Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday, November 24th

Guten Tag!

I am hoping that all my American compatriots made it through the Thanksgiving Day in a safe and sober way. To my worldwide friends, here is wishing you the same as well.

Thought I would write a few words about being healthy.

As I left my workplace for the long rest last week, I noted that almost all of the managerial staff there was sick with something or the other. I realized that my boss, all my co-managers, and the mid-level supervisors all were coughing or sneezing with cold, flu, or something of a similar nature. A couple of them were developing bronchitis, and looked like hell, with dark circles under the eyes.

The amazing thing was that, I was not sick with anything! This is highly unusual in the extreme. For as long as I can remember, yours truly always got sick the first, or second as my immune system was never that strong. Indeed, the thing that really kick-started me on my current state of abstinence was a case of pneumonia preceded by bronchitis in December of last year.

The last few years, I was getting sick more and more often. Always a case of bronchitis, a cold, the flu or something it seemed.

Having stopped my binge drinking, and smoking, starting an exercise and diet improvement program, and getting additional nutritional supplements into my system have built my immune system up to a high degree it seems. It feels good to not be sick!

I read where pneumonia is a common cause of death for a lot of hard drinkers when they start getting older, and I guess that sort of scared me into finally making the decision. Maybe now, I can look forward to more years of life, and a good retirement run.

I know I was exposed to a massive dose of whatever had everyone down at work, as I have to sit in meetings in closed conference rooms with them several times a week. Always in the back of my mind, I wondered when the crud was going to get me! It?s had plenty of time to incubate, and here I sit now, with no trace of sniffles or coughing.

It?s just one more reason to stay the course for me. Hope you all are faring well too.

Be well.

Neil

Friday, November 24th

Hi x!
    Just here to report about the blessed T-giving I had. I truly enjoyed every moment of it. Woke up to tons of love and kisses...esp from my 5 yo. Went crazy on Wed baking...pumpkin pecan bread, dbl layered pumpkin pie, cranberry salad and artichoke dip. We (my coworkers and I) had a blast. There is truly a family feel where I work and I am SO blessed with that. My patients were well beyond appreciative. Love having that first contact with a new mom who is SO frightened of making a wrong move. I encourage her to find that natural mothering instinct within them without outside pressure. They know best!!! Just need to ignore all the MIL BS thrown upon them. I'll never forget my MIL insisting on dousing my 1st born with baby powder...highly irriatating to the lungs of adults, yet a NEWBORN!!! Holidays are a cool time in a hospital...at least in the baby ward. Would hate being there if I was sick, however! I felt sorrow for the poor souls working at Target this am...so cheerful and apologetic if their top items were not in stock. Bless them for being so kind and having the willingness to take on the crazy beasts at 0600!!! Wishing all well! I have come to terms with my 2nd speeding ticket...will need to accept responsibiity and learn from my mistake...GRRRRRR still, but am ok! Love you all! Best to everyone

Comment

Friday, November 24th

Well I had a very nice Thanksgiving too. Untraditional, but nice.

Went up to a hot springs resort about an hour out of town with a friend of mine. Had an OK Thanksgiving dinner, then napped and read for a while. Then went out and started soaking in the hot water... the air was about -20 degrees, but the water was hot hot hot.

It was quite surreal, actually. The sky was inky, velvety black, with billions of stars. I was quite comfortable in the hot water although I was aware of how cold the air was. Steam was rising all around me and my hair was frozen. I had frost all over my eyelashes and eybrows. The trees around the rock pool were coated with frost so thick that they looked as if they had been carved out of styrofoam.

I've been stressing a lot lately about all the changes coming along in my life, as I wrote about last week. In particular I've been stressed over whether to take the next step and have my boyfriend move in with me or not. Anyway I've just been in knots over this.

So while I was in the pool last night I laid back and looked up at the stars and asked the universe for an answer, or at least some direction. I did my best to stop THINKING and just focused on what was around me and what I was experiencing: the cold air, the hot water, my senses, my breathing. The tension melted away. Within a couple of minutes the answer just came to me: TRUST. Trust myself, trust the universe. Trust that I will keep learning and growing no matter what happens.

So things in my life can change (they always will -- change is the only constant in life) and I can just TRUST that I will be OK. I can either let my boyfriend move in with me or not -- and I will be OK. The only rule I have to stick to in my life right now is absolutely no drinking, no matter what. That is simple. Other than that, I don't have to worry! That's not to say that there aren't better and worse choices to be made, but I can trust that I will make it, and I will learn from everything.

That's what I did and learned on this Thanksgiving. For that, I'm thankful.

Mike
      "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Friday, November 24th

friday

I had a great Thanksgiving! In past years I would drink the night before, but not the day of. I had the energy to keep going all day...in the past there was always that scheduled hangover nap. Then I hit the stores at 5a with my parents...and you know what..I bought every single last Christmas present I needed to buy. All done..no more shopping for the holidays...I am looking forward to a peaceful lead in to Christmas--rather than the scramble to get it all done in time--and the scramble was always due to my drinking and being hungover and just not having the energy to get it done. I am planning to wrap tomorrow. Could it be I will be all ready for Christmas prior to December 1st?

Kim

Comment

Friday, November 24th

Mike, all your posts lead me to believe you are more than ok. i think you are terrific.
          Enough is enough

Comment

Working...
          X