Am I doing the right thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thought has struck me that posting my views and reporting my progress with moderating is maybe not a good thing on a forum that has other members who have to deal in their lives with major, possibly life threatening issues with drinking.

I do recognise that there are people with alcohol problems much more severe than mine, who are possibly one drink away from a bender that could result in a serious accident or even death.

So I am seriously considering signing off from this forum.

Maybe even just using the drink tracker to report my moderation is a slap in the face to people shooting for a row of zeros and they see the smarty-pants moderators like me putting in the 2s, 3s and 4s a couple of days a week.

Surely there is a risk that a person with a major drinking problem sees this and says to themselves , "that KevFromCanberra chappie seems to be doing alright with moderating, maybe I should give it a go?"

I would be grateful for any advice on this? I really don't want to be part of the problem.

Regards,
    Kevin
    Moderating since 1st December 2010

"There is no such thing as failure, only feedback"

Kev,

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. You have a Moderation goal in mind, and there is nothing wrong with that. I really don't think you should leave, you belong here just as much as everyone else does here. And I truly mean that.

Comment

People who want to drink will and if they want to use kev from canberra to drink well really thats theres to deal with, if it wasnt you it be someone or something else, If your a successful moderator i dont see why you should not post your success as it can only help those who want to really try it out.Your posting in the long term moderator forum so i cant see it as a problem,imo.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Kevin,

Any one who posts a link to Jonny Wilkinson kicking that last minute drop goal can post anywhere as far as I'm concerned.

But seriously,Kevin, I can see no problem with you posting your success and long may it continue. If coming here and posting supports your goal then keep posting. When I was drinking I could use every excuse under the sun. You name I used it.

Keep posting and sharing, opinions and thoughts are needed in most of the forums.

J x
        :l
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Hi Kev,
          I think it's wonderful if you wanted to post your successes and challenges with moderation. I think everyone would learn a lot from your experience. I almost used MWO as an excuse to drink when I saw someone I was looking up to slip and post drunken messages. (I'd logged on because I was having major cravings)... Then I realized... I wasn't going to let my computer control what I was going to do, and realized how silly I was being. At the end of the day, we are here to help each other by sharing our experiences with AL, and what we as individuals plan to do about either abstaining or moderating. I hope you stick around as your experience could possibly be an inspiration to everyone here. There are all different ways to go about this.
          Best,
          Choice

Comment

Thanks for the support and encouragement folks.

OK, I will keep posting away. I think as long as I keep posting on the moderating threads it should be OK.

My personal view is that its good for people to have a choice of solutions to a problem.

We could view the problem as being on one side of a canyon with a drinking problem and on the other side of the canyon we can see a life free from drinking problems. That life may be one where no drinking takes place, or it could be a place where moderate drinking without intoxication takes place.

In that hypothetical scenario, whatever means we use to get across that canyon has to be good.

For some people they will be lucky and find a 4 lane suspension bridge that they can use to cross the canyon quickly and with little risk.

Other's may find a rickety rope bridge with slats missing and they may nearly fall off the bridge a few times on the way. Sadly some may lose their grip and fall all the way to the bottom of the canyon and never make it to the other side. Others may not even realise that there is a better life on the other side. Others may search in vain for the bridge and never find it.

Whatever method we use to cross the canyon, the goal is to get from where we are to the other side, where we will live our life free of any drinking problem.

And I guess that is the key for me. To give up my drinking problem, not necessarily to give up drinking.

A bit like when someone goes on a diet, they dont give up eating.
            Moderating since 1st December 2010

"There is no such thing as failure, only feedback"

Comment

Working...
            X