Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Dec 4th

Hi All,
    Happy Monday. I'm Olly and I just posted last night (under Abs) for the first time; however I've been lurking a long time. I'd love to join you and share the struggle to get fit! Or, as those I someday aspire to be: stay fit. I was thrilled when I saw that you folks started this group recently and it was one of the things that made me finally come out of hiding (as in Olly-Olly-in come free... until XTexan taught me it's Olly-Olly-Oxen free to some) Well, out of hiding and plodding like an ox this morning, I took myself to the gym for my first session with a trainer and a new membership. I've had previous gym experiences, but they've fizzled out rather quickly, every one of them. I'm hoping this new combo of posting, joining you folks and starting an exercise routine will all be the start of a new begininning. I'm 46, married and have one daughter who is a lovely 9 years old! I've been privately and secretively dealing with my alcohol demon. Haven't talked to DH about it. I've lied about it. This last year has been the worst and best of times. I've had "hit bottom" experiences in the past year with with drinking binges, a few horrible withdrawals and several black outs. All of this I've kept to myself (although I'm sure the issue in general is no secret to most folks) Anyway, I've also made some good progress by going AF for extended periods of time and having fewer and fewer drinking episodes. Posting yesterday was my commitment to declare myself AF... and start taking care of me. This group will be very important to me. Geez, at 46 I feel like I've got a finite number of years left to really get this body toned and in it's best shape... so now's the time! And, looking forward to the next 20 years without alcohol won't balance all the years it's been beating me up, but at least it's a good long stretch to look forward to. So, I'm in!! Today is Day One and it's a great day.
    take care, Olly

Monday Dec 4th

Olly, one of the best ways to get yourself better is to get moving and to eat better. Exercise out that poison and put good fuel in. Glad to have you with us. Thanks for moving us from yesterday to today.

How's everyone else doing?

Comment

Monday Dec 4th

Hi - I'm Libby - pretty new here and I want to commit to more exercise. Olly - your name reminds me of REM - one of my favorite bands. Anyway, I do yoga twice a week, but I really need to get back into the weights and cardio. I lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago (50 lbs), and managed to gain most of it back by drinking, drunk eating and hangover eating, and I am disgusted, and have very few clothes that fit. I'm moderating pretty well, although I need to add some AF days, but I am overeating, and underexercising. I commit to a minimum of 120 minutes of cardio this week and two weight lifting sessions in addition to the yoga - which I love doing.
      Libby

Comment

Monday Dec 4th

Olly and Libby, Welcome to our getting fit gang here, and best wishes in your endeavors to get healthy. I look forward to hearing more from you both.
        Meow-Meow
        MonaKitty

Comment

Monday Dec 4th

Morning Mona and Barb and welcome Olly and Libby!

I'm 43 (not married and no kids) and have also had my share of starts and stops with exercise. Time to really commit to it and keep going. I have a trainer at a gym too - but having to change to a new trainer now. I find the trainer piece very helpful - pushes me much further than I'm willing to push myself. It is quite surprising what we can actually do when we keep pushing forward.

I did get to the gym this morning but was not as inspired as usual- just tired maybe. I'm pretty happy that I went anyway - managed some abs work and 25 min on that eliptical machine.

Had pretzels for breakfast this morning....not the best start food wise today...but I have salad and tunafish for lunch so hopefully that will balance that out some.

Anyway- welcome and glad to have you here!
          Lisa

Comment

Monday Dec 4th

Lisa, Pretzels for Breakfast...LOL
            We are suppose to get all the crap out of the house so we are not tempted. How about the Luna bars, that Becca suggested?
            Oh by the way, can't recall who told me to use spinach, mushrooms, and egg beaters, but thanks cause it's great. I used canned spinach, mushrooms out of jar, threw in a couple of olives, used oil olive (thanks Barb) instead of butter, and made a one pan breakfast meal. It was fast. I suppose I could make some a head of time, then heat it in the mircowave for a fast breakfast?
            Lisa, you don't have to inspired, the fact is you made it to the gym..good girl.
            I am taking the dog walking. We both need the exercise.
            What's everyone else doing today?
            Meow-Meow
            MonaKitty

Comment

Monday Dec 4th

Tuesday Dec 5

Hey all,

Is there a protocal for starting a "new day" thread? I'm over in Europe and while it's early morning here, most of you are still snoozing...

Libmit, I love REM too... what's the olly reference? Thanks all for the warm welcome.

I'm off to Day two at the gym. Geez, already having to fight my procrastinator demon. But, I'm ready.

I had a small bowl of hot oatmeal , with splenda and lots of cinamon last night (not too late) for my "sweet fix". Definitely a fiber kick!

thanks WWBarb, I'll focus on "poisoin out, good stuff in" this morning while I'm working out...

have a good one, all
              Olly

Comment

Monday Dec 4th

A little late here Ollie, but the REM reference is on Automatic for the People - Drive. R.E.M. - Automatic for the People has the lyrics.
                Libby

Comment

Monday Dec 4th

Ahh-haa!! Olly Olly "in come free".... thanks Libby, now I can quit walking around feeling like an OX (Unless it's time to go to the gym... and then I can't help it)

Comment

Monday Dec 4th

Hi All,

:new:

Glad to see that there's a place for us "Quit n Fitters".......I am on AF day 3 so still not ready for that trip back to the gym. Going through withdrawal and getting some really fitful sleep......so thinking that I need a couple of more days to rest up the bod. I love exercising when I am committed. Problem is.....like most alcoholics, everything that I do is to EXCESS. So, when it comes to exercise, I am either at the gym every day or Not At All. That is pretty much my standard attitude toward everything..... Hoping to change that though. Want to remain Alcohol-free, but try to moderate everything else in my life.......really related to your post previously, Olly.......about going to the gym every day, getting sore, then quitting. That's me!! And sometimes, I would go exercise my brains out, feel great......and that would be my excuse to go buy a couple of bottles of wine!! Geez......the rationale of an alcoholic,eh??

Anyway, I have been lurking........and just officially joined on Wednesday. I would love for all of you to share fitness/nutrition tips. I have been a "gym bunny" before, but now just want to be healthy, not obsessed!

Stay healthy......

Scarlet

Comment

Monday Dec 4th

Scarlet, you do whatever it takes to stay strong. But, a word of warning.... watch out for that "early days" diet. There is a theory that reducing your sugar - drastically - will help with the withdrawals and the cravings. Good luck... I think I just sat back and ate my way through the first week!!

Catch up with you later!
                      Olly

Comment

Working...
                      X