Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday, 9 December 2006

G'day Abbers,

After a leave of absence Paddy's back. Motivated to start AF yet again, after a number of glitsches. It's all a long and winding road, as Sir Paul would say.

Christmas, the dreaded season for us highly spirited folks, is drawing near. Any input on what your prep work is in order to stay AF?

Anyway, just a quick hello to all of you and hope to catch you sometime.

Again, this is my first AF day - (sorry I'm rambling, but I guess the fact that I'm publishing it makes me feel more responsible, grin ..)

Paddy
    Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Morning Absville

Morning Paddy & Fellow Abbers
    Haven't posted much, but am now up to day 27AF! Nothing short of a miracle, particularly my complete lack of cravings, just a couple of days being completely bored recently!
    Hoping to get to day 40 which is when my partner comes home then it's birthdays, festive season, etc. But that's in the future, so of no concern whatsoever to me TODAY!!
    Thanks for all your wise and encouraging words...:thanks:
    (cue music...) What a wonderful world...
    Love
    Blondie

Comment

I woke up completely depressed....

Mornin' Paddy, Blondie and all Abber Neighbors!!

Welcome back Paddy!! I think I joined up in your absence, but I lurked al long time and have enjoyed your posts for awhile. It's nice to have you back in town!

Blondie... way to go!!! woo-hoo. I like the way you choose not to stress today over what will come. Good thinking.

Capto.. congrats on joining the gym! How's it going? Have you thought of joining in on Fitness Forum thread? I just finished one week and I'm still feeling completely out of place there. But, I'm trying.

Welcome Weemelonhead:welcome: Your posts make me smile.

Whew... I'm feeling better. I woke up completely depressed this morning. I dreamt that I was at my brothers' on vacation (where wine and cigs are constant... a reason in the past why I lOVED to go visit!!) and starting my second day of vacation. When two people walked into his apt carrying a case of beer. I introduced my self "hello... I'm his sister" and they looked at me and said "We know, we met you last night". Then another woman came in and put her arm around me as if we were the best of friends and picked up a conversation that we had obvioulsy stopped the night before... which I had no recollection of. I was a having a very public blackout!! I even tried to "fake it" with the first couple... "Oh yeah... that's right..." But, they weren't fooled. It was AWFUL!! I woke up wanting to cry. But, instead, a made a cup of coffee, shuffled over here to the computer, and feel so much better already. And, I know that with time I'll be able to feel really good about that dream because I know it was my "higher power" (my choice of words) that was reminding me of just awful I would feel if I ever tried to go "back" to those early days of fun with alcohol. In this case, there's no going back.

And, GraceBc, Andy1111, Pansy, Lisa3102 and Youngatheart,Tawny and anyone I might have accidently forgotten (I realize that's the problem with saying hello individually... I'd hate to have to someone forgotten on the list feel left out.) GOOD MORNING!

Olly

Comment

Evening Absville...(when I first lurked around the edges before daring to ramble on myself...I thought that absville was someones moniker and remember trying to flick through to find any of their threads as they obviously had some wise words...everyone seemed to want to dedicate their thoughts to them!!!)

I get the distinct impression from looking at the mail times recorded that I am way out of sync with the rest of you guys!!! Is there anybody else who lives in the Kiwi a gogo time zone??? I am destined to always be half a day behind on the noooos...feel a bit like the last to be picked for softball (which incidentally I always am...I have a habit of throwing balls backward over my head when aiming for a base 2 metres in front of me!).

I agree Blondie...i must crank the old brain cell up and get it used to focusing on the moment instead of worrying what my return party to Blighty (for example) in 2008 will be like without the 'uplifting' ???? effects of the D. drink. This is something I realise I do a lot. Wot will so and so be like without wine/how can I cope with work xmas do without a glug/birthdays/Chrimbo/..........but then I realise that everyday is a 'celebration' or 'comiseration' for me as a 'reason' to drink...got to alter the mindset. This site is just Jon Bon Jovis twinset and pearls for great ideas and strategies to make the the AF's that bit more approachable and less devastating, so thank you to everyone ....Also, can I just say how amazing you all are....I panic if I have to go a Saturday night remembering everything that happened, and when I read through the pages I find people who have 8 day week jobs, trot off to the gym every 14 mins, make gorgeous looking candles and emollients, support kids and family at sports etc AND are booze free zones...I hereby send you all a collective clap on the back and a shoulder massage....you are the tops...It really is helping me no end.

And paddy....I hope I make you feel less conscious of your 'rambling'...I make waffle a full time job...nice to meet you

Thoughts x

Comment

Wow you get up early

Morning all,

Still have not slept. Hmmm. Slept Thursday from about 3 or 4am till 6am. Since then wide awake. Knew would be tired today (Friday-Saturday) - promised no hard core sleep meds. Drank ... left chat ... took weak non-addictive sleep meds - moose dose - no deal. Drank more - hard core sleep meds. No deal. More hard core sleepy time pills -no deal. Did X-Mas shopping. Tried to buy a duck, I think. I am still here and AWAKE!!!! It is 3:15 OMG!!

