Oh help, Abs day one....again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back again, although I never really left -- have read every new post every day since I first visited in August. This was what was going on then....

My husband left for Afghanistan May, and that's why I've been lurking here! There hasn't been one night in the past 4 months he's been gone where I haven't downed 3 or 4 tall tumblers of gin & tonic. Before that, he was deployed to Kosovo, and it was the same thing. I bought the book, supplements, and am ready to get on with living a healthier life. I've spent hours reading the posts on this website, just haven't mustered up the guts to depart from my night time ritual! Help!
    Grace

Well, my husband is still in Afghanistan, and I'm doing a pretty lousy job of coping with my fear, lonliness, and plain old exhaustion from taking care of everything here alone. I went 1 month AF in August, but, slowly started back into the same habit of downing enough alcohol each night to be about one drink shy of passing out. Of course, like many of you, this whole drinking thing is a big secret that nobody around me knows about. So, there's boatloads of guilt, too. My palms are sweating, and my hands are shaking while writing the truth "on paper". I'm disgusted with myself!

I'm here because I know I need the support of others going through the same thing. My goal is Abs for now, starting TODAY -- I don't know if moderation will ever be an option. I've read the book, take the supps, and am exercising. I'm going to try without Topa, as we live in a small Military community, and people talk....

So, there it is! I'm praying for strength and courage to walk this new road.
    Grace

Hi Grace:

I am pretty new here as of Oct. I have been trying the abs, so far so good. I understand about the topa, I am in somewhat a similar predicament, although not militray nor small town. Nobody, but my husband knows that I have decided to stop drinking. I just wanted to wish you luck and introduce myself. I have found that this site has really helped me, along with the books, supps and CD's.

Have a great day!

-Kim

Comment

Hi Kim and Grace.
      :welcome: to Absville!
      I am happy to have some new neighbors here!
      My goal is long term abs but I find that monthly absville is a good place to hang out and I've had to start over several times.

Grace.......my son is a Marine Reserve and was in Iraq in 2003, so I kinda know how that feels. You both will be in my prayers. Keep posting and let us help you through this tough time.
      Do you have children at home? Mine are all grown so I'm dealing with a empty nest! It seems like every time I get adjusted to my life.........it changes!
      Hi to you too Kim.......How many days abs have you done? It is so hard here as we grow grapes and blackberries and make wine. I'm not even tempted with the grape but blackberry is a whole nother story!

:l Nanc
      PS. I don't do topa either......
      "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

i dont do topa either (tried and failed miserably) Feel the same sense of "have to" that the rest of you have posted. It is now or never....can't imagine how hard it is to have your partner so far away. Hugs to you. I do know that now is the time for all of us to love ourselves enough to "buck up". I just hope I can make it through the first day. (today) Keep checking in and nice to meet all of you.

Comment

Day 2 for me

Day 2 here and not by choice!
          I'm snowed in and there isn't a drop of booze in the house.:eeks:
          I live in the sticks and the nearest store is over 5 miles away...If I get desparate enough I'll hoof it..right now I'm just staying busy shovelling snow and trying to find my snowed under woodpile. BRRRRRRRR!
          Pray for snow Millie..It works!
          Good Luck
          Keep Smiling
          Kate
          Nov 1 2006 avg 100 - 120 drinks/week
          April 29 2011 TSM avg 70 - 80/wk
          wks* 1- 6: 256/1AF (avg 42.6/wk)
          wks* 7-12: 229/3AF (avg 38.1/wk)
          wks 13-18: 192/5AF (avg 32.0/wk)
          wks 19-24: 176/1AF (avg 29.3/wk)
          wks 25-30: 154/10AF (avg 25.6/wk)
          wks 31-36: 30/37AF (avg 5/wk )

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
          http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/community/

Comment

thanks pal...let it snow ...let it snow let it snow

Comment

GraceBC wrote: Back again, although I never really left -- have read every new post every day since I first visited in August. This was what was going on then....

