Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleep is important

Here is an interesting concept:

For the millions of Americans who resolve to lose weight in the New Year, success may hinge on how much they sleep. Studies published in the Journal of the American Medical Association and the Lancet suggest that sleep loss may increase hunger and affect the body's metabolism, which may make it more difficult to maintain or lose weight.
    Specifically, sleep loss has been shown to affect the secretion of cortisol, a hormone that regulates appetite. As a result, individuals who lose sleep may continue to feel hungry despite adequate food intake. Additionally, sleep loss may interfere with the body's ability to metabolize carbohydrates and cause high blood levels of glucose, a basic sugar.(Excess glucose promotes the overproduction of insulin, which can promote the storage of body fat, and can also lead to insulin resistance, a critical feature of adult-onset diabetes.
    Meow-Meow
    MonaKitty

Sleep is important

Good point, Mona. A lot of people don't realize how import regular sleep is to maintaining a health weight as well as good health in general. When you don't sleep well, you feel like you have a hangover. It affects your appetite. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Sleep is important

Thanks Mona, it is great that you have brought this up! I personally am having a very difficult time sleeping at night. I have a lot of stress in my life, and it seems like I wake up every morning around 2-3 a.m. in crisis and can't get back to sleep until 4-5. I get up at 6. I know I have to do something about it, but I really don't quite know what to do. I don't take medications, but I was thinking maybe of getting one of those hypnosis/meditation-type tapes that might help me relax and go back to sleep.

Any thoughts anybody?
      Saving the day one minute at a time!

Comment

Sleep is important

MM, I just hate it when that happens, not being able to fall back a sleep. I went through that when I was going thru the female change. I still wake up but am able to fall back to sleep now. I do keep my bedroom cool in temperature, and very dark. Also I find if I take a hot bath before bed, I sleep better. Sweet Dreams!
        Meow-Meow
        MonaKitty

Comment

Sleep is important

Thanks MonoCat, that may be the problem. I am still on a normal 28 day cycle and not showing any signs of "the change". But I am 50 and the Dr. says it may be coming soon. I do know that warm baths do relax me. I may force myself to start taking them at night though I have to admit, I'm so exhausted by the end of the day, all I want to do is sleep!
          Thanks,
          MM
          Saving the day one minute at a time!

Comment

Working...
          X