Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A month without drinking(half way there)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there,
    My name's Tim and I'm single 34 and live in Melbourne Australia. Inspired by the Great Philosopher Homer I am attempting to go a month without drinking. Prior to this I would drink wine every day and also indulge in the occasional beer or six. I definately had a drinking problem. When i would go out and drive I would make sure i got right to the legal limit rather than just being content to have soft drink. And when I wasn't driving I'd write myself off, or at least try to.

It started to play in my mind because I felt I couldn't control myself.

My original threat was to do AA if i couldn't go a month without alcohol and like Homer the idea of never having another drink completely freaked me out.

Well today is day 15, and I must say its been a very empowering and liberating experience. After a few days in I decided to quit tobacco and marijuana as well.

I have to say I though alcohol would be the hardest but I got lucky. Very Lucky. Late on day 1 of my abstinence my girlfriend called to say she'd had enough and wanted out. We had been going out for 3 months but I'd grown very attached to her.

Usually after a breakup, I would drown myself in alcohol and dope under the false belief that it helped to ease the pain. However this time I thought if i didn't make it through 1 day without alcohol then i wouldn't be able to face myself in the morning.

When i woke up the next day I felt sad about being single, but excited about the fact I hadnt drowned my sorrows. That became a bit of a lesson for me. If i didn't need a drink after getting dumped then when did I really NEED a drink. The answer obviously is never. You never actually need a drink, and it doesn't help ease the pain. Some pain you need to feel anyway as it helps you to grow and become a stronger person.

In the past 15 days i've been to countless pubs, music shows, beer gardens etc and whilst at times the highs haven't quite felt as high(i love the experience of drinking quality wine with great food and wonderful friends), waking up with a clear head every day has felt fantastic. I felt i've lost a little but gained a lot, most importantly I have for the first time I can remember developed a real sense of self worth.

They say the road of excess leads to the path of virtue. I kept asking myself 'but where's the bloody turn off'. Well it was right in front of me. I just had to believe in myself enough to follow it.

Hi Tim and :welcome: to MWO.

Good work man on the 15 days of abs. I hope you continue .

Sorry about the girlfriend "dump" but it looks like you have already started thinking about how you will spend the rest of your life.

Keep posting and reading.

Nancy:l
    PS. Absville is a nice place to post and live! It IS a town of friendly folks who all have abs as our goal!
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Gold, thanks for the inspiring post. Just what I needed to read this morning. Keep at it!!!!
      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

I love reading the success stories! Thanks for sharing Tim and keep up the good work.

Comment

Hi Tim! Awesome post! Thanks for sharing - you sound like you are in a great place!
          I'd like to say I'm at six weeks, and feeling great about it myself!!!

Comment

Tim - you have learned so much in 15 days!! That is terrific. Sorry about the girlfriend. But you are so right about not using that as a reason to drink. A clear head in the morning is what keeps me going. It seems like a gift I give myself each day.

Thanks for posting Tim and :welcome: Glad you are here.
            Lisa

Comment

What inspiration! Thanks.
              My abs got muddled with my mods and I am very nearly close to that pitched and slippery backward slope.
              Then I read your post and reasons make sense, again.
              Thanks for that.
              Problem is its still the same life. Looks like there's lost of work to be done here. uch:
              Thanks again for the inspiration.
              :welcome:
              Yah, I know Moderation; I pass it every day on my way to Excess.

Comment

Hi Blue Moon,
                Love your post. Yes its still the same life and just because we use alcohol as a crutch doesn't mean it is the cause of all problems, or simply by stopping drinking, it will make all the other problems go away. There is much work to be done indeed, but just try taking small steps in the right direction each day, and gradually your spirit will lift and your self confidence will improve.

Comment

Hi GoldSoundz -
                  Oh, the life myopic! Just when I think you know yourself, you realize you haven't been paying attention, at all.
                  Or, maybe its just me who's been distracted by the squeakiest wheel.
                  But, the good news in the bad news is the realization.
                  And, the fix.
                  Life, it seems, takes effort to enjoy.
                  Or, at least, participation.
                  Thanks for your post.
                  Yah, I know Moderation; I pass it every day on my way to Excess.

Comment

Working...
                  X