Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do I only drink when I'm feeling GREAT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to you, Green and Hippy C. I will take your advice. I am doing some AF days with Sunshine in another forum. (I'm just learning my way around.)

What do you think of the fact that I never desire alcohol when I'm down. I don't seem to use it to address stress or problems. I didn't drink at all when my husband was going through stage 4 cancer treatments. That was a long haul, and he had it twice. (He's well now thank heavens!)

I desire alcohol when I'm feeling on top of the world! What do you think? My husband says I'm not human. He says that's why I also have no trouble leaving a single fork full of chocolate cake on the plate because I'm just not hungry anymore. It drives him nuts.

Anyway, thanks. I'm going to the gymn now to listen to Eic Clapton and "dance" on the eliptical machine. No al today. Today will be easy only because today I don't desire it today, and I already decided that.

Hi Crocus,

Not sure why? but our culture really feeds into this. " Its the only way to celebrate", it surely isn't though.

I too can leave that last bite of cake if I'm full, that isn't my problem, never had a problem leaving food on the plate. Now leaving wine in a glass...different story.
    May our choices today not result in regret, but rather be wise

Comment

Hi Crocus,
      I use to drink whatever mood I was in..any excuse really. Think we all have different triggers and are in different stages in our drinking "careers". A friend of mine never drinks during the week ( no matter what) but gets absolutely plastered on the weekends. She thinks she is fine but I think she had a serious drinking problem.
      But yes it's odd that you only drink when you are happy.
      Be strong-
      We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
      Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

Cherbear,
        I had that exact experience walking out of a restaurant one day with an overweight friend. An empty table had a half eaten piece of chocolate cake and a half empty glass of wine. At the same time we both said, how could they leave that... and ofcourse you know she said 1/2 piece of cake and I said 1/2 glass of wine! Addictions are baffling!

Crocus
        Took care of a patient the other day who had lost a lot of weight and said it was the "divorce" diet. I said, "I am the same way too." When I'm sad, I absolutely lose my appetite and cannot eat, unlike others who gorge themselves with comfort food. But when I'm happy, careful, because that's where the weight can come on. So, Crocus, you're the same but the addiction replacement is AL. You feel great, so it's almost a "Let's have a drink to celebrate!" thinking. Problem can be, how much are you then drinking, what happens when you drink, etc. And rebirth, I can so relate to your binge drinking friend. In some ways, I had that pattern but not to her degree. No problem at all not drinking during the week. No looking forward to a magic happy or cocktail hour. But in my mind, I would always be thinking about Friday when I can drink. Saturday, when I can drink. This new diet (no AL) allowed will be interesting because for the first time in many, many years, I will not be looking forward to the week-end to have a drink as it is not allowed. Will post how it goes.
        Have a great day all!
        :l
        Eve11
        "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Week one update for cake on the plate

Hi Guys,

Had a great week without drinkin or even having cravings until I went to a wedding Sunday night. I was feeling happy and peppy. The music played, the wine flowed, and I danced and drank until 3:00 a.m. My husband doesn't dance or enjoy music much, so I felt like I had a five hour ticket to the fun house.

Was tired the next day at work, of course. But I feel hopeless. I did it again. I binged. Rats. Does Baclofen help with any of this?

Comment

crocus,
            there is a meds section with a lot of information posted. There is info. on baclofen, topo, and supplements available.
            Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Crocus,
              Sorry, that is always disappointing when things like that happen. Just remember that our mistakes hold valuable learning lessons. I started to give myself 2 tickets when I went out, just like when you go somewhere and you only get 2 free drink tickets. I would have a drink and rip one up, and know I only had 1 left. So, I would drink more slowly and wait in between. It helped.

:l
              Eve11
              "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Thanks, Eve11. I'll try anything.

Comment

Working...
                X