what does moderation mean to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it mean not drinking every day, or drinking less each day?

for me it means not drinking every day but still getting drunk occasionally...working so far!

what does mods mean?

It's too early for me to say for definite yet. I'm hoping for no more than 3 drinks when I do drink and no more than 3 drinking days per week. However, with Christmas approaching I can see it being very difficult indeed. In fact I've already slipped once in just a week!
    Enough is enough

Comment

Good Question

I actually posed this question during a chat session a few weeks back. Like- 'how many glasses of wine in a 750ml bottle?'. When you search the net, you get anywhere from 4-6! Confusing, no?

I have done two months of drink tracking on this site and I still seem to think that I am drinking too much on paper- BUT, its way less than it used to be.... so I dunno.

Any other thoughts?

Skootie
      "I have not failed - I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas A Edison

Comment

What I would like moderation to mean and what it means in my current behavior differs. I'd love to be able to drink socially - like once or twice a week with no more than 2-3 drinks per. Currently its not that - but better than it was! Tonight I had 2 glasses of wine. Usually if I open the bottle I finish it but not tonight. That's progress!

PS - When Martha Stewart said "Fill ice cube trays with leftover wine so you can use it easily for cooking" I could not imagine what the loon was talking about. Leftover wine? What the heck is that???
        Hawk

Comment

Oh...I love that!! yes..Moderation...
          Acknowledging that there is such a thing as leftover wine.

Comment

What IS leftover wine??? I have never had it.......
            I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Leftover wine.....an elusive substance seen rarely.

Like the Holiday Hawk. [ame= ]YouTube - Sierra Mist Holiday Hawk[/ame]

(I couldn't resist - it cracked me up when I saw it)
              Hawk

Comment

I've been told that one 4-5oz glass wine a day for women.

Two glasses for men.

Then they also say that you should NOT drink even that everyday.

The same is true for beer, mixed drinks and all.
                If you go over this amount, they will record you as a "heavy" drinker.

I know...........that makes EVERYBODY I know a "Heavy drinker"...
                Sorry...
                Nancy
                "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

This is a good question...

To me...for now ..it means drinking once a week...
                  But i dont see the point of having 2-3 glasses of wine...It would be like teasing myself...But by the same token i dont want to get blind drunk...well i do but i wont if you get what i mean..

One 6 pack once a week seems acceptable to me at the moment...then maybe one 6 pack a fortnight...I'd be more than happy if i could stick to that.
                  I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
                  One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Hi Everybody, what a great subject!!!

For me moderation means always being in control and never exceeding the daily allowance allocated.

Of course, this is a trick question because the daily allowance alters depending on which country you rely upon to determine the medical recommendation for daily allowance. In the US, the AMA actually recommends two glasses of red wine a day. However, many Europeans rely on The French Institute of Medicine because they have areas around the Mediterranean where their diet suggests longevity of life accompanied by a healthy life, and they drink five glasses a day. The French Institute recommends no more than five glasses of red wine a day. So, I vacillate between two and five depending on my schedule and my ability to maintain control of my faculties. But I do limit my drinks mostly to the recommended red wine, though I do slip in a glass of Kendall Jackson Chardonney or a high quality white merlot from time to time.

Scootiemom, the reason it varies between 4 to 6 glasses is that the recommendations vacillate between four and six ounces per glass. The standard wine is 6 oz., which would be four glasses, but in some venues (like Weight Watchers) they measure the wine in four oz. increments (2 points a glass). If you follow the 4 oz., a bottle of wine houses 6 glasses I know this because if you buy the little bottles of Sutterr Homes, there are four 6 oz. bottles of wine (24 oz./.750 ltrs). And finally, a lot of times if as couples you drink a bottle of wine, you usually measure the first two out as five ounzes, so the last glass is about half of what you've been drinking, so it averages out to 2 1/2 glasses for each person per bottle, so it comes out to about 5 glasses in a bottle.

While five glasses of wine may seem like a lot, I think it depends on the circumstances. For me, if it is spaced out and accompanied with the right foods, I really believe that it is healthy, but I do think it is important to accompany drinking with the recommended nuitritional diet for people who drink red wines. It is also a lot less than I drank before I started this program. What I am finding is that I am slowly changing my drinking HABITS, and that has been extremely helpful. I no longer drink when I am cooking, with the exception of the last minute preparations before dinner. With the amount of cooking that I do, this has been a major positive impact. I also have stopped drinking because I'm stressed -- I take a relaxing aromatherapy bath with some kind of mint tea. And I stop drinking at least two hours before I go to bed. These things have had a major positive change in my life and have made a real difference.

So, while I don't make my goals everyday, I make them most days. For me, the AF days do not work, as then the drinking days wind up being a binging process that is worse than drinking every day. Of course, there is no one way to tackle this girilla and I have learned much from the shared information here.

MM
                    Saving the day one minute at a time!

Comment

Thanks MM!

That dastardly Weight Watchers spoiling all the FUN! Honestly!

I like your thinking! Ultimately, I would like to drink even less than I am now- but for now, it is way less than before! Since finding this site I have not gotten to the point of "drunk" in almost 2 months- a major achievement. I have no desire. But I do enjoy my wine- and yes, sometimes a whole bottle in a day.... but that is the difference now- through the whole day with FOOD- and only on occasion!

Skootie

PS- your Eggs are on my to do list! YUM!
                      "I have not failed - I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas A Edison

Comment

fOR ME DRINKING EVERY DAY 2-3 IS OK! WAY BETTER THAT 1015 A DAY OR MORE......THIS i CAN LIVE WITH AND FEEL WAY BETTER

Comment

Hi all

Hope you don't mind me butting into this but hoping to join you guys here after my AF month is up. Yawn! Been reading this thread with interest and as a newbie found it v interesting that there are no hard and fast definitions.

However, I figure that whatever the daily ration is, this advent calendar (specially designed for you moderators) has got to be a more exciting way of receiving it in the run up to Christmas. As can be seen, easily made and adpated for every home! Just pop your chosen amounts in and away you go. See, I'm contributing already!

All the best to you all.

NICK

Attached files [img]/converted_files/160943=230-attachment.jpg[/img]

Comment

Very clever idea for an advent calendar!!!

Well can you believe that I am sitting here after 2.5 drinks waiting for my errant mother to return home. I am almost 50. She tells people that she is 60!!!!! She tried to tell my neighbour that I was 39 years old. This is a person who saw me move in as a newly married first time bride 27 years ago. Come on Hawk and Tawny, you are good at maths!!

It's like having my children back home all over again! Waiting and waiting for them to come home safely and then pretending that you weren't worried at all!

Mind, I have done this with my mum before. Many years ago when I was 13 years old and her and Dad had split, she got a manfriend ( who she later married) and I used to sit up waiting for

her to come in then too. But then I had to race to bed and pretend I was asleep.

It is mid-night now. If she is much longer I may well resort to that!!!!!

Perhaps when I hear 60 she is actually saying 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:H :H

I can't see me being as lively when I am her age. Hey, I'm not that lively now!:H :H

Love to all as always.

Waves xxxx

Ps She has just arrived 12: 05. Don't want us worrying about anyone else. PPS I have just realised that this is not the Tuesday thread. TOugh too late!!!!
                            Enough is enough

Comment

Working...
                            X