Tuesday, December 11th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuesday, December 11th

Good morning everyone!! Today is such a bright day for me thanks to all of you and to my family!!! Instead of waking up with a hangover because yesterday's stress really got to me, I am refreshed and ready to go. When I made my plea for help, so many of you were there for me and I greatly appreciate it!

Today, I have a busy day. My son gave me his final lists of schools and was not upset about removing some of the initial ones from his list. His counselor wants to make sure that he is not top-heavy in his applications to schools that are next to impossible to get into, but I think his choices are good ones. He has added Princeton (another top-heavy school) to his list, since I will now being working with a client 20 minutes away. But, there are other not so top-heavy as well -- what a process it is to get into college these days!!! Unbelievable.

I was thinking that a good topic to discuss today is family and friends that will be visiting during the holidays. I think we all love our families, otherwise we would just kiss them off. But you know during the holidays, they can really get bizarre. So, knowing this ahead of time, I think it would be good to think about what we will be doing with our families and how we will offset their "ideosyncracies" so that they don't take us away from our drinking goals.

I have four targeted areas (which I'm listing in order of stress level):

1. Visiting with my in-laws. This is very stressful for me -- I like to drink a lot before I go because they make me feel very uncomfortable. My brother-in-law is constantly pressing us about how my son should be a physicist and that I'm wasting his life by pushing him as a political scientific strategist -- which shows how little the idiot knows my son because he has a mind of his own! But we always get in a heated discussion over it. Then they leave me in a room with my sister-in-law, where there are these long spans of silence because we have absolutely nothing in common -- except -- yeap, you guessed it, she likes to drink. Then there is my nephew and his wife and their kids -- I do like them, but they are running around doing their thing, as we always meet at their house.

SO MY GOAL THIS YEAR IS NOT TO GET INTO DISCUSSIONS WITH MY BROTHER-IN-LAW OVER MY SON, AND NOT TO BE IN A ROOM ALONE WITH MY SISTER-IN-LAW -- I'm going to solicit my husband's help or I'm not going to go. I've made up my mind. We should go with planned topics of conversation.

2. My brother. I don't like him or his wife. They always think they are too good for everybody and I feel so uncomfortable around them. He has been pushing to get together -- it's driving me nuts. So, I've decided if they want to see us, it has to be on our turf -- that probably means they won't come -- hoorah!!! But if they do, I'll be in a better situation.

3. Christmas shopping and decorations -- we always do this Christmas Eve -- my husband and I always fight over how much we're spending. We get thrown out of every store as they are closing, and we are always exhausted putting up the tree, as it is a very long day. So this year, I'm doing most of my shopping by internet. We are going Sunday to get our tree and get into the spirit a Christmas nursery (this place is unbelievable). And we are going to decorate in accordance with the number of day sof Channakah (there will be seven days left after we get our tree). We are going to decorate a little each day -- lights one day, bulbs the next, etc.

4. My parents coming to dinner -- well Thanksgiving worked so I'm going for two for two -- plan a specific time for them to show for them to leave, and let them know the ground rules.

So, though I'm sure it won't be easy and I'll have to be on my guard, I'm entering the season less stressed about family since I have a plan.

Anybody else have any ideas how they are going to deal with the stress of relatiaves and friends?

Love to hear,
    MM
    Saving the day one minute at a time!

Tuesday, December 11th

Good Morning MM,
    Thanksgiving turned out pretty well considering I had my whole family my son in laws family, which my other two kids were not thrilled about coming..all in all, it was very nice, and my kids were pleasantly pleased with the outcome. This year I've worked hard to avoid the holiday stress and am doing really well with pacing my energy...I've done most of the shopping on the internet and stayed within a budget that I've already discussed with my husband (we usually 'debate' the funds as well)..we are aligned with that so already, half the stress is gone. I decorated my house all last weekend and blocked the whole weekend just to do that and to organize the house a bit..that worked our really well because I got to enjoy the process..there was nothing else that I 'had' to do so I was able to give myself completely to it. My oldest daughter wants to have Xmas dinner at her house, so that's great..I don't have to worry about that..I just have to show up and let it be..I have no expecations about how she'll do it, so I'll focus on the kids.

I do want to have some special time with my other son and daughter..I'm shopping with her this evening and will have her and her boyfriend over one night to watch her favorite Xmas movie..The Grinch..when my son comes from Florica, I'd like to find something nice to do with him..The last few years I've taken him to a local park and we've walked my two small dogs..it's such a nice way to just be together and catch up..I know he really enjoys it to..