My husband left for Afghanistan May, and that's why I've been lurking here! There hasn't been one night in the past 4 months he's been gone where I haven't downed 3 or 4 tall tumblers of gin & tonic. Before that, he was deployed to Kosovo, and it was the same thing. I bought the book, supplements, and am ready to get on with living a healthier life. I've spent hours reading the posts on this website, just haven't mustered up the guts to depart from my night time ritual! Help!
              Grace

Well, my husband is still in Afghanistan, and I'm doing a pretty lousy job of coping with my fear, lonliness, and plain old exhaustion from taking care of everything here alone. I went 1 month AF in August, but, slowly started back into the same habit of downing enough alcohol each night to be about one drink shy of passing out. Of course, like many of you, this whole drinking thing is a big secret that nobody around me knows about. So, there's boatloads of guilt, too. My palms are sweating, and my hands are shaking while writing the truth "on paper". I'm disgusted with myself!

I'm here because I know I need the support of others going through the same thing. My goal is Abs for now, starting TODAY -- I don't know if moderation will ever be an option. I've read the book, take the supps, and am exercising. I'm going to try without Topa, as we live in a small Military community, and people talk....

So, there it is! I'm praying for strength and courage to walk this new road.
              Grace
              Bless you Grace, I know it must be difficult with your husband gone! You are a champ for taking care of your self during this time! It would be so easy to escape in the bottle, but we know that makes us feel even worse in the long run. I'm like you, abs is the only way for me. I have been abs for a long time, I just recently slipped. I'm going to hang out here with you guys and we can get through this. The thing that works the best for me is the one day at a time! I set my intention in the morning and then I say a prayer of thanks in the evening for every sober day. When I stop doing that, I loose my way! So starting today, I'm back on track with my one day at a time!

I'm glad we have a place to come for support!

Oh, I'm not doing topa or any of the meds. I may look into doing the supplements again.

Comment

Hi All,
                Welcome all you newcomers.!!!!I've been around for several months but since the week of Thanksgiving have fallen back into the wine-drinking pattern.I'm back now and ready to start anew with you.

JJ, I like the idea of getting up a few minutes earlier in the morning and setting goals for the day. I know the group Women for Sobriety has always recommended that it's members spend 20 extra minutes each morning to reflect upon their goal of sobriety.
                I look foward to spending some time getting to know you all.

Janet,

Comment

vinophile wrote: Hi All,
                  Welcome all you newcomers.!!!!I've been around for several months but since the week of Thanksgiving have fallen back into the wine-drinking pattern.I'm back now and ready to start anew with you.

JJ, I like the idea of getting up a few minutes earlier in the morning and setting goals for the day. I know the group Women for Sobriety has always recommended that it's members spend 20 extra minutes each morning to reflect upon their goal of sobriety.
                  I look foward to spending some time getting to know you all.

Janet,
                  I know for a fact that it works if you work it. I like to journal, and read something spiritual. I can even post here. I've have posted inspirational messages in the past, I'll be happy to do it again. I'll start another thread. I find when I give just a little I get so much in return with recovery. WFS is an awesome program. This site feels like home though! That is so cool, I'm thrilled that I found my way back today...

That morning reflection time gains you so much in your life. I know that why do I fall of the wagon so easily! Must have something wrong with my brain! LOL:nutso:

Comment

Day 2!

Thank you all for your warm welcome!

It sure does feel good to sit here this morning without a headache and remorseful about the night before.

Nanc -- Thank you for your prayers, and yes, we do have a child at home -- our daughter is 11 -- she's our one and only! She has been quite the little trooper through Daddy's deployment. The unfortunate thing is that this is "normal" for her and most of her friends -- Having Daddy go away for long periods of time throughout their young lives. She handles it better than I do.

Hope you all have a great day.
                    Grace

Comment

Grace-great job. Hang in there!

Comment

Just reading over the thread from yesterday...I would love to hear some inspirational thoughts for the day. Here's to another day of abs! ......Toasting with sparkling water. Never heard of WFS before, off to check it out. Thoughts and Prayers for all who have the additional worry of military life.

-Kim

Comment

Working...
                        X