Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday, November 27

Good Morning Absville!

Greetings and Salutations! Wake up sleepy heads! OK, everyone has had their fill of Thanksgiving dinner, and leftovers, and turkey sandwiches up the wazoo, so it's time to get moving again. (LOL I should be a drill instructor in the Marines or something. :H )

I just thought I'd share an experience I had over the weekend.

As most of you know, this isn't my first attempt at sobriety. I've had several before, some of which lasted a couple of months, and one which lasted 9 months in AA. The first time (the time I reached 9 months) I told my family and friends that I was an alcoholic and that I had quit drinking and was in AA. They all gave me support, although a few of them were clearly uncomfortable with my decision (because it made them question their own drinking, I think). Anyway, we all know how that ended.

So this time around I have been hesitant to tell any of them what was going on. This was fairly easy to keep to myself since I live 5,000 miles from any of them. I just didn't want to sound like the boy who cried wolf. "Hey, guess what? I've quit drinking again." I wanted to have some sense that this time was going to be different before I started spreading the news. After two months, I felt enough changes within myself that I was comfortable telling my closest friends what was going on. I also felt I owed them an explanation for why I had been somewhat aloof for a while. (I haven't been communicating with them as much lately... my old "drink and dial" pattern is gone, and haven't been calling much otherwise.) So I wrote a long letter explaining the depths to which drinking had taken me, the solution I've found, and the way it has changed the way I feel about myself and about life. I sent the letter by email to three of my closest friends.

Response #1 was from a guy who is wonderful and smart, but probably doesn't want to admit that he has his own drinking problem and eating disorder. I know from things he has said and things he's told others that he thinks I need to just "snap out of it" and "get over it" in regards to depression, anxiety and my drinking problem. Anyway, he wrote that he was truly sorry to hear what pain I had been in all this time, and he hoped I would eventually find my way out of it. He seemed to miss the part of the letter in which I wrote that I had found a way out, and even though I was early on the road, I was at least ON THE ROAD to recovery, and was happy and doing well. I love him but this response disappointed me ...

Responses #2 and #3 were from people who have known addicts and alcoholics and who have a better understanding of the disease. They both (independently) wrote thoughtful, supportive messages that acknowledged my current success and encouraged me to continue. Instead of focusing on the "pain" they focused on the fact that I have taken steps to reclaim my life, and offered to help and support me in any way they could. Reading them made me want to cry because I could just feel the love.

I guess the reason I'm writing this is to point out a couple of things. One is that it is important to me in my recovery to be honest with my closest family and friends about what's going on in my life. I can't expect to be successful in this if I try to hide the fact that I'm an alcoholic and constantly make up stories about what's going on with me. That is just too much deception to keep up with. And besides, I'd be denying myself the support of those who love me most. I'd be increasing the chances of relapse. (This doesn't mean I'm telling everyone in my life what's going on. Just those that I choose to tell. For me, that happens to be my immediate family and maybe a half dozen friends. Other than that, as far as anyone else is concerned, I just don't drink.) Also, if I don't tell these people what I'm doing, it seems that I'm reserving the right to go back to drinking. It's like I'm not holding myself accountable. Does that make sense? Once I've told them, if I do have a drink, they all know I'm going back on my word.

The other reason I'm writing this is just to acknowledge that people are going to respond in a variety of ways. Most people are going to be loving and supportive. Others, like my friend who gave Response #1, just won't get it. In spite of the fact that they genuinely care for us, they either don't understand the nature of addiction, or they aren't willing to face up to their own substance abuse problems -- so they give responses that are less than what we hope for. And that is OK. In the end, we tell them more for ourselves than for the response we will get.

When I sent the letter off yesterday morning I felt as if I had put one more nail in the coffin of my drinking career. Not that it's really gone forever: I can never know that for sure. But writing the letter, being as honest as possible, and sending it to those people was a way of saying "Alcohol, be gone!" ("Devil, get thee behind me!") I'm working up the nerve to do the same thing with my family next.

So anyway there you go. Some food for thought, I hope.

