Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running

Hi All,

Are there any runners amongst you? I would love to run more and I do run small distances but I find it REALLY boring. Any suggestions? I want to enjoy it but every minute I am thinking "Are we nearly there yet?"

After my runs, I feel great - energised and proud of myself - but during the run I think "what's the point?"

Any tips how how to enjoy running would be welcomed.
    CW

One Small Step for Man, One Giant Leap for Mankind.

Running

Hi !! . Music really help (if you run in a park not for the streets). When i m running i push my self step by step thinking in my goals (Example: "Lets run faster, i can do it"). i ll run half marathon in 4 weeks from now (the longest distance i ran was only 12k cross country but i can do it). I love to run because all is in your mind, you control your body. You fight again yourself and when you finish the race no one can take away that amazing feeling !!.
    Best whishes
    AF since 06/11/2011

Comment

Running

CW, I jog about 4-5 time/week 3 miles per outing. Now, I'm older (58), so I'm super slow. However, I find that it's the only thing that keeps weight off me, and I feel like I go into active meditation when I jog, which is really therapeutic. I've been doing it since I was 29. It's really the equivalent of a fast walk, but gets the heart rate up a little more.

When I started I also used music, which helps take your mind off of what you're doing. Now, I live in a really pretty peaceful place and don't use music. But I highly recommend it if you're not where you get the "natural high" yet. Once you get hooked, you won't need music. After a while you will crave the exercise.

I swear by it! I do that and yoga at home (tapes by Maya Fiennes). It's a good balance of stretching/meditating.

KG

Comment

Running

I'm a runner and love it

I went from not being able to run more than two minutes on a treadmill to building up to 10k runs. Now I run half marathons pretty much twice to three times a week. I always take my ipod with me with gives me the motivation and extra push I need with the beats. Of course the other side of me is my love of alcohol which is why I have joined this site. It affects my running so much and I just arent living up to my full potential. Keep up pounding the pavements, change your routes and when you get bored try to change your thinking while running to how good you feel and how healthy and good you'll look. The one thing its given me is stamina and I have to admit great legs! Take pride in being a runner and work toward a half marathon as a goal. I am flying over to the states in Novemeber to compete in the NY marathon.

Comment

Running

Runners,

Of which I was one many years ago.

My PE teacher tried me on all kinds of things and the only thing I could do was run.

Running is not an art, it is a spirit.

When I was running I was in my own space. Nothing else was there. Just me.

I have never experienced anything so wonderful. Ever.

I wish I could do it again but I can't. The body parts of this elderly woman won't cooperate.

But I did run. Many, many miles. Not to someone else's pace, my own. It was a very spiritual experience.

I HTH,
          Cindi
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Running

Went for a great run this morning 10ks or 8 (miles) in American lingo. Did it in 54 minutes which aint bad for an old woman of 44. Enjoyed it too.

Comment

Running

Dear athletic artists,

The age factor such as a reference to being "old" is foreign to my ways.
              I was raised around european females and 100 years old is the new 20's.

I pray, please with love and respect, you do not fall prey to that idea.

It was mentioned so beautifully that it is about the spirit.
              Our spirits are infinitly timeless and beyond the limitations of a body.

One dear soul mentioned stretching.
              I am employed around Physicians and one is advising me about this.
              He said a trampoline dones wonders. Begin with 5 minutes and keep stretching those minutes to stand taller.

I have always if not often at the end of the day just adjusted myself to the end of the bed and let it all just lean to the earth on my back, it felt good.
              You can make a slant board or their are actual machines that you put yourself into and it stretches and elongates your beautiful body.

We are given an amazing vehicle to exist as long as we will be present.
              With bones and muscles and organs and an inate intelligence that is presently doing what it does best.
              Even in the presence of abuse from alcohol, such as I have done, this body struggles to love me nevertheless, like a loyal and loving caress.

Love to you~
              :notes:Theme2be

" Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them~everyday begin the task anew".-Saint Francis de Sales

Comment

Running

Signed up for the Gold Coast Half marathon in Aussie today - poor hubbie will be buying another plane ticket for me and himself of course. HE IS my support crew. Have to pay another $2000 installement toward New York Marathon next week too. Sooo if my plans to ok I will be running 30 April Rotorua, 22nd May Huntly Half marathon ( sons 21st WILL be a dry one for me the day before lol), 3rd July Gold coast, Taupo Half in August (have to book yet), Hamilton Half in October and then my first full marathon in New York in November and then REST lol.

Comment

Running

It's great to have all these runners on board! I haven't been able to run as much as I have wanted these past three months but I'm trying to get back on track. I usually run 3-4 times a week and do one race a month (10K).

mum-How much does the NY marathon cost! Good luck to you on that! What an achievement!

Comment

Running

shelbysmiles;1096402 wrote: It's great to have all these runners on board! I haven't been able to run as much as I have wanted these past three months but I'm trying to get back on track. I usually run 3-4 times a week and do one race a month (10K).

mum-How much does the NY marathon cost! Good luck to you on that! What an achievement!
                    Hey shelby - all up with the Airfares from NZ,accomodation,insurances,food,NY marathon entry etc will be close to $20,000 for me and hubbie as my supporter - we are doing a couple of days in San Fransisco and then Washington before heading home so really dear but for me will be a oncer. Gold Coast may be around $2000 all up BUT now I've entered until I catch up with my dear away in the states husband I arent sure if we can go as now I've entered he told me this morning via phone that he may be away at another conference in Aussie that week BUT the marathon is at the weekend so he'd better not bail. I may just become independent and just go do it but I dont want to travel by myself even if it is only over the ditch to Aussie from NZ. Had a great 17k run this morning, now I want sugar which is usually wine lol Had a 40 gram bag of jellybeans and a coke instead but NOT the same lol

Comment

Running

Nice! I live in the SF bay area. We love making day trips into the city! Have you visited before?

My sugar craving are pretty bad right now as well. It's okay...we burn it off we the calories from running

Comment

Running

Morning Shelby - have been to the States twice before, have been to NY, Arizona,Vegas,California - just around there.Hubbie travels more than me. I get to stay home and look after the kids lol WE should meet up in Novemeber if we get to now each other well enough. I dont bite or spin out lol - not often anyway! PS I bought some carb blockers in case I got sugar cravings so I dont put on weight and I now have a sore lower back. I bet the screw with your liver!! The POOR THINGS been through enough lol. Havent taken them today

Comment

Running

I started running several months ago and am now up to just over 2 miles every 2-3 days. I go at about 5.7 MPH. A slow jog but one I can keep going on. I am 59. since I started exercising, not drinking, and eating lighter I have lost over 60 pounds since last June.
                          I now know how to do that and feel much healthier. Every week I can go a little further or faster when I stay on the plan. Don't think I will ever run even a 1/2 marathon but maybe a 10K some day.
                          Sunny

Comment

Running

Sunny - I think your amazing - well done! :goodjob:

Comment

Running

I started my walking yesterday, did 45 mins fast walking and my aim is to do that at least 4 days a week. I felt great to get back to it yesterday! I could stand to loose a few lbs and really need some toning. Im going to weight myself tomorrow and see what I am there, im sure the walking will help!
                              Wow Sunny, 60lbs!! Well done.
                              MumOf six....17k run, wow!
                              Turn all your lemons into lemonade

Comment

Working...
                              X