big belly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

big belly

Seems like my alcohol goes right to my belly. I am actually a skinny lady with a big fat belly. How do you lose belly fat?
    Meow-Meow
    MonaKitty

big belly

I have heard that when your glucose levels go up from eating too much sugar or carbs, both of which are in alcohol, it tends to settle in your belly. As simple as it sounds it is hard for most of us to do: cut the calories and don't let the majority of your calories be alcohol. Oh, yeah, and that dreaded exercise word.......
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

big belly

Me too Mona...

Who invented sit ups?
      I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
      One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

big belly

Hey-
        Unfortunately, I think some things are just genetic. Although, I mentioned to my trainer that I was sure I would never have a flat stomach no matter what I did....she said that wasn't true at all and of course I could have a flat stomach.
        I decided I would believe her
        Still not completely sure that she is right but...what the hell...guess I'll keep doing those crunches and see if I can find out.
        Of course, she didn't say how many years it would take:H

gotta go to bed....getting up at 5:10 to get to the gym and see if I can make it to 24 minutes on the eliptical.

Everyone have a great night!
        Lisa

Comment

big belly

Macks - obviously a sadist

I try to do them first and get it over with...

night
          Lisa

Comment

big belly

Okay, Lisa, you are on the spot now, to prove that "anyone", even those of us who are genetically impaired can have a flat tummy. Go girl go.....and Mr Mack, do you do sit ups? You guys can have a beer belly, but us gals, look pregnant.
            Lush, I too have heard that theory about the excess carbs going right to the belly.
            How much sugar and carbs are in white wine?
            Meow-Meow
            MonaKitty

Comment

big belly

Alcohol and Fat Burning

I copied this from a website that I love and visit frequently:

Skwigg's World

Alcohol and Fat Burning

Daily alcohol consumption will slow or stop your results. The drawbacks are probably going to far outweigh any health benefits. Your liver can't metabolize alcohol and fat at the same time. It will always get rid of the toxic substance (alcohol) first. That means that as long as there's alcohol in your system you won't be burning any body fat. If you have one or two drinks, you might stall your fat loss for a few hours. If you have quite a few drinks, it might be as long as four days before you're metabolizing fat again.

Drinking also dehydrates you, raises cortisol levels (goodbye muscles), raises estrogen levels (hello hips), lowers inhibitions (pizza anyone?). Combine that with the fact that alcohol promotes abdominal fat storage (of all places!) and it's really not worth it, not even on free day, not if you're serious about making a major transformation.

I personally don't drink alcohol at all. I'm way too freaky about my definition and nothing will wreck your abs faster. I know several women who have a few drinks once a week and they've still achieved their goals. I know other women who if they have even one drink a week can't lose that puffy lower belly or see any definition in their abs. Just how negative the impact is probably depends on your goals, age, activity level, metabolism, and a zillion other things.

If wine with dinner is part of your lifestyle, and you're not in any particular hurry to have abs like a cheese grater, you might experiment a little. See if you can have a glass of wine a few times a week and still be making progress. If it's really slow going, keep cutting back the number of drinks until you're satisfied with the level of your results. Of course, if you're wanting to radically transform yourself for a Body for Life challenge, or a tropical vacation, or a big date with a little black dress, forget the alcohol. It's the enemy.

Here are some links about alcohol's impact on muscle building and fat loss:

What do you think about drinking beer on the weekends? - Bodybuilding - Questions and Answers - Personal on Nutrition for Bodybuilding, Fitness or Weight Loss.

TeenBodybuilding.com - Big Red - Alcohol And Bodybuilding - Do They Mix?

Bodybuilding.com - Dean Goudie - Alcohol's Curse On Bodybuilders.