Mike
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Monday, November 27

Hi Mike and all in absville. I have missed you all and think of here often. Still workin my tail off and will be till the season is over. Again my heart hurts as there is sad stuff here. My love goes out to everyone and wish I could make a difference. Just know I still rootin for everyone to have success here in their journey in personal growth and sobriety. I'm still AF and will be through the holidays. I hope for strength to all. I'm checkin in more than you know. Love you all
    Gabby :flower:

Comment

Monday, November 27

Hi All. I'm doing Abs for while, so I qualify to post again.

I don't if I'll try moderating again or not. Even when not drinking much, I think about drinking more than when I'm on Abs.

Just those that I choose to tell. For me, that happens to be my immediate family and maybe a half dozen friends. Other than that, as far as anyone else is concerned, I just don't drink.) Also, if I don't tell these people what I'm doing, it seems that I'm reserving the right to go back to drinking. It's like I'm not holding myself accountable. Does that make sense?
      Makes perfect sense to me. I talked to my daughter about this today. I told her I was AF as of today and intended to be tobacco free come morning. That little dickens quit smoking two months ago and has lost 8 pounds. She looks great and is becoming quite the anti-tobacco lobbyist.

We talked about her dad too, since the last time I spent any time with him, I blew all wisdom to the wind and drank heavily. He drank himself sick. My daughter said she asked him if he'd ever considered just stopping drinking altogether to help reconcile our relationship. He responded: I've thought about it.

I've decided to quit being an idiot and give up on the relationship. I'm actively seeking a new circle of friends and dates. In one case, I think I'll be pretty upfront about my struggle with alcohol - but I haven't been yet.

Peace to all and hugs to whomever wants them.

Tracy

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

Monday, November 27

Some good thoughts here today. I'm still pretty blown away by Steve's death, and I don't have much to contribute. But I'm still here. Glad to see you here Tracy.

Hi Gabby and Mike! I've gotta go digging through my piles of papers for something and pay some bills. Life is always intervening with my need to contemplate my navel and feelings......

Love to all,

Kathy
        AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Monday, November 27

Hi Mike:

I think it's great you sent those e-mails. So far the only one who knows of my stuggle is my husband, and he has been very supportive. I have been AF since Oct. 24th, and I feel great and very proud of myself, which is something new to me in recent times. I feels so good not to be sick every other day or everyday from drinking a bottle of wine. I am so glad I found this place. Keep up the good work, you are inspiring.

-Kim

Comment

Monday, November 27

Great post Mike!
            My keyboard is not working
            but wanted you to know
            it gives me food for thought. I just bought
            Alan Carr's book
            and look foward to it

Now you all know why
            I haven't been
            posting
            Damn, this is
            frustrating
            Thinking of you all

Lisa, I'm so proud of you
            !!!!I'll write
            more when I can but I've been
            thinking a lot about your
            success!!!Congratulations!!!!

Hugs to all

Janet

ra

owj
            a

ed

ard
            yboard

Comment

Monday, November 27

Thanks Mike and everyone else...I always get a lot from all of your post.
              This is my second time 'quitting' as well..I haven't felt the need to tell many people, I guess because I haven't been drinking 'again' for that long or maybe because the first time I did quit, it sort of was a big deal for me --I was going to AA..I was emersed in recovery. Also, I've had a group of online buddies that helped me stay honest with myself pretty much the whole time I was drinking..., I was kind of monitoring myself because I knew I was engaging in some risky business. It is different for me this time, maybe because I chose to drink again..I was fully conscious of that choice, and when I chose to quit...same thing. I don't talk about it much because I think I've said it before, that I also choose not to label myself an alcoholic [problem drinker, YES] and I don't want people to associate me with their perceptions of that label...it's just where I am as human..not that I have any shame around it..I used to stand up and say I'm an alcoholic like everyone else, but it doesn't feel right...I'm making the same discernment about other labels I've taken on..for example, I feel the need to stop calling myself an artist....I've attached my self identity too much with being an 'artist'..instead of being a human being that creates art..I don't know, I'm just at peace with my choices now..my closest family members know, my husband quit with me, and my therapist and a dozen friends know...mostly their response has been reflective of how I've delivered it..light and accepting. I know my story is a little different than some because I don't have years and years of drinking..I do have years and years of not drinking. My bottom was very high the first time, and very high this time..sometimes I wonder if I fit in...but the fact that I do wonder that, tells me that I do. I'm rambling now...ttyl

Comment

Working...
              X