Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuesday Dec. 5

Good morning Absville,

I've always heard that "payback is tough".
    Here's a joke to get us smiling today.
    When my three-year-old son opened the birthday gift from his grandmother, he discovered a water pistol. He squealed with delight and headed for the nearest sink. I was not so pleased.

I turned to Mom and said, "I'm surprised at you. Don't you remember how we used to drive you crazy with water guns?"

Mom smiled and then replied....."I remember."
    Have a good one!

:h Nancy
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Tuesday Dec. 5

I'm so glad Nancy correctly dated the thread today. I think I'll try and curb my enthusiasm and early-birdiasm for awhile.

I loved the pay-back water gun story. I remember one Christmas morning, a long time ago, I was the youngest ( 9 yrs old) of three brothers; the closest friend of my middle brother gave me a REAL Army bugle!

So far so good.

Best,

Capto

Comment

Tuesday Dec. 5

Me thinks we need a proper welcome for some new neighbors!:welcome: Becca,Olly ,Capto,Andy, Miss Sue, Gina, Paul,Tawny and anybody else I missed. I know not everbody is new, but I mean in Absville! It has been kinda lonely here but to see it picking up!
      We do mess up some here so don't feel like you can't post if you do.

Gina.....the AA meetings sounded like a good idea. I keep thinking that I'll find a good one but around here is slim pickins!

Kate.....good to have you here all the way from OZ!

Lisa...congrats on 37 days. I think your host will understand on the 15th. I have found Jewish people to be very kind and understanding.

Di.....Christmas stress.........there should be a law!

Paul........I love Popeye and Oliveoil! Is that how you spell it? I can just hear her saying."OH Popeyeeee".

:l To all.....Nancy
      "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Tuesday Dec. 5

Good Morning All,

Nancy -- Great story about "paybacks".....Having an 11 year old daughter, thoughts about paybacks are rather disturbing! I'm just wondering if I'm going to get it back for the antics my Parents never found out about? I hope not!

Today is AF day 8 for me, and I'm feeling a lot better than a week ago. Last night was the second night in a row without startling awake with a panic attack. I wonder if those had anything to do with my blood sugar adjusting to life with out all of the simple sugars in the alcohol?

Hope you all have a great day.
        Grace

Comment

Tuesday Dec. 5

Good morning all!

Nancy, you are so sweet--the term I have heard is "paybacks are Hell!" My mother and I laugh now because I was such an awful teen and gave her a terrible time. She cursed me with the "Mommy's Curse" one time, which is "I hope you have a daughter JUST LIKE YOU!" Not nice, for sure, but she was at her wit's end with me! Well now, when Maddy is acting up and I am about to pull my hair out, I will call her, and tell her the Mommy's Curse has come home to roost. She is very supportive, and it usually will help me to settle down and put things in perspective!!

I also join in welcoming everyone who is new to Absville. It's a great, supportive place. You'll be right at home in no time!

I'm off to shower and go to work. It's a long day today. Darn, it's cold up here! 26 Degrees, brrrr!!

Hugs,

Kathy:l
          AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Tuesday Dec. 5

Good morning Absville. I have the day off today and plan on catching up with all the Christmas business I have fallen behind on. I have a cookie exchange party to attend on Sunday that I need to scourer my recipes for.
            Starting back on All One smoothies today. Not sure why I stopped. Gotta stay vigilant.
            Nancy, I feel fortunate living in a large county with TONS of AA meetings to choose from. If I don't like one, there are many others! There is an Alano Club less than 1/2 mile from my house. Some hang out there all day to read, socialize,whatever. It even has an AF bar selling all sorts of bevvies and snacks. Also the weather is never a factor for me in getting to meetings. I can imagine how difficult it would be if there were only a few to choose from.
            Grace~great job on day 8! I have been experiencing nasty panic attacks the past 2 nights. Looking forward to a good night sleep soon!
            Wishing everyone success on staying AF today! Love, Gina:l
            :welcome: to all just joining us!!

Comment

Tuesday Dec. 5

Thanks for the welcome. I had been lingering in the moderation area, but decided I wanted to take some serious time off from the booze. I am glad to say this is my 10TH day AF. Double digits. Yes!!!

