol. If I drink too much I gain weight, then I cut back -- it has been perpetual for me. However, healthwise, I have always stayed "pretty close", but not absolutely within the realm of The French Scientific Institute of red wine (another words, absolutely no more than 5 a day). Since I've been on this forum, I have been able to stay closer to AMA's recommendation of two (though I'm usually closer to three). It's interesting that I am saying all of this now since I had one of the worst nights I have had in years. But today is a new day and I'm moving on.

I plan to walk an hour today and dance an hour today.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

MM