Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miss and don't miss

Hi,

I miss finding money I would stash on purpose or money in my pockets. Don't miss spending money and not remembering.

My best to all,
    spacie

Miss and don't miss

Ha-ha!

I was in New Orleans French Quarter in 1991. I started out one fine July evening with $500 in cash in one of my cargo shorts pockets.

The next morning, I woke up on the floor of my hotel room. A bottle of wine lay on the floor, with the cork pushed in, and half gone. A receipt in my pocket indicated that I bought it at 5 AM.

I had $4 left in wadded one dollar bills. I barely had memories of hitting about a dozen different bars, and getting hooked up with, er, ah...., uh..., a "lady of the evening".

90% of my memory of the previous 18 hours was gone. Worst hangover I ever had in my life. I must have mixed a dozen different kinds of beer, wine, champagne, and liquor in my gut.

NEVER.....EVER..........AGAIN!!

Neil

Comment

Miss and don't miss

the stash

I never in my life found more than the unexpected $1 bill in my pocket. Today my husband mentioned how the household spending has decreased by quite a bit. Its not just the alcohol either. Now that I am not drinking I don't seem to need as much "stuff". I am happy to just have peace of mind. I don't need that outfit or that thingy gadget for the house. Best yet, I am not ordering every recovery book under the sun hoping that this book will be the solution to my drinking. Nothing outside of myself could do that--it had to come from the inside out--and that was free!

Kim

Comment

Miss and don't miss

I recently went through and cleaned out a bunch of old checkbooks and checkbook registers from my rat's nest of a home office. As I thumbed through the checkbook registers I noticed how many entries there were for the Oaken Keg and Safeway, the two places where I'd most often use my debit card to buy booze. I'd see one, often two entries on the same date.... and then the same thing a couple of days later. Over and over and over again. That doesn't even count the times I paid cash.

The regular clerk at the Safeway liquor store would pull the correct bottle and pack of cigarettes off the shelf and ring them up without a word as soon as she saw me walk in the door. She knew I wanted a pint of Smirnoff and a pack of Marlboro Ultra Lights 100's. She knew my date of birth by heart because she had to enter it into her cash register for me to purchase cigarettes. She also knew that I would be back in a couple or three hours later to buy a second bottle. She knew it didn't matter to me that it was cheaper to buy by the fifth, or that half gallons were on sale: we had already had these conversations. She knew me and provided a service for me, as sad as that service was. The whole thing could be accomplished without a word.

Now she hasn't seen me for 73 days. I wonder if she thinks I'm dead. I wonder how many other people's brands and routines and dates of birth she has stored in her head.

I don't miss that routine.
        "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Miss and don't miss

:l :l :l :l I deleated this because it made me sick to read it........

I've come a long way from those days and a big part of that is MWO and the support found here. "Virual is real".

Love,
          Nancy
          "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Miss and don't miss

Kim, the same thing happened to me, especially noteworthy was the effects of the topa on my tendency to be grabbing for things to satisfy me..if it wasn't the wine, it would be something to buy...
            the biggest thing for me is not missing feeling like crap in the morning.

Comment

Miss and don't miss

Right here we go,
              I don't miss waking up in the early hours, knowing I have to get up for work in about 3 hours time and I will be hungover AGAIN.

The fact that I'm going to have chronic heartburn for most of the next day.

Trying to hide the empties.

Going downstairs in the early hours just to make sure I've turned off the television......gas fire......gas stove and locked all the doors.

Most of all I won't miss coming home from work and finding a parcel bearing a QVC label waiting for me in the
              hallway, and thinking to myself " what have I ordered now? " The worst thing I ordered when drunk was a jacket made of all different shapes, colours and types of materials with bits of lace and sequins sewn all over it. Although I have had a few good items from QVC in the past ( when sober ) I only have to mention their name for the family to say REMEMBER THE JACKET and then for some strange reason they all fall about laughing!!!

To end on a serious note though, I have been AF now for 61 days ( you know I just got emotional typing that ) and I can't think of one good reason ever to drink again, but I can think of hundreds of reasons for not drinking but I'll save those for another day.

Goodnight to you all,
              Louise xxx
              A F F L..
              Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Miss and don't miss

I used to wake up to find letters to myself from myself, begging me to stop drinking. Also I received phone calls from my house phone to my mobile, leaving begging and even threatening messages. It is so weird to listen to your own drunken, slurring voice giving messages that you have no memry of. I never want to wake up to those again.
                Enough is enough

Comment

Miss and don't miss

I am so pleased that I am not the only one ordering stuff from websites and getting parcels that I don't remember ordering. I remember receiving a book from Amazon that I SWEAR I do not remember ordering. It was a frightening experience and a big wake up call for me.

I am nearly a week AF now, and I find I am looking forward to going home and watching something good or visiting a friend. I can now book things in the evening because I know I can drive there and back. I haven't driven in the dark for months (years!!!).

Comment

Working...
                  X