Now that I have REAL insurance, I am going to have a bona fide sleep study done. This is too crazy. I am supposed to be up in like 3 hours? I think I have to to go to MALL .... :egad: So, 3-4 hours of sleep in 48 hours? Yah ... my behavior has been a tad erratic, I guess:H Sorry so bad on abs, guys. Sorry can't remember names. I will get it together, I have done abs before (60 days). Really, I have slept before too. Just need someone to shoot me in butt with dart gun and get self restarted.

Went to visit person on another site and ran into little lizzie mouse. She approached me by clicking me into a side chat and introducing herself using the name of a person on this board. After some queries, she left quickly, when it became clear that she did not have the expert knowledge regarding the drug zoloft, which she said she had just been prescribed. Just a warning - be wary ... this mouse is not going to go away easily and is now stealing identities!! Apparently she had been using this person's identity as therapist for weeks!

Peace - have good Saturday,

Pansy (Melon - I am going to find you that avatar!!!)

AHHH - I have slept. Also, if I did not PM and you are a therapist - don't worry was not you! Just maintaining privacy! Thanks. I am smelling a mouse?? sniff sniff??

Comment

Hi Pans...it's a real shame I could not send my year 10 maths teacher Mr gamble over to your house...hearing him warble on about Pythagoras therum, topology and the myriad other math subjects that used to lull me into the land of nod on a regular basis would sort your insomnia out quick sharp and no mistake......

Seriously though, did you get the note about upping the kudzu? Can't remember the name (crikes and lummox I'm away with the fairies) but someone recommended that as a sleep help...I also biffed in a ramble about a supplement called 5 htp.........hope you get this sorted Mrs...it's so terribly frustrating isn't it?...

By the way...wot is an avatar (sounds like a new worm treatment for dogs!! new AVATAR, tackles thread worms, tapeworms, glow worms, earthworms...........)

PS Olly....have also done the dream thing....even after only 2 days. Am already dreaming that I am drinking and not on my own but with a fictional character from MWO of all things!!!!!!!!!!!?????? Be happy about this though, because it's a dream...wot a relief in the morning

Comment

Good Morning All,

Capto checking in. I can relate to some of the insomniacs here. I thought I would be sleeping better with abstinence (Day 8), but maybe I?m being a little impatient. Seems like I wake every two or three hours, but I do feel the sleep has been deeper. Do they call that ?Rem?? Also, while on the Topa, I can hardly stay up past 8:00pm, so that has disturbed my sleep patterns as well. Oh well, better than vino sedation and rapid beating heart. And, have I mentioned the beauty of a clearer mind, despite the Dopa effect of Topamax? I know this sounds like a contradiction, but there is a difference.

Olly, I have considered joining the Fitness Forum. I?ve visited there a bit, but I?m still trying to figure out all the buttons and positions at my real gym. Maybe I will when I get the hang of it. I?m going over (real gym) again this morning to see if I can beat the crowd. It?s large and popular.

Here?s to us. I am in awe of all you in the double digits.

Best,

Capto

Comment

Hey Capto,
                I understand about wanting to take is slowly.... especially after this past week of full-on enthusiasm and starting both the gym and MWO at the same time. You're smart to take it one step at a time. I hope to see you over in the Forum thread sometime in the near future... it'll mean we are both still committed to getting fit and feeling stronger. (For now, I just want to bend down without wincing... agh, what have I done?:H)
                later, Olly

Comment

Good Morning All!

Paddy, it's good to see you back! I'm glad you're jumping back on the abs wagon again. It's good to see you, too, Blondie. I recall reading a post or two of yours, I think. I hope you will post more! Great job on 27 days!

I like your "dream interpretation", Olly. Those dreams can be so frightening. I'm happy that I haven't had any, but boy did I have them when I stopped smoking! They were so scary and so real. I'm happy that you are turning your dream into a positive thing. And I'm glad that you are becoming such an active member of Absville.

Weemelonhead, don't worry about rambling on--I like reading your posts. I've been known to ramble myself. Also, there is quite a difference in time zones around here, with some of us in the US, some in Austrailia or New Zealand, and some in England. Just chime in when it is right for you.

Pansy, I will be very happy to see you have a sleep study done. I worry about your insomnia. I so wish there was something I could do for you! Also, Pansy, I know that your goal is Abs, and that is what is important right now, in my opinion. I am happy that you are here in Absville, and I want you to be here as you sort out this stuff with sleeping. I think the problem goes deeper than merely the withdrawal from alcohol, otherwise the heavy duty sleep meds would have put you out.

I'm curious and concerned about your encountering Lizzie on another board, particularly posing as a therapist. Any therapist I might know, perhaps? Hmmmm....I must say, I got a bit of a jolt from your post.

Morning, Capto! Keep up the good work at the gym! I think you're doing great!

I'm envious of all of the buff folks around here! It seems the only exercise I'm getting these days is shuffling papers from one place to the other as I continue to try to get my home office in order. Next, it's the garage as I try to get a home gym together. Progress is dauntingly slow, however. Ugh! Wish me luck!!

Anyway, that's all for now everyone.

Hugs to all!

