I'll pick my own shoes, thank you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last night I had an epiphany as to why I have such a hard time making decisions. Please indulge a little trip down memory lane for a moment. (Think 1974.)

I was perhaps 6 years old and my mother and grandmother had taken me shopping for a new set of school clothes. When it came time to pick out shoes, my mother suggested one pair -- Huckabees, I think -- and my grandmother suggested another -- Buster Browns. I was put into a state of crisis. I felt that I was going to please one of them and hurt the other's feelings based on which pair of shoes I chose. I tried them both on, walked around in them, kept saying how much I liked them both, and in the end, would not choose. I forced them to choose for me. (I ended up with the Huckabees.)

Fast forward to the period 1990-1998. During this time I was in a relationship with someone whose emotional fortress was so thick as to be impenetrable. By about 1994 I knew it was a lost cause. By 1996 I knew it was over and started "trying" to end it -- but I did so by passive-agressive means. I didn't have the courage to make the decision to end it. I made things so miserable for both of us over the next two years that it finally reached a boiling point and he finally had no choice but to leave. Again, I would not choose;
    I forced him to make the decision.

Again and again throughout my life, I have not been able to make a decision. When faced with a choice, particularly one that involves another person's feelings, I weigh the options and go back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, until I am dizzy and almost insane. Now is where this begins to tie in with my alcoholism. Having a drink would help to calm that frenzied oscillation in my mind for a while. It wouldn't help make up my mind; it would just offer some temporary relief. The drink would wear off, the hangover would end, and the waffling would pick up where it left off. And how did I "make a decision?" By a mental toss of the coin, I'm afraid. Basically, it went like this: whenever I got so sick and tired of the insanity, whatever direction I was leaning in would be the choice I would make, for better or for worse. Yeah, that's a great way to make decisions.

In my hypno session last night my therapist took me back to that day shopping with my mother and grandmother when I was facing that crisis. I had to choose to disappoint one or the other of them, and please the other (or so I thought). This time I got to do it differently. This time, I looked carefully at both pairs they suggested, but then went and picked out a pair of my own and said "I want these shoes." My mother and grandmother looked at each other and at me and just smiled and we all started laughing. I realized that my fear of hurting their feelings was all in my head. And I took control of the situation and made a choice all on my own, letting them know that I had a mind and a voice of my own. Now I need to carry this into the rest of my life.

I share this with you because recently I've been faced with another very personal decision that involves (potentially, in my mind at least) hurting another person's feelings. As I've struggled to make this choice, I've grown more and more tense over the last couple of months and I have become less sure of what I really want. I have been caught up in a whirlwind of thought and emotion and rationalization and fear and anxiety -- and that's not a good place for an alcoholic to be. Over the last couple of days I have felt like my head was just going to explode. I wasn't craving a drink, thank God, but it occurred to me that these were the exact feelings that made me want to drink in the past. I'm sure we all have our own private neuroses that we carry around with us, but the feelings they trigger in us (fear, anxiety, sadness) are universal -- and they give the monster room to get into our heads and start working on us.

A drink won't solve anything. It won't help me make a decision. It won't make the problem go away. It won't make the other person's feelings NOT get hurt. It won't do a damn thing except send me down the road to destruction. I'm glad I realize that now, but I tell you, the pressure sure builds up and is more noticeable when I'm not taking drinks to "blow off some steam." I'm glad for that pressure. It's showing me where the real work needs to be done.

Thanks for indulging me.

~ Mike
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Indulge, indulge Mike! You help me, and I'm sure many others, by doing so. I'm guilty of being a people pleaser and of indecisiveness myself. It scares me to think of how many major decisions in my life have been polluted by alcohol and fear. My decision to marry at the "wrong" age, have children while not really certain if it was right for me, my career, major purchases ( house, car), and on and on. I didn't really follow my heart on any of these decisions. I am tired of not knowing myself. I don't want to die without ever getting to know the real me. Alcohol (and pills) prevent me from EVER achieving that goal.

Comment

its all relative

I can relate to not wanting to hurt someone's feelings, but in truth the worst thing to do is not be honest. I always think that there is a kind way to tell someone the truth. As in your prior realtionship, I too behaved much in the same manner with an old relationship. I did some really awful things--and in the end he still would not leave me, so I still had to end it anyways. I look back on that experience and know if I had just ended it when I knew my feelings were over I would have saved both of us much hurt and grief. Dragging it out only added to it--time that could have spent recovering from the hurt instead of adding to it.

This is off topic--but I wanted to add this. I had decided not to attend our company Christmas party. Not because I felt I would be tempted, rather spending time with people 2 sheets to the wind is no longer my idea of fun. So Monday morning rolls around--and several are discussing how much "fun" they had at the party--all in relation to how much alcohol they had. Somehow stories of doing stupid things, driving drunk (this was the next morning--because the individual was still drunk from the night before), not remembering things and stealing drink tickets--all in the name of "fun"--ended up sounding rather childish to me--like a bunch of immature teenagers. Looking at it from this side of the fence really puts things in perspective. While they were all having their "fun"--I was curled up with my 2 boys and 2 nieces watching "Polar Express" and pretending that we were riding on the train. That is what is fun to me now--a night that I will cherish forever--rather than one where I am wondering the next day--"what the hell happened?".

