Breakfast suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breakfast suggestions

I am stuck on cereal and soymilk for breakfast. Too many carbs, I am sure. Any good suggestions for a high protien breakfast? I can't eat yogurt or cottage cheese, lactose issues.
    Meow-Meow
    MonaKitty

Breakfast suggestions

Hi Mona:

Have you ever read Sugar Busters? It's a great book...and has a shopping list as well. How about canadian bacon or maybe a whole wheat bagel? Life Cereal is one they recommend in the book.
    When I was pregnant this last time I had too much amniotic fluid, at risk for pre-term birth, and the mid-wife told me that sugar makes the the baby pee..etc... I used Sugar Buster's for a week and lost a large amount of fluid, and in only a week I was within the normal range again. Baby was born on due date. I continued on the Sugar Buster plan and only gained 30 lbs in this pregnancy...compared to the 60 lbs in my first!

Comment

Breakfast suggestions

eggs- you can get single containers of egg whites from trader joes and pop them in the microwave. you will need to put some spinach, mushrooms, etc in for some texture and flavor.

cedar lane makes some good organic breakfast burritos too but they include 48 g carbs

if you are still stuck on cereal, make sure it has tons of fiber

i should follow my own suggestions

Comment

Breakfast suggestions

Unregistered, thanks for the suggestions, you are good, please register and stay with us. Do you use fresh spinah and mushrooms?

Kizzie, thanks for the book info. Is there anything on the net about this program? Cute name, Sugar Busters.
        Meow-Meow
        MonaKitty

Comment

Breakfast suggestions

MC

There might be some info, but I think you need to order the book...I actually ordered a used copy from Amazon, or maybe try a used book store in your area. The book really has some valuable info in it...I really read the labels now, learned that anything that says fat free is a lie! They replace with corn syrup and corn syrup solids. Better off just eating the regular stuff. Beware of the bread you purchase too, try to get whole grains anything that says Enriched, not good, and usually the second or third item in the ingreds is corn syrup.

KC

Comment

Breakfast suggestions

Hi. I have a couple of suggestions for breakfast:

Three Egg Omelet

1 egg with yolk, two egg whites (if you feel guilty, store egg yolks for sponge cake)
            1/2 c. water
            salt/pepper
            dash tobasco sauce (optional)

Whisk together

3 T Olive oil (heaven on Earth for health - use it inside and out!)
            any vegetable combination that you like - chopped
            I typically use garlic, onion, green peppers, red peppers, sometimes celery and tomatoes (can be canned or fresh)
            Turkey bacon (optional)
            CHOPPED
            Sautee in omelet pan over medium heat until tender, not brown (about 5 min), if using meat, add at about the third minute and go to 7 min.
            Add whisked eggs - turn heat down just a touch and cook until set (about 3-4 min in lift edges and swirl unset eggs to edge). After almost set, add shredded cheese (optional). Cook two minutes longer. Slip spatula underneath one half and flip to other half (if you are not experienced in this, it may look more like a scrambled egg on top -- not to worry --
            Cook one more minute -- scoop under entire omelet to loosen, Take a plate and lay it on top of omelet pan, turn upside down so that omelet is now on plate. If it did not completely set, pop in microwave for one minute -- bon a petit

"Mock" Egg McMuffin A special delight for Weight Watcher lovers (It turns the McDonald's original from 7 points to 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 points
            Spread one slike of good quality deli turkey ham with 1/8 t butter - microwave for one minute
            Take one egg and pop it into commerical microwave egg cups or custard cup. Cook 1 minute (if using commercial egg cup, pause at 30 seconds or it might explode.
            Place on 1/2 of a Thomas' English Muffin (I use whole wheat for added nuitrition with 1 slice of cheese
            Microwave 1 minute
            Enjoy!!!!

Hurried morning Nuitrition with a smile

2 oz. smoked Norwegian Salmon, 1/4 c. chopped onion, 1 t. capers, 2T creamed Cheese, (Mix together and put on top a thickly slice of Tomatoe
            1/2 c. old fashioned (non instant) Quaker Rolled Oats (Put in deep dish bowl with 1 cup of water and microwave for one minute)
            1/8 slice of canteloupe

Leave work with a smile as there is nothing healthier for breakfast -- and it is tasty too!!!

Hope it helps.

MM
            Saving the day one minute at a time!

Comment

Breakfast suggestions

Oh yeah, I forgot, 2 oz. of sirloin steak and scrambled eggs is great too on those days where you'll be on the run and know that you won't have big meals throughout the day. Sometimes I even take leftover steak, make thin slices, sautee brocoli and tomatoes, add the steak and make the aforementioned omelet with these ingredients.

Good luck!!!

MM
              Saving the day one minute at a time!

