Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone take supplements?

i take a few im sure they help
    .and i also took them whilsti was drinking esp b vitimans vit c and magnesuim as alochol totally wipes out these three nutrients more than anything else . also they stopped the shakes etc ...

ive read a lot on omega 3s and the roll they play not just in terms of general health benefits but also in terms of mood and lifting of anxiety a lot of research has been done that essiential fatty acids can improve mood a tablespoon a day is recommomended eg flaxseed oil, also things like barley grass powder mixed into yoghurt or something like that helps to detoxify the system and oxegynate the blood i found it helped afteri gave up smoking ( smoking and drinking went hand in hand really) ..
    also protectvive herbs like milk thistle . i took . it must have helped as when i had a liver functon test everything was ok .
    anyway just thought i d mention a few things

anyone take supplements?

I take Centrun Advanced Formula
    Life Without Drinking Is Life Worth Living.

Comment

anyone take supplements?

I take Solgar multivits which are supposed (according to WHICH mag) to be the best absorbed vits...I started these even while still drinking after I read that the booze knocks out your B vits and that's what can leave you with a legacy of brain damage, and after the first week I did feel like I had more energy. Still take them now to really keep my levels up. Also take milk thistle and grape seed extract (excellent antioxidant).

Comment

anyone take supplements?

Weemelon,
        I like Solgar vitamins too. I did not know that WHICH magazine could be gotten in Auckland. Isn't that a UK mag? I know I bought in when I visited UK - it is really good. Must be expensive in Kiwi agogo!
        Pansy

Comment

anyone take supplements?

Pansy...read that particular episode whilst still in the land of the Pom de terre. I've only lived in the land of the long white cloud for 3 years..and you're right...everything pommish that we can't get here is about 4 squillion dollars more. (rough estimate)

Oh, by the way, also have geranium oil burning 24/7 as it's s'posed to be a good atmoshere cleanser and de-stresser....sort of allowing you to start again either in a new space or inside the space of your own dear head...does that count as a supplement?

Comment

anyone take supplements?

Wow Melon,
            Geranium oil, I've never heard of that one! Changing countries and starting over again, both in geographical space AND in your own head. Maybe I need to get myself some of that stuff - except my atmosphere is pretty clear and lovely next to the water and I don't want any new space inside my head - something I need might leak out LOL Yes, I would guess 4 squillion dollars is about right for WHICH - but if reminds you of home - I imagine worth it.
            Pansy

Comment

anyone take supplements?

B Vitamins

I take a Low-dose aspirin and a folic acid (4mg) tablet every morning now. I then take a Super Multi-B complex vitamin before going to bed. The Folic Acid I was taking while pregnant, but I still take them as they are a water soluable B-9 vitamin that is good for many things in your body! It is also great for your metabolism I hear.

I have also been focusing on my diet and exercise regime over the last couple of weeks. Making sure I eat a very balanced diet of fresh foods, lots of water and lots of fish, along with taking my daughter out for daily walks when we can - if it is raining, I just plunk on her stroller rain cover and we go anyway. I don't do the gym anymore, but the benefits of walking has really reaped in rewards mentally and physically for me. Good for daughter too having her daily dose of fresh air. It certainly beats her having to watch me drink all day long!

I have been AF now for 10 days, and incorporating the above, I feel awesome! Sleeping better too, I might add. I had to take a couple of gravols the first few nights to kick the insomnia and naseau in the arse.

I just quit smoking too, along with my drinking. I figured, I will kill both demons at the same time. Hence why I take a highly dose Vitamin B to help with the aggitation and stress.

Comment

anyone take supplements?

Wow!

Hi Accountable, quitting smoking and drinking at the same time, that is truly awesome. And the walking, I try to get out and walk, hearing that you get great benefits from it will inspire me tomorrow.

I drink the all-one powder because it seems to have everything in it, and my skin looks better and I feel good energy, plus the amino's help me with cravings. I'm not AF but I have cut way down. Suz
                The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

anyone take supplements?

Care to share info on that shake?

Hi Suzanna,

Unfortuantely I am one of those types where it is has to be "all or nothing". When I was drinking, I was DRINKING - could put any sailor to shame! When I smoked, I was SMOKING - one may even call me a chimney!

