Wednesday Nov. 29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wednesday Nov. 29

Just thought I would start a new thread for today. I hope everyone has a good "over the hump" day!

Something to think about.....commitment.
    I'm going to succeed at this.........how about you? We can do it!
    AF
    Nancy:l
    "There's no abiding success without commitment." - Anthony Robbins (1960~) American Author, Speaker

"Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Wednesday Nov. 29

Good day Nancy and all Abbers,

Yup, it's been pretty quiet recently, ey? I wonder how Tawns is hanging in there. That's the disadvantage with all the cyber business ... Friendships are a bit more abstract ...

Anyway, I'm still trying to deal with setbacks in AF. But I guess, it's up and down for many of us.

Well, have yourselves a great day.
    Paddy
    Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Wednesday Nov. 29

Good morning all
      Indeed I can do this....but not on my own. That's 10 Days today...tomorrow will be a new record for me.
      Thanks buddies!!!

Comment

Wednesday Nov. 29

Day3

I am on day 3 today, its a struggle between 4 and 7 when I crave, crave, CRAVE

Comment

Wednesday Nov. 29

Morning everyone...thanks for getting us started Nancy!
          Commitment..YES! I had someone tell me many years ago..or maybe I read it..that there is freedom in commitment..and there certainly is...of course getting to that place is the longest mile for sure, but when I finally surrender and commit to something, it's very freeing..not necessarily easy, but I've learned that life just isn't easy and no one said it was going to be. I'm committed right now, and I've got peace in that.

Paddy, it's a new day, and Paul - 10 days is awesome! Westendgirl - Yeah for 3 days..it's good that you know the trigger time. Have you tried to fill in that time with some new activities to help distract yourself from the craving time? Take a walk, work on or discover a new hobby that requires you to focus on it? Take a warm bubble bath...I think we need to replace our addictions with something else..even if it means getting addicted to it..I'd rather be addicted to something healthy and stimulating then something destructive and depressing.

Well, I'm doing OK...just dealing with some deeper stuff...which tends to surface from time to time, especially when I'm not drowning it with alcohol..but it's OK, I journal every day, talk to a couple of people..I'm just content knowing that I'm strong enough to feel my feelings and know that it's the only way I'll truly become whole..there is just no avoiding them or going around them...there in lies my capacity for committment...I am committed to learn my lessons in life and to grow, and there is not a shadow of doubt in my mind that in order for me to grow, I must feel my feelings...ALL THE WAY down to the middle!
          d

Comment

Wednesday Nov. 29

Day 2

Good day all,

Westendgirl -- Yes, that 4 - 7 time period is the worst. Last night I had the worst headache -- I knew that just one glass of wine (well, probably a lot more) would have taken it away, but, yay I didn't do it!

dilayne -- I loved your statement:
            I am committed to learn my lessons in life and to grow, and there is not a shadow of doubt in my mind that in order for me to grow, I must feel my feelings...ALL THE WAY down to the middle!

For me that means dealing constructively with the emotions that I like to numb and NOT feel.

This is only day 2 AF, but I'm commited to stay on this healthy road.

Hope you all have a great day.
            Grace

Comment

Wednesday Nov. 29

Good Morning All-

Today is day 32 for me and I'm committing to 30 more. I plan on experinencing the full stress, and Joy of this holiday season. Like Kim (discovery) was saying on yesterday's thread- let's just not drink this year and not add to the stress of the season. Let's not use the stress as a reason To drink but instead use it as a reason Not to.

Have a great day everyone!! I'm with you Nancy...we Can do this. And Congrats to all for AF days!!!:h

Lisa

Comment

Wednesday Nov. 29

wow. what great posts. i have been trying abs since sunday and i had a glass of wine monday and tuesday. i guess i suck. but i have to laugh, i tried mods and drank like a fiend and now i try abs and am drinking mods. i am not too down on myself because i have only had one glaass of wine and usually drink a bottle. but still...one day at a time. again, today i plan not to drink. lol. hugs to all

Comment

Wednesday Nov. 29

Good morning Absville,

Commitment -- what a great topic.

It's something that I complicated the heck out of for years and years regarding alcohol. I would "swear off" drinking time and again -- yet got back to drinking after a day or a month. I would make promises to myself, to my friends and to God and then somehow talk myself into believing it was OK to change my mind, that I hadn't really been myself when I made it, etc. I went to AA and was told that I would be an alcoholic forever, that I would always be in danger of picking up a drink, and that I could only live one day at a time. (These things are all true in their own way, but I twisted them in my mind to mean that I couldn't really commit to the long term.) I also heard in AA that I was powerless over alcohol -- and I failed to open myself up further to get the message about how to be free from it. So I told myself I had made the commitment to stay sober and had failed. But guess what: I never really had. I know this because, looking back, I can see that some part of me was reserving the right to drink again. Some part of me was secretly hoping to drink again. Some part of me was clinging to alcohol. I had not let it go. I had not made a commitment to stay sober, no matter what.

