Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Back Up with the ABSers

Hello,

I used to visit this board months ago, and I have been abs for most of the time I have been away. For some reason, I figured it would be a good idea to drink on Thanksgiving. I didn't over do it but I feel myself going down that slippery slope again. I'm going to break out my CD's and start working this program again because it was very helpful for me in the past.

I perfer not to drink because it just doesn't fit well with my life style, so I'll just hang out here in the abs world and offer and receive support.

I'm glad to be back, this is day 1 for me

:new: sorta haha

me 2 (sorta) welcome back and lets have a great day!!

Comment

millie50 wrote: me 2 (sorta) welcome back and lets have a great day!!
      Yay! You can be my abs buddy!! We can cheer each other along! I just signed up on the drink count board, that alone should keep me in shape! I want to see a bunch of zeros out there for me! Thanks for the welcome!:thanks:

Comment

ok Atlanta i signed up for the drink board too...lets be "honest" and keep each other acCOUNTable. ha ha.
        little nervous about going home tonight. do you have any support at home? I do not...so that is hard. but at least i have MWO group. whew!

Comment

Welcome Atlanta..you are from my neck of the woods. Abs here too...six weeks now..good thing about Abs is that it's real easy to count...sorry, millie made me say it! :0)

Comment

millie50 wrote: ok Atlanta i signed up for the drink board too...lets be "honest" and keep each other acCOUNTable. ha ha.
            little nervous about going home tonight. do you have any support at home? I do not...so that is hard. but at least i have MWO group. whew!
            I don't have any support at home, that's why I need the board and you guys!! I'm going to the gym and then I have a good dinner waiting for me. It helps me to eat as soon as I get home and drink a big glass of water or carrot juice or something healthy.... I am going to start taking my supplements again too.

Do you have the CDs? They can be very helpful...I'm going to dust mine off and start using them again too.

Comment

dilayne wrote: Welcome Atlanta..you are from my neck of the woods. Abs here too...six weeks now..good thing about Abs is that it's real easy to count...sorry, millie made me say it! :0)
              Way to go with the 6 weeks!! I was cooking too until this darn holiday thing snuck up an bit me on the butt. But I got my big fat 0 up for today and now that its there for the world to see, that is going to be a huge help for me! I don't want ya'll busting my chops!

hehe:H :H :H

Comment

JANET!
                It's great to hear from you and to hear you are strong in your convictions to NOT return to previous patterns with the drinking, so you are back for support. I had heard before that you were doing great with the abs. Congrats for that! Should hopefully be easier this time.
                I just like havin you around! You always gave me really great advice and made me examine my ways thoroughly.
                Welcome back, and we just keep working this together. I'm trying to do a bunch of abs days too, as this month has not been stellar for me...I'm still on the mods horse, but pulling in the reigns a bit.
                Warm welcome back!!

Comment

becca wrote: JANET!
                  It's great to hear from you and to hear you are strong in your convictions to NOT return to previous patterns with the drinking, so you are back for support. I had heard before that you were doing great with the abs. Congrats for that! Should hopefully be easier this time.
                  I just like havin you around! You always gave me really great advice and made me examine my ways thoroughly.
                  Welcome back, and we just keep working this together. I'm trying to do a bunch of abs days too, as this month has not been stellar for me...I'm still on the mods horse, but pulling in the reigns a bit.
                  Warm welcome back!!
                  Yay! I'm back alright, I am so impressed with the changes in the site! Thank you for your kind words, you can see my little drinking stint on the Drinking tool board. That is going to be a great tool for me. I realize that I will need support to stay successful, and it this place was always great for that.

Good for you Becca for getting that horsey in check....I want to be pleased with myself through this holiday season.... I'm working on loving myself these days....Not something I've been very good at.

:thanks: I'm glad to be back.

Comment

hey JJ!

Janet!
                    So glad to see you back! We seem to always fall at about the same time. I fell from 'grace'?? AGAIN!!!! last Wed Nov 22nd after 49 days sobriety. I'll join in and be one of your abs partners. I will PM you more details if you want. You were always one of my favs here...so glad to hear from you!!! Stay close this time! Love ya! Gina:l

Comment

Evening all,
                      Just posted on another abs thread but will repeat myslef here.
                      I,also, fell apart the week of Thanksgiving and there was indeed a small part of me that said "What the heck Christmas season is going to be too hard .I might as well drink until New Years and start again then" I'm glad there is a group willing to try and take on the Holiday Season without alcohol.
                      Was it you JJ(is your name Janet as well ?) that said you have to take it a day at a time??? I know I do because I get overwhelmed very easily if I think about the weekend.....you see I was so worried about drinking at Xmas that I started at Thanksgiving. Isn't that crazy!!!
                      I've bought a few recovery books and hope reading them every morning and evening will inspire me.
                      I look foward to the journey and getting (re) acquainted with you.