Kathy:l
                  AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Good Morning!!
                    And I thought I was up early today!. Lots going on here. First and foremost I have to ask..Pansy...Did you buy a Duck??? Were you bidding on ebay??
                    Sorry about your sleep issues. I have had some problems sleeping but not even close to what you are dealing with now. I think it is great to go get some expert help with that.

I laughed at several things reading here this morning...funny group of abbers we got here!
                    Paddy - day 1 is a glorious day - Glad you are here and enjoy your day! Maybe a nice walk?
                    Blondie - Great job27 days is awesome! Hope you are proud of yourself- you deserve it.
                    Olly- just reading your dream made me cringe. arrrghhh! that part about - 'I met you last night" gave me chills. I'll think about that when I'm offered a drink at a Christmas party.
                    You are doing great too...haven't talked with you much but read all your posts and think you are doing a great job!
                    Weemelon---welcome again..also haven't talked to you but your posts make me laugh - I too was chosen last for softball. I like to close my eyes when someone throws me the ball...

Capto--Great Day 8!! And please come over to the fitness fourm...I'm starting out going to the gym now and got a trainer and all but when they did the body fat % I was listed as ...."Needs Work" which came after "Poor". So, I am certainly no expert! But it is inspiring to hear what others are doing and you can get some good info too.
                    And Kathy :l :l thanks for being your Jaunty Self today as always. I hate paperwork....especially the stuff that is old...what do you do with it?? I'm thinking fireplace..
                    Have a great day.... where is Nancy? Are you working on the pear tree today?

Love-
                    Lisa

Comment

Good morning Absville!

Just popping in this Saturday morning to say hi. It's great to see so many people already up and about, especially on a weekend.

Pansy, my sleep patterns have been way off kilter since I stopped drinking. I haven't had insomnia per se, but I wake up EARLY and can't seem to go back to sleep even if it's a day off. (I have no trouble taking a nap later in the day, though.) I'm on topa, so I think that's the main reason for my sleep disturbances... I fall asleep very early, and then wake up early. So I'm still getting a normal amount of sleep, it's just off schedule and I can't seem to get it back to the schedule I want. I can understand wanting the dart gun and restart. Kind of like a reboot button on the computer!

Drinking dreams can be very disturbing too, Olly. I posted about some I had recently (I think I posted in the Long Term Abs forum) and wasn't quite sure what to make of them. A couple of thoughts: 1. my unconscious is still working out my relationship with alcohol; letting go of it. 2. TREAD LIGHTLY, as these dreams were coming to me at a time of stress. 3. It's a reminder that we're never really cured and always need to keep our program a top prirority. I've talked to people who've been sober for years and they still occasionally have drinking dreams... that doesn't mean they are going to drink, but I think it's good to pause and take stock of what's going on and adjust your program if necessary. Maybe go easy on yourself for a while. Maybe go back to basics. Anyway, the dreams are important, and they can be scary, but they are not something to worry about. I also know the sense of relief when you wake up and realize it was only a dream!!

Paddy: it's not how many times you fall that matters. It's how many times you keep getting up. (But falling and getting up isn't much fun. Once you're on your feet, staying on them is much more comfortable and causes fewer bruises! Hang in there, you can do this. Don't doubt yourself.)

Blondie, congratulations on your 27 days. You're coming up on the big 3-0 which always seems like an important milestone.

Weemelonhead, the avatars are the icons we choose to represent us: the pictures that go with our names. You can set one if you want under the User Control Panel. Glad we have another kiwi among us!

And Capto you're ahead of me in the world of fitness if you're even AT the gym trying to figure out the buttons. So far I am sticking with walking. My motto is Keep it Simple.

Hello Lady Katherine. Good to see you again. Thanks for all the support you provide to me and others here on the board. You do such a good job giving us all encouragement. I hope you're not too bogged down there with your papers to shuffle and clients to shrink and all that. Take good care of Number One!!! (You know who you are.)

And Lisa it's great to see you too. I'm glad to see you here and also over at the Long Term Abs forum. You and your kitty rolling on the couch! He (or she?) looks very, very comfy and spoiled.

Ok well I'm off to do a bunch of Saturday Stuff. Oh! I close on my condo next Thursday so next weekend I'll be a homeowner, and painting the new place.

~ Mike
                      "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Here mousey mousey ..... Felix likes to eat mousies .....

Comment

LOL!

Comment

Pansy...this lack of sleep is more detrimental than I first thought!!! LOL

Hows it going? I'm never quite sure when I join in wether anyones had another day or not...I thought about you as I was walking my dog today and wondered if it was another frustrating pm for you...I am willing all my most boring stories of 'when I was young' to you....hope that you get some respite soon Pans thoughts .... the melon

Comment

MikeupNorth

Hey Mike,

Congratulations on the the new condo!! How exciting, how great. We're in the works to buy a house too. It'll be the first time ever that I"m a "home owner" and I am already imaging the new place as my sort of shrine that I protect from any secret drunken, ugly energy.

Any news on the job you are hoping to transfer over to? Wow, lots of big changes. Funny how much goodness the universe brings to us when we simply do the right thing and try to be our best, eh?

Comment

Working...
                              X