Missing Barb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing Barb

Hey Barbi Doll, what are you doing these days? Thanks for starting this post. I feel so at home here, and have learned so much. Who would have known Mighty Mouse was such an awesome meal maker!
    Meow-Meow
    MonaKitty

Missing Barb

Hi, Monacat, thank you for the wonderful compliment! I have been married to a man from Mississippi for 26 years. When I met him the only thing I knew how to make was Lasagne (because I liked it and my mother didn't like it so never cooked it). My husband's mother was the traditional Southern Belle, a lovely person, and she taught me how to cook everything from scratch -- long distance from Mississippi (We're in Baltimore/Washington, DC area). Then, after my son was born, I started cooking for large groups at his school and family social events. My husband and I are ecclectic in our tastes for food, so I have learned to make a variety of different foods over the years. And our types of foods have also changed with age. When I was young, I came from a family where everything was fried and desserts were rich with sugars and fats. My husband was always health-conscious and as we have gotten older, nuitrition and healthy cooking without sacrificing taste is a big deal to us. And when I was with weight watchers, I used to write articles and even a booklet once for our local chapters on how to take high calorie meals and change them to low points without sacrificing taste -- that was a lot of fun!

So, how about you? What type of cooking do you like to do?

MM
    P.S. I miss Barb too!! I do hope she comes back!!!!
    Saving the day one minute at a time!

Comment

Missing Barb

Missed you guys too. Up to my eyeballs in work this week and have had five minutes to sign on. I didn't even have time to drink (almost). It's the first time since Monday I've been able to sign . I took my test this morning - I have no idea whether I passed - don't care! I am looking forward to going to the gym and reading a "Shape magazine" on the bike.

Thanks for missing me - it really made me feel special to see "missing Barb" on the thread. On my way out to dinner. Back to real life tomorrow.

Love,

Barb

Comment

Missing Barb

Hey Guys-

MM....are you from Mississippi too? Wondered how you met your husband..
        Hi Monacat...how are you doing?? Hey, guess what? I'm celebrating my very first...first night of hanauka with a friend (and her sister, boyfriend and her 6 yr old daughter). I told my friend I was excited about it and she said....you know we just light some candles right?
        I think she was worried I'd be disappointed!!
        Hey Barb---best wishes for a great score on your test...but I know what you mean by just being happy it's over!
        I had a hard week this week. But I started with my new trainer yesterday. I was in a terrible mood when I got there but stuck it out. Then I met with him again this morning at 9am. And now I think I like him. I've decided it doesn't matter if I have 10 trainers...I'm going to have to just keep at it anyway. I think he is pretty good though. We did legs yesterday and today we did arms and shoulders. I think I'll be sore tomorrow.
        My new plan is to work out 5 days and take of Mondays and Thursdays. Seems like a lot but I think I can manage it ok. I can always do less!

Anyway...hope you are having a good weekend.
        Lisa

Comment

Missing Barb

Hi Everybody! Barb, so glad you're back and doing so well!! You are such an inspiration to all of us. I saw the "Shape" magazine at the grocery store. Is it any good? I'm also wishing you well on your test.

Lisa, I'm from Baltimore. I met my husband through a computer carpool service. I was attending Johns Hopkins and he was an Instructor in Orthopaedic Surgery. I put my name in a carpool service. I got seven names, his was the only one with doctor on it, so I called him. The joke was on me though, as he is a PhD. Lot's of brains, not nearly as much money! It was hillarious how we met. I called him up and told him that I got his name from the computer carpool service and wanted to carpool, but I didn't have a car! So, he told me he would pick me up. Here I'm expecting him to roll around in a mercedes or something. He pulls up in a VW bug! It was snowing and he seemed so fussy about the car. So I said, "I'm sorry, I hope I didn't get snow in your car". And he said, "Oh, thats ok, as long as you don't sit on my sandwiich." We chuckled, and then I started looking around, I didn't see any sandwich! Yep, I was sitting on it, and it was flat as a pancake. So, I offered to buy him lunch, and the rest was history.

Lisa, it sounds like you have a great exercise plan set up. Hope it works for you. Barb, I'm envious that you can ride a bike. I never could. I always fall off real bikes, and the stationary ones make my knees hurt. I'm still just doing my walking and dancing with mild weight-lifting twice a week, but it is working well for me.

Hope everybody has a great day!

MM
          Saving the day one minute at a time!

Comment

Working...
          X