Hi, it's Olly-Olly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, it's Olly-Olly

Hi folks, I just posted my very first post in Long Term Absteners... and realized as I was finishing that I should be starting out over here. Gee, I wish I was more computer savy and knew how to transfer that post.. but I don't. So, for further details, you can read how I introduced myself there. I've been a longtime lurker and finally plucked up the courage today to introduce myself and find a place in Absville.
    It's funny, I've been reading your posts for so long that you are all somewhat of a celebrity to me. I appreciate the wealth of wisdom, care and concern that is shared here on these boards. I've been making progress in the last year of dealing with the drinking demon. However, until this evening, this has all been very much a private and secret battle. Not that my husband, my mother-in-law, all of my friends and everyone else that knows me doesn't think I might have a problem... they've all seen me trashed. However, I don't think anyone knows just how many times I've binged. My husband travels alot. I'm fairly isolated. Let's just say, I've gone on a few "runners" (meaning several days of drinking) I've had two ugly withdrawal sessions (lasting 3 days when I felt I was dying of the flu), I asked my doc the last time for something to help me through it (which was a confession of sorts... he was great) Anyway, I can go weeks without drinking and feel fabulous. I've even gone out several times and had one or two glasses of good wine with dinner and stopped. But, I had such an epiphany this afternoon when I said to myself " I have drank for so much of my life, and many times too much, that I don't want to drink anymore." which led right on to those so familiar voices telling me that there's so much "better" in me just waiting for me to stop drinking and falling back on that self-destruction to come out, rise to the surface, be allowed to shine. So, that was the catalyst that made me sit down, sign in and introduce myself. I'd like to be a neighbor here and join the effort to live a life without the guaranteed hurt of alcohol.
    Thanks, Olly

Hi, it's Olly-Olly

HI :welcome: Olly-Olly!

What a great post. So glad you decided to sign in and move in. I know what you mean about feeling that maybe you have just had enough to drink- period. I was talking to my sister today and she said she was going out for a drink and I told her I hadn't had one in a month. But then thought ...but I've probably drunk enough already for a lifetime. So maybe I'm done now!

Anyway...welcome and so glad you posted. Looking forward to getting to know you.
    Lisa

Comment

Hi, it's Olly-Olly

Welcome Olly-o!

LOL- they are like celebrities, aren't they? It would be interesting to compare notes with you on the who's who, etc! I lurked a bit... and still do my fair share of lurking! I tune into MWO at least once daily... but I find that I am not always in the mood to chat / share. Working on that.... this is my cyber family- the supportive side of the family.... however, just having 'married- in' , I am still cautiously sitting in the corner like a wallflower, reading, observing.... getting comfy...

Nice to meet you,

Skootie
      "I have not failed - I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Hi, it's Olly-Olly

Welcome!!!!!
        Wonderful post Olly Olly!!!!! I look foward to getting to know you. Keep posting. This can be a tough time of year but we all know we'll feel so much better without the booze.
        Janet

Comment

Hi, it's Olly-Olly

That was well said Olly. I'm a newbie too. Nice to have you aboard.
          Capto

Comment

Hi, it's Olly-Olly

Hey Olly

It really, really can get better. Welcome.

Guess I'm starting to be an oldbie but without this place and it's people, I'd probably still be in a mess.

Look forward to seeing you around.

Comment

Hi, it's Olly-Olly

Welcome, Olly-Olly, and well said!
              AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Hi, it's Olly-Olly

Thanks neighbors!

Oh man, what a welcome wagon! Started my day with a little lump in my throat. Thanks.
                Not much time this morning; I have my first appointment at the gym! It's not the first time I've had a first-appt at the gym, but this time I'm hoping it'll be hand-in-hand with making my first post here and declaring to myself that I am officially going to start taking the best care of myself, that I can!! I'd love to dig up the self discipline that I would admire in myself. It's something I've repeatedly failed at... which I wonder if it has anything to do with drinking. I've read some posts here about thinking our problems are all because of drinking and once one has stopped drinking there are still the problems to deal with. For me, self discipline has always been so evasive. Unlike my husband who is a pillar of "self love" and takes such good care of himself... naturally... seemingly without any effort. The guy does his workouts daily and ENJOYS it! Anyway, I'd love to have today be the start of when I finally JUST DO IT, and start taking good care of myself. I think I'll go introduce myself in the Fitness forum, AFTER I get back from the gym. smile.
                later gaters, Olly

Comment

Hi, it's Olly-Olly

P.S.

I love my new digs!!

Comment

Working...
                  X