Go Ask Alice!: Do drinking and weight loss mix?
              Tomorrow I get to wake up and not feel guilty. :yay:

Comment

big belly

LtLM, oh my gosh, that hits me right in the gut! Wow, is this information helpful. Many thanks for sharing. I'll be checking out the websites.
                Meow-Meow
                MonaKitty

Comment

big belly

LtLM, just read all the links and they are a good read, thanks again! Does anyone know just how much sugar is in a bottle of wine?
                  Meow-Meow
                  MonaKitty

Comment

big belly

When I saw this thread, I thought you were talkin about my last avatar!! HA HA HA!!
                    Ironic that I had changed it to the Golden Gate Bridge (a picture I took while in San Fran for the race) just last evening.
                    Allie was into calling me "Becca big belly"... too funny!
                    Yup, I've got these pretty nice legs now, working on the arms, but that dang tummy after having the kids and drinking and drinking...
                    It HAS shrunk considerably since starting, but more needs to go away.
                    Good info, Lt. Thanks!

Comment

big belly

MonaCat wrote: LtLM, just read all the links and they are a good read, thanks again! Does anyone know just how much sugar is in a bottle of wine?
                      MonaCat

I think it depends on the type of wine. Remember, much of the sugar in the grapes is converted to alcohol. Go to CalorieKing - Diet and weight loss. Calorie Counter and more. and type in your favorite - it will list the nutritional information for you.
                      Tomorrow I get to wake up and not feel guilty. :yay:

Comment

big belly

LtLM--- Thanks for all that info! I had never heard some of that before (esp the part about your liver working on the alcohol first). Well, yesterday I achieved my first 30 days abs. I actually missed it I think - just realized today that it is day31` for me!! Yea! I was a little annoyed this morning because my trainer had another trainee there today. Guess I want full and complete attention. Then when I left she told me two other people would be working out with us on Thursday She said we would have 'boot camp'

I've been trying to think of this positively. What do you guys think? While I do want all the attention I was also thinking it might be ok to have others to work out with and encourage etc.

I'm still thinking about it.

The workout today was pretty intense. Lunges up and down the gym, push up's, crunches, leg lifts, jump rope (yikes that was super hard for me for some reason), and weights for arms -until I could barely lift them, + more stuff I can't really remember right this minute! Pretty sure I'll be sore tomorrow.

I sure appreciate all the encouragement here. Not sure if I'll ever get a flat stomach...but I'm gonna keep trying for it...I'll keep you all posted - thanks Monacat

Becca - like the new avitar...although now I can't say 'well, at least I don't look like beer belly guy"!!
                        How are your shin splints?

Ok....who else worked out today? And what did you do?

Lisa

Comment

big belly

Lisa, congrats on 30 days!!! My question for you is did you lose weight? I have known all this info about alcohol being burned before fat, etc., but obviously even that is not enough for me to drastically change my ways. I would love to hear the positives of what you experienced with 30 days without. Also good job on working out so hard. Keep it up!!!
                          I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

big belly

Awwwh Thanks Lush.
                            Actually, I only lost 2 lbs. But to be honest I have concentrated on working out more than the diet. I started back today with watching more what I eat. And also...not sure how exactly this plays into things, but I just started taking birth control pills again (now that I don't smoke the dr will let me). I'm having a hard time with it (seem to have pms all the time) so I'm not sure if maybe that is affecting the weight also?
                            I haven't been on the pill in years so I can't remember.

Wish I could say the lbs just dropped off....but sadly not really the case for me. But, I have decided that no matter what - even if I gain weight- I will continue to work out. I have started working out so many times and make it 2-3 weeks and then give myself some excuse and Bam....3 months later I haven't even thought of going to the gym.

One really good thing for me is that I think the exercising really aided me in not drinking. I don't know how, but for some reason this go around it didn't seem too difficult. OF course this is my 3rd-4th time trying 30 days....so maybe practice helped. But I really think it was more the exercise than anything else. Which is another reason I want to keep up the gym routine.

Lisa

Comment

big belly

Lisa, never give up, we just can't give up.
                              I don't feel awful starting and stopping when I know others are going thru similar experiences.
                              We are slow learners I guess.

Maybe you are not losing weight, because you are developing muscle tissue which weighs more than fat tissue? Thanks to everyone for sharing, so I know I am not alone on this roller coaster ride.
                              Hugs,
                              Meow-Meow
                              MonaKitty

Comment

Working...
                              X