Janet

Comment

Yay! Gina I'm so Glad to be Back!

ginaofca wrote: Janet!
                        So glad to see you back! We seem to always fall at about the same time. I fell from 'grace'?? AGAIN!!!! last Wed Nov 22nd after 49 days sobriety. I'll join in and be one of your abs partners. I will PM you more details if you want. You were always one of my favs here...so glad to hear from you!!! Stay close this time! Love ya! Gina:l
                        Please do PM me, we fell on the same day! WOW.... I'm bashing my forehead for ever leaving this wonderful place and you all! YaY! Gina is going to Abs with me...I feel physically tired, but my spirit is soaring!!! Divine intervention lead me here today! :h :thanks:

Comment

vinophile wrote: Evening all,
                          Just posted on another abs thread but will repeat myslef here.
                          I,also, fell apart the week of Thanksgiving and there was indeed a small part of me that said "What the heck Christmas season is going to be too hard .I might as well drink until New Years and start again then" I'm glad there is a group willing to try and take on the Holiday Season without alcohol.
                          Was it you JJ(is your name Janet as well ?) that said you have to take it a day at a time??? I know I do because I get overwhelmed very easily if I think about the weekend.....you see I was so worried about drinking at Xmas that I started at Thanksgiving. Isn't that crazy!!!
                          I've bought a few recovery books and hope reading them every morning and evening will inspire me.
                          I look foward to the journey and getting (re) acquainted with you.

Janet
                          Another Janet! Yes, the only way that works for me is one day at a time. I have to make a fresh commitment every day. When I don't, I go into coast mode, and before long I find myself with a drink in my hand. I have been abs many days this year, and I can see the pattern of my slipping. It's due to a lack of my maintaining my focus on not drinking. I have found that it doesn't have to be a struggle. It is hard the first few days because of the detoxing aspect. But once I get past that, its a matter of keeping a gentle focus, like you said Janet reading inspirational material is helpful, posting your plans here is helpful. I love the drink counter tool, I will be posting to that daily. You can view that tool to see my train wreck this month, today is Day One for me again. I find that I need to just get up brush myself off and get my tools back out of the tool box and use them daily. That is what I have to do to stay sober, to stay healthy because drinking is dangerous for me.

I want to be proud of myself this holiday! I will be proud of myself this holiday. Please anyone PM me if you need me, I also have my AIM ID listed in my profile, I'm usually on all day at work. I will be happy to lend an ear, offer support and ideas on how to get through the day drink free!

What books did you get Janet?? I need to dust a couple off myself!

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Comment

Hi Everyone - and hello to newcomers and those just new to me. Welcome back or welcome!
                            Janet - thanks for the congrats (30 days yesterday!) I wondered where you went....you got kinda quiet Glad you are back here.
                            One bad thing about making it to 30 days is some kind of nagging feeling that now I should drink something. Not sure if that makes sense. Like- now I don't have a goal.

I don't think I've ever mentioned this before but....when I was about 28-29 I decided one NYe to quit drinking for a year. I told my friends etc. They just thought it was kind of funny- that crazy Lisa quitting drinking for no particular reason. I think I was beginning to think I had a problem back then but I just said I felt like doing it - just cause.
                            Well, everyone knew I was doing this. So, two friends from work decided that to celebrate my making the one year goal they would come over to my apt at midnight and toast my year of sobriety with a beer. I did make it a year - I even enjoyed that year quite a bit. But they did come to my house at midnight and I drank a beer.
                            And as soon as I started drinking again..well, here I am. I guess I figured if I could go a year then I didn't have a problem.
                            Anyway, I guess this is to say that I do better when I have a specific goal. So, I am officially stating that my new goal is 60 days AF. If I don't have this goal then I could very well talk myself into stopping off somewhere this weekend to celebrate my 30 days.

So...again welcome to everyone new and 'old' here. Can I just say how happy I am you are all here? Posting here and talking with all of you has gotten me thru some difficult times. Posting here keeps me grounded and keeps me honest- with myself. I know if I weren't here I would have already made a good case to myself for buying a bottle of wine ....very soon. Now I don't want to. I want to be sober with all of you during Christmas and New Years! Yep the absolute most stressful time of year!!!! What are we crazy???? :H Kidding...we can do this.
                            Have a good night everyone. Here's to feeling great in the morning!
                            Love,
                            Lisa

Comment

Lisa

You got me thinking...especially since a lot of people are mentioning the holidays and how hard it may be not to drink. In past years I would always note the stress of the holidays and give myself a free pass to drink until January 1. And then when Jan 1 got here I just found a new excuse. For me I am already seeing how the holidays are going to be much less stressful because I am not drinking. Drinking caused the stress I was trying to relieve. Not having hangovers to slow me down and cause stress is a huge relief this season. My presents are all bought and the house is all decorated already. For me sobriety ROCKS! Drinking never delivered on the promises it made to me--sobriety though has.

Kim

Comment

Working...
                              X