Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thursday, December 7th

Howdy 'yall:

Seems a bit slow around here, but I wanted to weigh in and post some postive.

Irishlady, Mike, Kate, spacie, Olly, and any one who happens to drop by, please have a most excellent day of sobriety. You guys are the strength and backbone of this forum. Always good to read your thoughts and musings.

Today, I felt pretty good. Been changing my cardio workout. The last couple of times on the exercycle, I have been cutting back on the resistance, and going faster. I was going only 17 or 18 miles an hour at setting number 4 or 5, but it seemed to be loading my leg muscles on slow. So I've been cutting the resistance to setting 2 and 3, and going 25 to 26 miles an hour.

I blipped up to over 30 miles an hour, and pushed the heart rate to 151 for a while (overspeed for a geezer like me!), and dropped back to optimum rate of 134. Average over 20 minutes was 135, with 2 minute warm up and cool down. If you do cardio, get a pulse meter!!

Just gobbled up two cups of non-fat black cherry yogurt for dinner, and going to start on some spinach heavy salad here in a bit. I do have a big honkin' sirloin steak in the fridge, but saving it for Saturday evening. I gots to have that big honkin' steak every so often to keep the beast alive you know. :H

I need to do some more stretches before going to hit the hay. The work continues, and I like it!!

One more week till "sobrietus anno" (mock Latin)!! Does anyone know the Latin word for sobriety?

Be well.

Neil

Thursday, December 7th

Hi friends,

Well my cardio is not going that well, I have a hard time pushing myself, still! I am up to 30-35 minutes on the treadmill - walking. I can't run anymore not that I ever could. My knees just can't take it, I blew my ACL on my right leg skiing 8 years ago and that legs okay it's the other one that worries me now. I'm doing callanetics to tone up my stomach that works quickly. The past week started doing a few minutes every other day on the Total Gym. My diet hmm not as good as it should be, I've been loading up on the sweets more than ever but figure after the holidays I'll snap out of it.

Neil, question on the (lets see if I can spell it) Phenibutyl when you take this supplement does it have any type of effect that makes you want to take more? I goof around with taking Gaba and Sam-e when I'm having a rough moment and that works, but I'd like to also try the Pheni...just want to make sure it's not something I'll abuse.

Comment

Thursday, December 7th

spacie:

Just a quick note here, and I'm off to night-night.

I found that the phenibut had some extremely powerful effects when I first took it. LIke a big relieving dose of valium or something. However, the effect lessened after repeated doses on subsequent days. I found that skipping days worked well for me, and I get good benefits.

I did think I would develop a craving for it, but did not. It seems to reach a saturation point fairly quickly, and then you know you don't want or need anymore. It seems to have "fed" something in my poor boozed out brain, and "repaired" some things in my noodle. That's not very scientific, but it's the best way I can put it. Some say to do it everyday for two weeks, then cycle off for two weeks. That may work better.

At any rate, it is a wonder supplement in my book, and I wonder what happened to CV1? She is the one that first told me about it, and it has been a great help in the overall scheme of things.

Sorry about that knee. I injured mine pretty bad back 25 years ago, and it took a very long time to heal up. I was running hard for many miles back then, and one night it sort of "blew" out. Hurt like hell for a long time. Best to slowly work through those things, and only stress it enough to stimulate healing. Fine line between stimulating and reinjuring, and then it's worse than ever. I'm still trying to work through an injury to my right elbow tendon done in the summer of 2005. I have to use a very light dumbell for triceps extensions, and it hurts to work it. Like there is sandpaper there, but it's slowly getting better. Slow and easy does it for me.

Neil

Comment

Thursday, December 7th

Hey Neil, Spacie, Mike, and everyone,

"Carpe Sobrietus"

I've been trying to coax Mike over to the Fitness Forum, but looks like this is quite the fit focused group of it's own. Great. I just started my membership at the gym this week and have been every day. I'm doing a pretty light circuit for all the major muscle groups, knowing these are early days and I want to build this up (like my sobriety) with secure, safe babysteps. My past sign-ups at the gym have all lasted about as long as my AF time... a few weeks. I went barginging in , throwing "too much" weight(s) around and as soon as as I was able to walk with grimacing again, usually lost my resolve. This time I'm hoping that I've coupled the workout routine with my Abs commitment and together they're the one package of "take care of myself".

Whereas the effort to not drink can sometimes be very time consuming (yet ALWAYS brings positive results!) the effort to exercise takes only an hour and can still also bring day long positive results. So, when I'm really being a stubbon OX about wanting to go to the gym, I just keep reminding myself that "one hour and I'll feel good all day" (not necessarily physically but my pride is burning red hot!)

I also discovered yesterday that it's the same demon voice that trys to sabotage my workout routine AND tempt me to have a drink. Such a pain. It's hard to do those weight machines while swinging my mental sledge hammer at the same time.

I'll be in the US next summer and plan to stock up on supplements. In the meantime, what are your thoughts on the All One? I take a basic range of vits and supps... but I'm thinking of having a friend send me a container of All One. Is it worth it?

Spacie... it's great having you here too! Mike and Niel already know I worship them...

later, Olly

Comment

Thursday, December 7th

LOL I love all the Latin around here!

Getting myself up and moving has been a real challenge. One would think it would be easy. All I have to do is get up and do it. And all I'm asking of myself right now is to go for a walk every day. [My cholesterol is borderline high too -- so my doctor STRONGLY suggested it.] I have been walking a couple of times a week, 30 to 45 minutes around the outdoor track here at my apartment complex. Once I'm out and doing it, I enjoy it after the first lap. I guess the endorphins kick in and it gives me a boost and by the time I'm done I feel really good. It's working it into my routine that I'm having some difficulty with.

I guess it's like anything else, though: you have to just make a decision and DO IT. I mean, it's not going to magically happen on its own....

And my body will really appreciate the effort. After 38 years of complete inactivity. Unless you count the exercise I got from lifting a glass from the table to my mouth. I was able to do that one quite well.

Mike
          "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Thursday, December 7th

Gluteus Maximus that's all I got...

Thanks for the feedback Neil I'm going to order some Phen...can't have too many weapons in my aresenal. I have wondered where CV1 wandered off to and hope all is going well - she gave so much to these boards. I had surgery on my ACL, it was bad, if stood the wrong way it just gave out and I'd fall, and that was rather embarassing because I was always tweaked and I looked like a fall down drunk.

Olly, I used the All in One at the beginning wasn't aware of what it was doing for me. Others my have some thoughts on that supplement. I take these supplements and I NEVER MISS taking them ever... Kudzo, L-Glutamine, Amino Acid, Evening Primrose, calcium, every other day I take B-50, magnesium and take Gaba and SAMe when I need extra help to ease the voice in my mind probably every other week or so. I should look at what others are using too and see if I should experiment.

I know you all know this but we waste more time thinking about doing the exercises than what the exercise takes in time. These days I can really feel the difference if I miss a day of exercise it does wonders. I want to be like Neil and really get into exercise.

spacie

Comment

Working...
            X