Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminder... Remember...

Mornin' Absville,

On a rather sad note, someone very special to me died suddenly in her sleep last night. I didn't know her well, but she was the only person in this little euro village I live in that has always gone out of her way to be friendly, to go by first-name (a biggie here..) and to talk with me although I don't speak the language. I would see her almost daily at the local market. She was only 54. I will miss her terribly.

But, beyond my immediate heartbreak, I can't help thinking that this should remind me of how short life can be and how expected the end may come. Now is the time to take the best care of ourselves that we can.

olly

Reminder... Remember...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Olly. That is quite a shock.
    It is a good reminder to take care of ourselves, stop wallowing, and enjoy each day.
    You take care.

Comment

Reminder... Remember...

I'm sorry for your loss Olly. It is a reminder isn't it-- to not take this day for granted, to take the time each day to genuinely greet and acknowledge others in our presence. Thank you for sharing.
      Capto

Comment

Reminder... Remember...

Good Morning everyone...
        Becca, I don't think I've told you that I'm glad you are here on the Abs board!
        Olly, so sorry for your loss. Hello Capto and all to come...
        I'm just flying by to say hi..will check in later.
        Have a great day everbody!
        d

Comment

Reminder... Remember...

Wow. Ollly I am also very sorry for your loss.

That is a sobering reminder for all of us of how precious life is.

In the past when I thought of how short life can be, or of phrases like carpe diem or live life to the fullest, I just felt justified in drinking that much more. I thought, "What the hell -- I might as well have fun while I'm here."

Now I guess I still think the same thing about having fun while I'm here -- except that it involves staying sober instead of drinking. Carpe diem
          no longer means party my a$$ off; it means seize this day to finally beat this alcohol racket. Having fun no longer involves blackouts and hangovers, and giving in to cravings. I want to live a life that is more meaningful than putting a liquid down my throat that only makes me think I'm having fun for a few hours. I want to form meaningful relationships, have positive experiences, and when it's all said and done, be able to look back on it and be [mostly] proud of the decisions I made. I know that I'll be proud of the decision to quit drinking. Carpe diem.
          Today is the day to be sober. I put that off for long enough. And, God willing, I'll have lots of todays to enjoy living sober.

Thank you so much, Olly, for sharing this with us.

Mike
          "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Working...
          X