I figured if I needed to quit drinking, I would have to have none at all. I am definitely not a moderator. I wish so badly, but I simply am not. Same with the smoking - I loved to chain smoke while drinking. I could leave it if I wasn't - weird eh?

My daughter is 19 months, I am in my 30's. I really want to be around to see her grow up. It was high time I stopped wallowing in the pain of my depression and slurping back the booze to numb it. I also figured, I haven't turned into a prune yet and I still have all of my teeth LOL, but if I kept going the way I was going - I would need an overhaul not only on the inside but the outside.

So as I am in the process of overhauling my inside, I truly find the walks with my child are one of the most precious parts of my day. She loves it so much and I get a thrill to see her smile and discover new things. She is my motivator to get well! Everytime I want to have a drink or a smoke - I just look at her. And now that I am not parked on the couch drunk, I am finding the energy to enjoy life and especially her. I have to admit that walking for me helps so much with the anxiety and depression. Not to mention just feeling better inside and out.

The all in one shake sounds good too! I would like to know where you get that or how you make that? I too have noticed a difference in my skin as well! I am so thankful that the body is resilient once we stop abusing it.

Congrats on your cutting down. Even then, it makes a huge difference! Keep up the good work!

Comment

anyone take supplements?

YAY accountable!!!

Hi Accountable,

It really sounds like you have made an excellent start (well MORE than a start) on your renewal process. Ten days is so wonderful ... I am trying to remember what that felt like (the first time:H ). Glad you are feeling good in the new steps you are taking. I did not walk once so far this week ... I will think of you tomorrow!

Hugs,
                    Pansy

Comment

anyone take supplements?

Hey Accountable (and Pansey, and others)

Wow!! Congratulations. You are doing so great!! Reach way up high and over and give yourself a big pat on the back. Super!!

I too am a "smoke when I drink" gal. If not drinking, I can easily go without smoking. Weird, yes... but thank goodness, it's a weirdness I'm happy to have. I too am going AF. Day 15 for me.

And, besides reclaiming your health, you are also claiming such a wonderful mental and emotinal clarity... I love the fact that you are appreciating those daily walks with your daughter in the stroller. My daughter is now nine (only child) and I probably don't need to remind you that these early years will simply fly by!! So, it's great that you are deliberate in enjoying them and really imprinting the simple pleasure of enjoying the daily "stroll" together.

Thanks for reminding me of what's really important...

take care, Olly

Comment

anyone take supplements?

Hey Accountable...fantastic!!!!!!! You really seem to have set out on this with SUCH a positive and well prepared state of mind...Giving up smoking and drinking is something i just could not even hope to consider (now I am AF, I smoke the equivalent of a 5 hectare tobacco plantation before breakfast) so I am TRULY in awe of anyone that can biff the pair of them on the head.
                        Enjoy your days with your girlie...it's great that while stopping the drinking, you have had the strength to push yourself that extra step so soon to starting off and start to create another really lovely bonding situation with your daughter, going AF can be such a tiring journey sometimes.....i wish you an easy ride with this so you can continue spending your days in such an uplifting way...Much love The melon

Comment

anyone take supplements?

I am taking L-Glutamine, B complex, a mens daily, Tripophane and milk thistle for the liver. Thats as medicated as I choose to get. Plus they are more readily available and lots more affordable. I want to save money by not drinking and dont want to spend money to stop. If that makes any sense!!!

Comment

anyone take supplements?

Thanks!

Suzanna, Olly, Pansy, Weemelonhead and all of you others thank you for your kind words and enthusiasm. You all too are doing a fabulous, fabulous job! Keep up the good work!:l

Comment

anyone take supplements?

WOW, good for you, you are my inspiration I too want to cut back and stop smoking, they do go hand in hand, I keep telling myself after the Holidays, but I'm not so sure if that is a good idea, because I'm smoking and drinking like I'm going to quit....anyway enough about me. I am really proud of you and want to be proud of myself for doing the same thing. Once again thanks for the inspiration:h :thanks:

Comment

Working...
                              X