So, my plan is to keep things simple, and to enJOY the season by being in the moment and not getting caught up with expecations...accepting everyone as they are..ESPECIALLY family because I've finally learned that they aren't going to change, I can only change by not expecting them to be any different than they are..and I've learned that that really is a gift I can give to them, it's one that is precious when I recieve it from others.

Great topic MM!
    Namaste everyone!
    Di

Comment

Tuesday, December 11th

Good morning all,

Well it is frosty and cold but the soccer field next to me is filled with Canadian Geese and a few Whooping Cranes in the far back corner as I am not so sure these two groups get along with each other. What a wonderful sight to behold though!

MM, interesting topic but I can not even go there today as I am concentrating on the client from hell sitting at my doorstep as though she were the only client I am working with.

To offset her however was yesterday's lunch client that has over 400 hours for me in January. After the two guys I found to write the search engine left the owner pulled me aside and said as a bonus when we franchise this, we want to give you 5% stock in the company as you have put so much of your creative energies into this, you enthusiasm and talent have helped me develop this whole concept. That rocked as most people are not that generous . . nor do they particularly notice the extras they are getting!

Dilayne, the perfect voice of reason and living in the moment. Sounds like a great plan and you are right, families don't particularly change and well, then change your expectations and life is simply easier.

I am thinking of all of you and hoping it is a "feel good" kind of day.

Love and Hugs,
      Mary

Comment

Tuesday, December 11th

Hello all, cannot say much right now (yes, I know shocking), but wanted to say awesome job to you Mary. Are you going to be listed in Forbes as one of the richest people next year?? How generous of them to not only recognize your hard work but to then reward you for it. Shocking. SOmething my employer does not know the meaning of. Oh wait, I always get a Thanks for all you do e-mail at Christmas. How could I forget that?

As far as family and the holidays, my alcoholic brother will not be coming to visit this year as he has for the last 7 years and for that I am thankful, thankful, thankful. Sadly, my parents have passed away and my Christmases were always full of happy, loving memories and for that I am thankful as well. Not a lot of people can say that.

Hope all of my muffs and muffin men have a nice day!!!
        I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Tuesday, December 11th

Mary, Huge Kudos with what you've created with your business! Sounds like you are beginning to reap the benefits of your creativity, experience and your vision! I just want to say to you..Merry Xmas and a PROSPEROUS New Year! :0)

Comment

Tuesday, December 11th

Hello to all! Well as far as the holidays go I am actually very blessed in that I don't have any real conflicts to speak of with any in laws or family members. Christmas Eve is always at my SIL house and this year she is having a huge party with musicians and catered as always. Christmas day is always at my house where we fry two turkeys and all the trimmings and everyone just shows up when they're hungry. My house is very casual as Christmas is dressy.

Christmas cards and decorating are done.. now it's just the shopping part I need to do...yickes!
            Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

Tuesday, December 11th

Di I definaately like your plan of staying in the moment....I will have to follow that one.
              Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

Tuesday, December 11th

Hi Precious...I mailed 60 Xmas cards today..it was fun..I found a photo of my house in a rare snow and made a card from it...'Merry Xmas from our house to yours'...(MKR..there are a few fun advantages of being a graphic designer, heh?'..just felt a little more special than using a store bought one..had lots of stamps and envelopes from a previous mailing so it was budgetized as well..which I always love⁄ :0)

Comment

Tuesday, December 11th

Hi everyone.

I have the tree up, and some presents wrapped for mailiing.

Ever since we moved here we either have to travel to Texas for Christmas or they have to fly here - which no one is doing this year. Thanksgiving was such a bust with just the two of us in the miserable rain and my 3 year old cat died during dinner - heart attack caused by leukemia which we didn't know she had. So I'm dreading Christmas Day. I'm not cookinig our traditional dinner, because it just enforces the absence of family. We are in a very small town but are looking to assist on a volunteer basis somewhere.

The Thanksgiving fiasco has finally forced my husband to put the house up for sale. It has been a big giant flop to isolate me so he can fish, which he does all too seldom.

Anyway we'll get thru it and I'm trying to be AF.

Great day everyone.

Hilary
                  Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Tuesday, December 11th

God, you all are making me tired!

Comment

Tuesday, December 11th

Hi everyone -

Lots of good stuff here today. I am not having such a hot day and I don't have a whole lot to say.....so......I guess I'll end with Happy Tuesday everyone! Enjoy your day.

Hawk.
                      Hawk

Comment

Tuesday, December 11th

hello everyone!