I think the Campral is working now that I have stopped drinking. Also, the vitamins and supps are helping, too. I just ordered some more (only have one Kudzu pill left!) Also, my anxiety/panic attacks have disappeared --- obviously a direct result of not drinking.

Anyway, I'll admit it, in the back of my mind, I am hoping to become a moderate drinker again. Taking a long time off gives me confidence that if I do got back to moderate drinking and slip, I can always come back to absville --- I know I have the strength to do that and that is very empowering.

I also wanted to share some advice:
              Couple of things to do when you feel like drinking:
              1. Pop a GABA, L-Glut or Kudzu.
              2. Watch a movie or hit the gym.
              3. Call an old friend.
              4. Fix something that's been bothering you in your house (heck, hang a picture, dust, clean, do something).
              5. Eat something spicy --- sushi with a lot wasabi does it for me!
              6. Hit the boards here, or chat.
              7. Remember something really bad that you did while drunk or remember how it feels to wake up from a blackout...the guilt, the shame (that usually works for me).

Comment

Tuesday Dec. 5

Thank you all so much for the very warm welcome. This adjustment is going to be difficult. I felt better yesterday about it.... today I'm feeling lost and sad and defeated. I've failed and am on the verge of tears all the time.
                It just went downhill so fast... things were fine, fine, fine with a few slips that I had forgiven myself for because of the progress. Then, BAM, I had several bad days and drove my husband to misery.
                When does this feeling go away? I know it's soon for me... only 2 days... but I didn't feel awful at all when I did 2-3 days abs over in mods. Guess it's the permanence that's bothering me. And the thought that I'll probably screw this up too.
                Will the constant nagging voice that keeps saying "I'm an alcoholic, I have lost control, WHY WHY WHY"... does that ever F-ing go away??

I'm very sorry, everyone. rough time.

I really hope everyone is doing well. GREAT JOB to you Andy, stollies, grace, lisa, and everyone with lots of abs days under their belt. I always drew a lot of inspiration from how HAPPY you guys are to have succeeded in long periods of abs.

Thank you for all the PM's. You guys are awesome.

Comment

Tuesday Dec. 5

Howdy

Hi Gang.

I've toured over here for a bit - maybe for a loooooooong bit.

I started abs in February and went about three months. Doc. put me on Wellbutrin and I was doing all the supps and Cd's (sporatically). Was also seeing a councillor, but ended that after the insurance ran out. I felt good - a bit cranky - but good. I was looking forward to moderating and drinking like a "normal" person.

So I tried moderation. Did great until our camping trip in July - nothing like a vacation for an excuse. After that I felt I was maintaining the moderation quite well. Drinking only on weekends and not too much....Let the supps run out and REALLY didn't like the taste and texture of the All One - so I just took the Wellbutrin and vitamin B.

Then I had to quit smoking in September. SMACK - flat on my face. Back to the old drinking patterns. ie. drink until there isn't any left. Drive to different towns for the beer stores (rural area) so I don't become a "regular" at any of them - hah. And on and on and on...

Then last Thursday, I left work at 10 am, stopped at the beer store for a 24, came home and drank. All day. We had a parent/teacher interview scheduled for that night. I went for a walk in the rain to sober up enough to attend. I think I pulled it off. My husband said nothing.

Friday, I called in sick for work with every intention of not drinking and getting some housework, etc. done - I had that greasy stomach and my head was splitting, but I forced myself. I lasted till 4 pm. Then I drank all the rest of the beer left over from Thursday.

Saturday, I bought as many of the supps as I could at our local stores and ordered more kudzo from here. I tried All One in a smoothie and figured it ain't half bad. I did not drink and have not since.

I can't even think about moderating right now. Yes, I'd like to try again, but I DO NOT want to do that again. That slow slide down.... So, I may not moderate. At this point, I just don't want to go back there and if that means not drinking again for a very long time - so be it.

Phew - don't usually go on like that. I guess I needed to get it out.

Helen

PS - Hey Bec - I'm glad I'm not alone - but I'm sorry you're hurting too. We can do this.

Comment

Tuesday Dec. 5

Helen

Knowing how you feel about emoticons, let me just say ...

(stroke) (hold) (hug) (kiss)

(blinking heart thing)

You can do this.

Comment

Working...
                    X