Comment

Breakfast suggestions

I buy Egg Beater Egg Whites in a little carton, and have either scrambled egg whites or an egg white omelette with about 1/2 oz. of light velvetta and hot sauce and two pieces of light toast every morning. I add other stuff (mushrooms, artichokes, spinach...if I have on hand).
                Libby

Comment

Breakfast suggestions

These are wonderful ideas!
                  However...I'm never hungry enough in the morning for all that stuff...my standard breakfast is coffee and a whole wheat/whole grain toast with some peanut butter. Voila. I try to get the All One in too, if I remember, with my OJ.
                  What I wanted to contribute here is my newfound love of Luna Bars. If I'm off early in the morning and have little time, or I don't really feel like eating but need to get something in my stomach, they are the best! They are made by Clif Bars, but are specifically geared toward women with more fiber (3g), less sugar, 10g protein, calcium, folic acid, antioxidants, and lots of other vitamins.
                  They are a bit carby (26g), but they are meant to be energy/health bars. 180 calories.
                  Luna is also an active sponsor of the Breast Cancer Awareness Fund.

You can get them at sporting goods stores, health food stores, and Kroger now, I think, but they are more expensive this way--about $1.50 per bar. I buy a multipack of 15 bars in 3 assorted flavors (lemon zest, smores, and choc. peanut butter) for about 12 bucks at Sam's Club.

Happy breakfast!

Comment

Breakfast suggestions

Oh my gosh, so many great idea...thanks you guys.
                    Meow-Meow
                    MonaKitty

Comment

Breakfast suggestions

I'm not too good with breakfast. I have been trying recently to have a banana in the morning. I don't like fruit much and rarely eat it. Guess it felt like I was doing something good though - the potassium is high in bananas.
                      I usually drink some milk ( not good for lots of people I know) and have a bit of cheese and maybe a piece of bread. Hmmmm ...Not a great breakfast I guess.
                      A friend of mine takes prenatal vitamins and got some for me - she isn't pregnant, she got them at BJ's wholesale. She says they're great and her dr also said - nothing better. So, I've been trying to take one of those in the am too.

Can you guys tell a difference when you take multivitamins? I hate to say it but I can't tell any difference. Just wondering. Does it matter if you miss a day or two here or there?
                      I'm thinking maybe I can't see a change because sometimes I forget to take it.
                      Anyway...thought I'd ask the panel here !
                      I am still terribly sore from working out yesterday but I'm getting up at 5am to go do it all over again! flat belly flat belly flat belly........sigh
                      I would love to sleep in and not go but unfortunately ...it's not up to me...so I will go hop in bed now and set that alarm. I'll be happy about it by 7am

So- goodnight. Hope you all feel great in the morning. Just gotta keep going right???!!

love peace and happiness....and toned abs and thighs ...:H
                      Lisa

Comment

Breakfast suggestions

breakfast

I am not a big fan of breakfast food (except on really good hangover days-nothing like an egg MCMuffin to make you feel worse), but not eating in the morning would lead to me eating things less than nutritous. Two weeks ago I started putting a loaf of whole wheat bread and bannas in the car on Monday. On the way to work and on the way home I eat one slice of bread (plain and not toasted--I need to invent the car toaster!) and a banana. I also committed to an 1/2 hour of exercise each day. I don't eat nearly as much crap since my tummy is satisfied, feel awesome and have lost 5 pounds. It also helps that I am not starving when I come home.

Deprivation never worked for me. So I decided to add things rather than take away. By adding--the crappy things naturally began to fade away.

Kim

Comment

Breakfast suggestions

Sorry just to jump in here without permission, but have been lurking a bit...Thanks for all the great ideas! Definitely Luna bars when I'm on the run (snicker-If I ran there wouldn't be the need to post here). I've been trying to do more protein in the am and using more egg whites and removing 1-2 yolks. Protein is the key to my energy levels. I've actually gone severely hypoglycemic when I was not aware (nutritionally) of what I was doing to my body. It took me a couple of years and a few embarrassing episodes to figure that one out. At least I remember those, as opposed to any blackouts!:H
                          Tumadre
                          Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.
                          Plato

Comment

Breakfast suggestions

Tumadre...thanks for popping in, and you do not need permission..the more the merrier here. We are happy for your information. So you like Luna bars too? I am going to go looking for them. Any other suggestions out there for energy bars?
                            Discovery, I too am on the road, eating in my car lots. I usually have a bag of grapes, and some nuts, or cut up apples to go. Bread scares me, too high in carbs.
                            Meow-Meow
                            MonaKitty

Comment

Breakfast suggestions

Mona, whole grain bread is GOOD for you. carb schmarb.

Comment

Working...
                              X