Topa, Naltrexone and Tobacco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This has probably been posted here, but I just found it on a search of Chantrix, an anti-smoking drug. It briefly covers the new quit smoking meds, Vivitrol, talks about topa being studied for alcohol, tobacco and compulisve overeating, and naltrexone (in pill form) as being particularly effective in helping women quit smoking:

"Topiramate, for seizures, is being studied for tobacco and alcohol addiction as well as compulsive eating. It "calms" the brain by helping to regulate neurotransmitters thought to be involved in addiction. The alcohol medication naltrexone, used in its original pill form along with counseling and nicotine patches, boosted female smokers' success rates (but not males' rates) by almost 50 percent, says a study in the October issue of Nicotine and Tobacco Research."

Link:
    USNews.com: New Drugs Offer Hope to Addicts

Tracy

Tracy

sigpic

Thanks Tracy -- I had heard something about this as well.

My last attempt to quit smoking, just a few days ago, lasted 2 days. I guess I wasn't in the right frame of mind. I have set a new quit date of December 1 and am revving up again.

I happen to have the good fortune of living very near a doctor who is very well-read on the use of Topamax to treat addiction, and often uses it off-label to treat alcoholism and sometimes eating disorders (I think). I'm going to talk to her this week about the smoking thing.

I am currently at 200 mg, which seemed to be the magic dose for alcohol. I am wondering if I should titrate up toward 300 and see if it helps as I quit smoking on December 1 (this Friday). Who knows, maybe 250 or 300 mg is the magic number for nicotine in my brain? I was already planning on titrating up for "extra protection" against a relapse during the holidays while visiting my heavy-drinking family...

Anyway I know today is your DAY 1 on not smoking. Congrats on making such a big decision, and taking such an important step in your life. Keep us "posted."

Mike
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

mikeupnorth wrote: Thanks Tracy -- I had heard something about this as well.

My last attempt to quit smoking, just a few days ago, lasted 2 days. I guess I wasn't in the right frame of mind. I have set a new quit date of December 1 and am revving up again.

I happen to have the good fortune of living very near a doctor who is very well-read on the use of Topamax to treat addiction, and often uses it off-label to treat alcoholism and sometimes eating disorders (I think). I'm going to talk to her this week about the smoking thing.

I am currently at 200 mg, which seemed to be the magic dose for alcohol. I am wondering if I should titrate up toward 300 and see if it helps as I quit smoking on December 1 (this Friday). Who knows, maybe 250 or 300 mg is the magic number for nicotine in my brain? I was already planning on titrating up for "extra protection" against a relapse during the holidays while visiting my heavy-drinking family...

Anyway I know today is your DAY 1 on not smoking. Congrats on making such a big decision, and taking such an important step in your life. Keep us "posted."
      Not much to tell. I liked DAY 1 so much yesterday that I decided to do it again tomorrow. :durn:
      That's okay. I knew it would be hard and it is. "Keep trying," is what the doc would tell me.

I am edging back up on the topa, but only late in the day. I am seeing a doc about some of the side effects that seem potentially dangerous.

Mike, how do you do it? I was reeling on 75 mg. It is interesting that gave me a bit of emotional equilibrium that lasted even after I quit taking it though - like the tight little ball of my mind was starting to unwind a little. Thanks for your support.

Tracy

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

First of all -- WAY TO GO on the first day, and keep it up! Just think about how much your body appreciates what you are doing for it. Think about how your heart, your lungs, and every cell in your body are getting cleaner and stronger with every tobacco-free breath. Think about how good it is to be free from the poison, and feel sorry for those who are still slaves to tobacco. YOU ARE THE LUCKY ONE. If it's a little bit hard, don't let that deter you. Just keep on going. It will get easier with each day. Now is the time!

As for Topamax, it is a strange drug. I've been on it a few months now and still have some fatigue, and my sleep patterns are still a bit screwy. I often am tired enough to go to bed by 8 or 9 PM, and then ready to get up by 4 AM. (So I'm still getting a normal amount of sleep... it's just that I'm off my normal schedule and can't seem to get it back to where it should be...)

I seem to have a high tolerance for drugs of most kinds, though. This can be a good or bad thing, depending on the circumstances. When I went in for oral surgery last summer, the anesthesiologist said she had to give me three times the normal amount of whatever it is they give you to knock you out.... She was actually amazed because I kept waking up.

Most people find that the side effects of topa pass after a short while. However if you find they are intolerable don't sweat it.... after all, people have been quitting drinking AND smoking for centuries without any prescription drugs.

Now, I just need to follow my own advice....

~ Mike
        "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Naltrexone to quit smoking

I've fallen behind on posting to my blog but I'll be linking this shortly. Since it's been been a topic of recent interest here, I thought I'd include this article from the Canadian national news magazine Macleans. As many of you know, naltrexone (Revia) is often prescribed to reduce the pleasurable effects and craving for alcohol.

RJ

Anti-craving drug helps women quit smoking
          Naltrexone may lessen cessation-related weight gain and negative moods

"Women who are trying to quit smoking appear to benefit from taking an anti-craving drug called naltrexone in addition to standard smoking cessation treatments..."

More..
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Help keep our forum strong--make a contribution to My Way Out. Or show your support by becoming a Subscriber and enjoy enhanced features, as well!

Comment

Great article, Tracy! Thanks for the link!

Kathy
            AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Working...
            X