Wednesday, December 6th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wednesday, December 6th

Hi all! I thought I would just start things off today, although I don't have anything particularly profound to say. Nancy has been doing a great job getting things started lately, hasn't she?

I'm very grateful this morning for all the new clients that are coming my way. I feel like God is really watching out for me these days and helping me along on my path.

What is really really nice is that the less worried I am about money, the more it helps me not to drink. When I was really worried about money, the more I had urges to drink to blot out that worry, even though I could ill afford that money. Paradoxical, but true. Now that I can afford it, I don't need it the same way. I'm not saying I don't have cravings, because I do, but they're not driven by the same desperation as they used to be. That is a blessing for me.

I read an article on happiness the other day that was interesting. It was a study on depression, and it said that people who made a mental list at the end of the day of several things that they were grateful for or happy about regarding themselves found benefit that helped with their depression, and that people who continued this after the study found that the benefit continued after the study.

So, even if you're struggling, taking the time to think about what you are feeling grateful for might be a big help. Not a sermon, just a thought......

Hugs to all,

Kathy:l

PS: I guess you can see I'm back on a more even keel after last week!
    AF as of August 5th, 2012

Wednesday, December 6th

Hi Kathy,
    Oh it's wonderful to see you are in such good spirits, and happy.
    I also read that article and started doing the list at night. It's really fun.
    Hugs,
    Mona
    Meow-Meow
    MonaKitty

Comment

Wednesday, December 6th

Good morning Absville,

Thanks for the kind words, Kathy.
      I to think it helps to do a "grateful" list.

I went to the dentist yesterday and then got to see my grandsons. We went to DQ as their house is for sell and was being shown!
      Oh, how I love those boys!
      Their mom and dad divorced in 2000 and they have to go to dad's twice a month and then by noon on Christmas day. He lives in another state and did drugs+++. Yuck!!!

BECCA................trust me..............you do not want to go this route...
      Do everything you can to avoid it... I know it's hard right now and seems unfair, but it is sooooooo worth it.

Hi to Mona and everyone.

My grateful list for today so far:
      My Purpose
      My husband
      My family
      Blueberries
      Belle
      dirty dishes...means we have food to eat!
      freedom to choose
      choice
      you guys
      and on and on!

:h Nancy
      "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Wednesday, December 6th

Nancy, I always have the same thought about dirty dishes and dirty clothes. Wow, and I have a washing machine and dishwaser. Oh how lucky I am to have these things, plus people to care for at home. I am also grateful for all of you here.
        Meow-Meow
        MonaKitty

Comment

Wednesday, December 6th

My Bio

Hey everyone,
          Since I am not too new to the site, but new to absville, I thought I might formally introduce myself.
          I am a 29-year-old male living in the U.S. and don't mind that there are very few men and younger people like me on this board. In fact, I feel good that I am nipping this in the bud early on.

Everyone my age seems to drink to excess on weekends, and weeknights, especially on Thursdays. It seems so accepted, but I know it lead to bad things for me. I have friends that don't want to admit it a problem, but like I said I am glad to be here. Perhaps they will, too, and find themselves here in 10 years.

I can't recommend the Campral, one-on-one therapy, and the supps enough -- they are a true blessing. I also recommend trying not to "overthink" things. I think a lot of us here on this board are guilty of that. We are constantly asking "When will this feeling go away?" "What does this mean?" "What am I doing?" I am trying to stop that and finding that I feel happier everyday. In other words, I've told myself to just "chill."

Anyway, back to work I go...Day 11 AF...almost half way to my initial goal.

Cheers (raises a glass of ice water)

Andy

Comment

Wednesday, December 6th

Hi Andy and :welcome: to Absville!
            I'm happy that you feel welcome to be here and that you are addressing the problem at a young age.
            Eleven days is great! Keep up the good work . It is hard in the world we live in isn't it? We're so used to an "instant" cure for anything we want!
            Keep chugging that water!

Comment

Wednesday, December 6th

Andy, good for you. I wish I had started this mission when I was 29. I am now 55 and it is a struggle.
              Keep up the good work, you will be a shining example for your generation.
              Love and Peace,
              Phil
              Love and Peace,
              Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Wednesday, December 6th

I hope you don't mind me joining in.

My mum has been staying over since sunday. I am worn out, yet she has made me eat and go for walks.

I have a job interview next Tuesday, and am trying to decrease my wine day by day . Perhaps this time next week I will be employed and AF, and then become a proper person here.

I just thought I would check in and I have thanful list :-

I thank the Lord for my Mum
                I thank the Lord for my Dad
                I thank the Lord for my Nanna
                I thank the Lord for my Grandad
                I thank the Lord for my Husband
                I thank the Lord for My Girls
                I thank the Lord for the rain ?
                I thank the Lord for the sunshine
                I thank the Lord for my food and water

I Thank The Lord for My Life.

Amen

Cait
                x

Comment

Wednesday, December 6th

Caitlin!
                  What a wonderful message! And :welcome: to Absville. You ARE a "proper" person and we are grateful to have you here.
                  I'm guessing you're in the UK as your" Mum "is there?

Hope the job search goes well!
                  Keep posting! We love hearing from you.

Comment

Wednesday, December 6th

Hey dudes!
                    Thanks for your words. Not much else to say, back to work I go. Hoping to hit the gym and maybe watch a movie tonight. Good luck and perhaps I'll be around later.
                    Andy

Comment

Wednesday, December 6th

Hay everyone..and welcome Andy!
                      Yes, I'm grateful...and when I forget to be grateful, I get pretty crabby!
                      Kathy, I hear you about the money..i'm so glad that you are getting a new take on it all. This year stresses me financially..granted, I've made 180 degree turn with my money issues, but Xmas brings up new layers every year..so, today I'm grateful for my dear therapist...just don't know what I would have done without him this year and happy that he'll help me keep perspective when I get a little loosey goosey with the issues...

Yesterday I spent the day with my husband at the doctor's office..Mohs surgery for some skin cancers..it was his birthday. I'm grateful for my health..and his..which is generally good. I am having to watch myself though because I did have his prescription for pain medicine filled, even though he said he didn't need it...why? well, you probably know why..it is very attractive right now...I'm 7.5 Abs, but feeling some pain, so I'm tempted to sedate myself...I haven't taken any, but know it's there... it's a slippery slope, isn't it?
                      d

Comment

Wednesday, December 6th

oops...I meant to say that this time of the year (holiday/Xmas..husband and daughter's birthdays...) stresses me out...

Comment

Wednesday, December 6th

Hi Guys & Gals,

I'm 8 days AF first time in I don't know how long. Andy I'm 39 and wish I had addressed issues at your age as I wouldn't be where i am now but hey never too late to start over. Keep up the water and lets keep up encouraging each other as we can all do this as we are all worth it. I am truely thankful for all the fantastic people I have met during my life, for all I am still to meet, for the air i breath and just still to have life itself. i'm going to try really hard not to blow it. Kim
                          Yesterday I dared to struggle. Today I dare to win!!

Comment

Wednesday, December 6th

Hi all,
                            Reading the posts here made me smile...all so positive and its the way Im feeling now too.
                            I just love the grateful list Nancy.
                            (we have Mums here too ....lol)
                            Have a great day all
                            Victoria.

Comment

Working...
                            X