Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any info/experiences on Antabuse

G'day fellow fighters,

I'm reviewing my AF progress, and noticed that I haven't made any. Though I have been reluctant (and frankly scared to take Antabuse), I am considering the options now. Has anyone of you got any experience taking this medication? Any tips you would like to share?

Thanks so much,
    Paddy
    Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Antabuse

Hi Paddy,

Something I have found for you.

A neighbour of mine was on it and any type of exposure to alcohol will make you very ill. Even breathing in fumes from any product containing alcohol can make you very ill. Some good reading on the drug at the website I pasted for you below.

Antabuse Drug Information

Comment

Thanks so much for the info. I guess, Antabuse is not for me, then. While alcohol intake per se can be regulated, it is much more difficult to control stuff they put in your food. Leave alone colleagues at work using alcohol-based perfumes, etc.

Also, thanks for the internet link. It was really helpful,

Rgds
      Paddy
      Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Paddy,
        I took antabuse earlier this year. I requested a prescription from my doctor in all earnestness (I thought) to get sober. I took it, as prescribed, for about 2 weeks. Then the sneaky Gina came back in my mind and wanted to test it. What would REALLY happen. After about 2 swigs of wine it made me all red and glassy-eyed. Perfume was never a problem for me. Nor was vinegar, fumes, etc. Cough medicine was a problem once, but I knew better...it has alcohol in it!! I wasn't a success on it because I was determined to beat it by testing it over and over. Then, I resented it because I couldn't drink on it. It doesn't solve the problem for willful people like me. I was fortunate I never got sick, in the physical sense. I have occasionally popped one since that time when I have felt unsure of myself with an upcoming event. The problem for me was that I found a substitution for alcohol that I had abused once before in my past...Xanax...alcohol in solid form. So, obviously, I wasn't ready to get sober. It can work if you are ready. Otherwise, it is a waste of time.

Comment

I would have to say that Gina is exactly right here. I did 38 days straight with Antabuse earlier this year, but once I figured out how soon I could drink after taking it, well you know. Problem was I got really red blotches everywhere and got drunk really fast. My husband was freaked out(he doesn't know I take it).

I didn't have a sensitivity to anything like perfume or mouthwash. It was the best 38 days of my life. I am starting it back today take two per day for the next 10 and will start my campral in five days. I have got to win this fight.

-Nina

Comment

My fiance just started taking 125 mg of Antabuse prescirbed to him. It's been 4 days and just last night he found alcohol that he had hidden in the house and decided to drink it rather than dump it out (of course!) Anyways, there was no of effect to this. Nothing happened. He's also a painter and he has been working with stains and lacquers this week and said he felt a little queezy for just a little bit. He also kept using his Listerine and had no problems. Either this stuff needs to build up more in his system or the Dr. needs to up his strength. This is now causing me to continue not trusting him with our children. Such a big battle to live with.

Comment

Hi there
              I've been on antabuse for just a week with very few side effects, I've sourced alcohol free aftershaves etc. For me it's an extra support as I had been clean for two months prior to starting antabuse. I would do anything not to be sick, so these pills are a superd deerrent for weak willed people such as myself.
              Best of luck with whatever you decide to do,
              Much luv
              dasher
              xx

Comment

Working...
              X