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Comment

Mike et.al. :

That definitely sounds like you are making progress. In my own experience, those revelations of growth are sometimes painful. Not so much for reliving a past experience, but for a regret that is generated now.

I so much wish I had matured to the point I am now, back 30 years ago. In retrospect, I remember that others had. Yet, others my age are still stuck in the way they see things as they did as teenagers.

Example: My boss and I were having an argument one night. He said respect and fear are the same thing. No difference. In his mind, if you respected someone, you feared them. Conversely, if you feared someone, you respected them. This to me is a childish way of looking at it.

So I posed him a question. Lets say you see a crazed meth addict, brandishing a machine gun in a public area where you are at. Do you respect them? Most probably not, you see them as a pitiful low-life. Do you fear them? Yes, because they have no regard for your life, and would shoot you sight unseen.

Then I turned it around. I knew my boss talked about a particular employee who was his close friend from years ago. I asked if he feared him, and he said no. Then, the final logic, was if he respected him? The answer was yes. So a light turned on in his head, and he simply said to me, ?Touch??

It may have been you that was relating that a drinker ceases to mature or grow emotionally, instead relying on alcohol to cope with the stresses and strains of injustice and perceived offense. It is only when we become sober, that we must develop the inner powers of spirit, logic, faith, and reason to deal with the difficulties of our lives.

I have found over the last several months, that for every painful growth I have endured, that a greater insight and wisdom was gained. It is healing of the mind and spirit, as well as the body. These are things I personally want to write about more often, and try to convey them in a positive light. Giving up the bottle is not all horror, sorrow, and deprivation. It is also revelation, insight, and illumination. We as hardcore drinkers have walked on the brimstones of hell, and in doing so, becoming sober, we now know the best rocks to place our feet to climb up.

There are fears and perceptions of fear, that I have, which still must be addressed. It is that elephant that I mentioned, that I must eat. Be that as it may, I could be in a group now, and everyone else would say, ?Oh you simply must buy the Nikes! It?s what so-and-so is wearing on that new hit TV show. If you buy anything else, we will ostracize you, and talk about you behind your back. After all, if you don?t get what so-and-so has, then you are just simply not with it!?

So then I buy the ASICS Gel Legacy shoes, sitting unnoticed in the corner. Why? I like them better, they feel better, they work better, they last longer. To hell with so-and-so on the new hit TV show, and the ?sheeples? with stars in their eyes.

That?s right. You are right to pick out your own shoes. After all, it is you that has to wear them, and walk that proverbial mile in.

Be well.

Neil

Comment

Wow-

I think I will go back and re read this again. I am now af for 45days and what you are referring to - this dealing with issues full on without the assistance of the alcohol 'fogging' things up- is just now starting to present itself to me. I completely relate to not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings- I totally understood the shoe store story Mike. I was the same kind of kid. I would always prefer to suffer before inconveniencing someone else -or potentially hurting someone's feelings. I have been working on this for awhile - even before trying to quit drinking.
          I had to practice saying 'no'. No, thank you, I don't want to go to what I'm sure will be a fun tupperware party. No, thank you, I prefer not to go all night bowling with you tonight. No, thank you, I don't care to look at your wedding album....Again. It can be quite liberating.
          Anyway, this was a great post - thanks for sharing.

And, Kim- what a great post too about your party. I had a work reception to attend last night and I mingled for an hour and then went home (nice and sober after my two diet cokes). I got 'the rest of the story' this morning. Sooooo happy I was sung in my bed at home with my three kitty cats watching some
          Christmas special instead of ordering another round. Happy I wasn't the one who said (when the boss decided to leave) "Hey, let's keep this party going!!! woo hoo" So happy I was not the one this morning wondering if I looked silly or said something crazy or...oh my, what did I say to my boss??
          Sober is a beautiful thing!
          Thanks guys-
          Lisa

Comment

I decided to give Petey a run as the avatar for a whle. He is an attention hog. Sorry no reindeer antlers. He decided that they were beneath his dignity as well, taking a cue from Katie.

Neil

Comment

Hey all,

Thanks everyone for sharing your incredible insigiht and wisdom. I feel so fortunate to be here and to be able to glean your thoughts. Neil, (and Mike) you should write a book! Your clarity and eloquence does justice to the very complex issues you discuss. I love reading your posts.

The idea of not being able to make a decision and the idea of emotional maturity being stunted while constantly returning to alcohols' stuphor will stay with me all day... my themes for the day when I have time to ponder (like at the gym! ) Maybe I'll have something to add to the subject later.

Meanwhile... Neil... any chance you could tell us a bit more about the #16 Stretch Exercise you did first??
              If not on this thread, than maybe over in Fitness?? I'm really curious and it'll take several weeks to get the book over here. If you don't mind...

Thanks all,
              Olly

Comment

Working...
              X