It wasn't until this time around, a couple of months back, when the something finally CLICKED for me and I GOT IT. Like Di said, there is freedom in commitment. Why struggle so? Why fight it? Just let go and it's so much easier. Suddenly I found that I wasn't trying to decide if I was going to have a drink or not -- the decision was already made. If I felt antsy at 5:00 I didn't go through that hell of "will I or won't I?" -- but I did think, "so what will I do now?" and found something to do. It was just like a phrase RJ used in her book, about hearing the prison doors close behind her as she is released...

The paradox is that the easiest things in life are also the hardest. Making this commitment was so easy for me it took almost no effort whatsoever. It was as easy as deciding to have pie instead of cake for dessert. Honestly. I haven't looked back yet, and I haven't regretted it. (Granted, I'm still VERY young in sobriety, but I'm working on myself for the long run.) But getting to the point of being able to make that choice was extremely difficult for me. I don't know why. I wish to God I could have made the commitment 6 years ago when I first tried to get sober with AA. I could have saved myself years of hell. But that's what it took to get me where I am today.

I suppose Kierkegaard was right: Life can only be understood backwards but can only be lived forward.

Let's just say that once I have glimpsed this truth, it would be, in a very real sense, a sin against myself to let go of my commitment this time.

~ Mike
                  "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Wednesday Nov. 29

Some very good posts here today.
                    Mike..I loved the thing you said about understanding life backwards but only living forward! That is so true.
                    It is said that "The Truth will set you free". I think that is a "Truth" statement!

Paddy....I'm sorry that you are having such a hard time. What can we do to help you? Tell us more. Please?

Paul in Scotland! Ten days is great! Tomorrow there will be a confetti parade in honor of your record!

WE GIRL......we've all been there..day 4-7.....stay busy and do something nice for yourself! I like long baths with my cd player and clearing part 2!
                    Lock the door!

Di.....I so agree that I must FEEL my feelings. I've ignored them for too long.

Grace......I have a grandaughter named Garce. She is a breath of fresh air! Hang in with us in these early days. This yuck WILL pass! You can do it!

Millie...is it cold there yet? I can't imagine being snowed in that much. What do you do with the time? Hobbies?

And Lisa!! Starting on your next 30 days! I FEEL another parade coming on!!! You know you don't have to be in New Orleans to do that!

Lets all "commit" to being positive for each other and for ourselves! "One day at a time"..........its all we have!

Love you all....where is everyone else? You KNOW who you are! Come on and let us hear from YOU!
                    Nancy:l

Comment

Wednesday Nov. 29

Hey Mike I used to be a social worker in Alaska. Nice to see that is where you live. wow. hey i loved your reply. you are right. i love that. thanks for the thoughts. you are a nice person.

Comment

Wednesday Nov. 29

Hey Nancy no snow yet and one glass of wine last night. damn. but i am encouraged and did meditate this morning and feel charged. dilayne you are right...do SOMETHING ELSE. lol. what a journey this whole thing. i have a quote on my computer by Anais Nin "We dont see things as they are, we see things as we are." I am trying to change my point of view like Mike and so many of you have pointed out. thanks for caring.

Comment

Wednesday Nov. 29

Wow! Very powerful posts today. I sometimes feel like I am listening to myself when I read your posts.
                          I am over month AF, and I must say I Feel Great!!! I too have numbed my pain for many years, and to be honest, even though I feel great physically, I have had a bit of the blues lately. It's like dealing with kids...it's a lot easier to say yes (in my case to the wine) than it is to say no. To supress the emotions with the alcohol is much easier than facing the pain head on. Being a part of this community has helped tremendously. Congrats to everyone for their new found freedom.

'Tis the human touch in this world that counts,
                          the touch of your hand and mine,
                          which means far more to the faiting heart
                          Than shelter and bread and wine;
                          For shelter is gone when the night is o'er,
                          And bread lasts only a day,
                          But the touch of the hand and the sound of the voice
                          Sing on in the soul alway.

-Spencer Michael Free

Comment

Wednesday Nov. 29

:h That! Thank you for sharing!

'Tis the human touch in this world that counts,
                            the touch of your hand and mine,
                            which means far more to the faiting heart
                            Than shelter and bread and wine;
                            For shelter is gone when the night is o'er,
                            And bread lasts only a day,
                            But the touch of the hand and the sound of the voice
                            Sing on in the souls alway.

-Spencer Michael Free

Comment

Working...
                            X