I've not been about lately as I am 2.5 weeks into my exciting new job. I really love it, and I managed a night out with work last night without getting too drunk. although apparently I look like Courtney Love according to my workmates...even when sober

the mods are going well, I'm only getting really drunk once a week at the moment, so feeling better about myself generally.

Comment

Tuesday, December 11th

Hey everybody. Happy Tuesday from me too! Just getting ready to head for town & do some shopping, my Sister's B-day is this Sunday, so as usual, I'll probably get her gift to her in the traditional fashion.. LATE! We have a mutual thing about that so, I don't feel too bad.

Hope all's well with everyone, as well as can be.

Peace & Hugs, Judie
                          The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Tuesday, December 11th

Thank you all for the good wishes, I totally appreciate that! This project has had so many AAAHAA moments for the advertisers that I think it will do incredibly well . . . still franchising and building this will be a while away. I totally enjoy working with this guy though he lets me fly and he is so appreciative of my artwork and marketing talents.

Lush dear, I am sorry your boss treats you like that. Everyone wants to be acknowledged for their contributions. We love you over here!! I bow to my senior majesty!!! I appreciate you soooooooo very much!!!

Sophiah, sorry we are tiring you out! I think it is a holiday thing!

Dilayne, cool on the cards bet they are beautiful! I am being a slug and doing store bought ones this year. one year I got it together and put one of my illustrations on the front. That was before I owned my own biz, haven't had the time to do that in recent years . . but looking forward to those kinds of times in a few more years.

Hilary, WELCOME aboard if I did not send you one yet. I am sorry to hear you have felt so isolated. I am so sorry about your cat, what a horrible thing to happen during Thanksgiving dinner. Are you definitely moving? I wish you whatever happiness can come your way.

Mike, cool avatar and I know you will make it through this. tough to not have your kids on the exact holiday. You already are planning well!

Hawk, do you not feel well because of impending surgery? holidays too close? talk to us let us know.

Tinkerbell, good to see you back! Glad you like your job. What are you doing now if you don't mind telling us.

Judie, so many birthdays so little time! People in my family look forward to my lame a** belated cards. I usually try to pick the really funny ones up when I see them, so if I miss the day . . they still get a laugh outta it.

This is for all who recognize this client in whatever form they walk into your office or sit down in your restaurant but I know, Dilayne will recognize her . . . .I just finished the client from hell . . well . . for today . . can you just change this . . . next email . . . can you just give me another color . . . oh can we just go back to that color you had . . . can we just go back to that original drawing you did two days ago, the one with. . . oh, here are more text changes I made (meanwhile she keeps them in the same doc as before and doesn't highlight them. making me either reread every freakin page or reformat the full website.) I do not think it is maliciousness with her but she is pretty pushy and definitely computer and marketing illiterate. I have over 7 emails a day from her for the past 2 weeks . . Can I JUST find a little more patience for her?! ahem, thanks for letting me vent!!

MM, on to your topic for the day which is interesting, and well something I should think about and try to not be so overwhelmed:

Well, I guess it is good that my sister is coming into town early and she is doing dinner at my parents house. It is way too much on my mom and since my sister moved she has not had the opportunity to cook, clean, grocery shop and plan everything. TEE HEE! I am delighted it is not on me as most every holiday has been the past few years! I am on the list for quite a few appetizers and dishes but it is not the same as hosting it. So one stress out of the way. :H

My alcoholic brother and his wife are staying with us. He is total party animal and just a laugh a minute but I can't stay up and do that much past midnight. At his lake house this summer the 3 party poopers were his wife, my husband and me. My plan is to have a glass of wine at dinner on Christmas and have 1-2 crowns with him at home later.

All the decorating and shopping are on me, it's my own budget, my time and my patience standing in line. So while there are no arguments about the above, I really have to pace myself. It is one of those things I do as my husband just hates all of it. Last Sunday heading over to Barnes and Noble, with his dad on my Hannakuh list, my husband actually offered his own credit card. I took it and was thinking maybe these invitations to retire are going to get backed up!!

Gotta go home and do more Christmas cards.
                            Hugs and Love to all,
                            Mary

Comment

Tuesday, December 11th

hey everyone it is tje 12th???

I have been writing the 12 on everything all day!?

Eveyone having a great time tonight??? We are, the weather is marvelous!! Can't beleive it is in the 70s right now!! love it!!

love you all, just checking in!

hugs and kisses!!!:h :l

Comment

Working...
                              X