Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very confused and frightenend.. and new

Hi Everyone,

I am an alcoholic and have been trying to quit for a couple of years now. The longest that I have gone with no alcohol is five days. Then, gradually my habit builds up again. My insurance doesn't cover any mental health care so residential treatment programs are out of the question and I just haven't been able to do it on my own. I have tried AA but find it depressing.

What is this moderation thing about? Can an alcoholic return to normal drinking and how does one go about this and how many of you have been successful at this? According to AA, an alcoholic must remain abstinant.

Ids

I think you'll find a different approach here. It's important to read RJ's book, which can be bought and downloaded from this site. The approach here includes hypnosis, exercise, and medication. Many of us hang around this site to share and have our questions answered. You have shown up on a bad day for us, as we have had some bad news that one of our beloved friends has died. But one thing you will discover is that you can connect with people here who will be in your head and heart and who will help you through the touch spots. Welcome aboard.

Comment

Dear Ids,

First of all, I second everything that fsophiah wrote, especially welcome abroad. I think that everyone here is struggling with a complex relationship with alcohol. I've been participating with MWO for about four months and one thing that impresses me is that no one's story is the same. Different parts of the program work for differing people. Personally, I've found the support of friends to be of the greatest importance. Take with you what works for you and don't worry about the rest. Roberta has developed a very broad based program. Don't feel that you have to do everything 100% or you'll gain nothing--that's the beauty of the thing. You are welcome here and you have a home.

:heart: Eustacia

Comment

Welcome Ids! I cannot add to what's been said but I too would stress reading the book. It is short and sweet! I only use the supplements, hypnosis (not as much as I should:blush, and come here (again, gotta get better there too). All in all, its been a terrific help. Do not let the sadness that permeates today discourage you, rather see it as the love, support and friendship that builds among those here.
        Hawk

Comment

Hi Ids,
          :welcome: to MWO.

It is recomended in the book that you do at least a thirty day "fast" from drinking to clear out your mind and body .

Drink lots of H20 and take the supps. The cd's are wonderful.
          Also eating the healthy foods that your body and brain need to recover from the abuse.
          Lite exercise is also recomended.

Please stick around and post in several places . You CAN do this!

Nancy:l
          "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Welcome Ids, Hope you find this program as useful as I have. AA is not for me either, the skills you will learn here are amazing. Ditto on all the advise given to you already.Good Luck, and hope to hear more from you.
            Meow-Meow
            MonaKitty

Comment

Hi Ids, welcome!!!! It's a challenge, but you can do it. You will find there are many wonderful people here. We help each other by talking about WHY we drink. Set goals for ourselves that are challenging, but realistic. Then we talk about why we did or didn't meet them. You will find so much love and support here! The important thing is to not give up. Wish you the best; let us know how we can help.

MM
              Saving the day one minute at a time!

Comment

Welcome Ids! I can completely understand your feelings of fear etc. But we are a great group and we are here to hold your hand.
                Love Jen
                Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

You can do it.

Hi Ids,

I have been on this board for several months. I was drinking up to two bottles of wine a day. For me the supplements are key. Especially the kudzu. It really works! It curtails the cravings. Now I have no alcohol at home. Just when we go out and then I may have up to three glasses. (My hub drives).

My motto now is "If I don't buy it, I can't drink it." I am watching lots of movies at night, as RJ suggested and have slowly become used to not having that glass in my hand. They say it takes 28 days to break a habit and I think there is some truth to that.

Check out the Health store at the top of this site and you can get the supps. The Gaba and L-glut help too.

So does the support we get here at MYO. Begin your journey to a new, happier you. We are here for you!!!!:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Ivy

Comment

Ids,

I, like you, have been struggling with alcoholism for many years and been in and out of AA. It never worked for me. I'd go in to avoid consequences and stay until I couldn't stand feeling like crap anymore. This is a disease that can be treated effectively with the right medication. I have been on Topamax for a month now and it immediately turned me around 180 degrees. I am amazed at how much better I feel. I'm not a doctor and don't know which med might be right for you but I went from being completely despondent to getting a second wind. It's not a hopeless condition anymore. Do a search for the Lancet Study on this site and take that to your doctor. If he/she won't write the script find one who will.

p.s. the positive effects are very dose specific. there's a chart on the second page of the lancet study that gives a schedule to increase the dosage but it seems that many people find a lower dosage and stay with it. Topamax has been tolerated in long term use up to 10 years as an anticonvulsant so it's should be safe to stay on but don't suddenly stop using it, you have to ween yourself off of it. Also it seems that waiting longer intervals in between upping the dosage may lessen some of the side effects. once again not a doctor just my own experience. Some of the side effects are short term memory loss, vision problems, kidney stones. I definetely experinced the memory loss (and still am a little) but it goes away as you adjust to it.

and to answer your question I try not to drink at all now. I've found that I can build a tolerence to alcohol still even with the medication but if I behave myself and exercise some control when I do decicide to have a drink a strange thing happens ==== drum roll ==== after one and a half beers I actually loose interest in drinking. ===applause=== I don't know how this stuff works but it's great.

Comment

Ids

Welcome Ids.

You can do this.

Because it makes sense and you really do matter in the big scheme of things - with us and in your "outside world".

Stick around, read the book, check out the supps and meds, and settle in for the journey....

We're here.

Helen

Comment

:welcome:

Ids and Mickey

:h
                        :h :h :h :h

Comment

Working...
                        X