My morning in the laundromat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My washing machine motor decided to take it's last breath this morning and konk out. I had to drag water-soaked clothes along with 5 additional loads to the laundromat so my kids would have some socks to wear to school tomorrow. Now, this could have normally pissed me off big time. You know, "Damn!! It's Christmas and I have so many other things I need to do right now." But I attended a meeting last night where a woman shared how she recently spent 11 days in jail for smashing up her car while driving in a black out. She told us how the only thing keeping her going is to remind herself how grateful she was for all the miniscule things and for not being in prison. That hit home for me. I kept that mental attitude with me this morning. I felt grateful that we have money to buy clothes to dress the boys. I spent my time in Target which is in the same shopping center. Normally I feel a bit anxious wth this whole Christmas shopping thing, but I was reminded of that woman and I felt grateful that I wasn't in jail and that I WAS able to go Christmas shopping for all those I care for. I really noticed people's expressions and played a game trying to see how many people I could get to smile. It worked! It made me smile inside. I am discovering I really like people more these days. I appreciate our differences and our commonalities more and more each day. I feel less judgmental, as I am NOT one to judge. I returned to the laundromat with 10 minutes to spare. Time passed quickly as I marveled at the industrial strength of these commercial washers and dryers. It was mesmerizing watching the clothes tumble through the glass door. Okay, yes I feel high today. What a geek! But I am feeling well and I am feeling happy in this sober body.

God, so many inspiring things going on around the boards today and Gina this story is just another one of them. I am gaining so much strength from all of you absters that I just know I can keep getting better and better. Thanks for sharing.
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

I can relate

When we were talking yesterday...this is exactly what I meant! All the little marvels that I can appreciate now. Last week I was stuck in 3 hour traffic jam--usually this would have me reeling. Instead I cleaned out my purse, then the car and then just watched as the snow flakes came down. I never really, really looked at a snowflake like that before--but it was beautiful.

I too went to a meeting last night. It is my big one with 200 people. This 76 year old woman had an incredible story--she had us laughing and then crying (even the guys had tears). When we came together for the Lord's Prayer the energy in that room was incredible.

Love you girl!

Comment

It is so amazing how ones senses return with time. I think all those circuits in our brains that appreciate the simple things get turned back on, bit by bit with continued sobriety.

Just today, I return home from work. They they are. My two little dogs. Katie and Petey jumping up and down with joy to see me. They are my bestest buddies in the world I think, and they worship the ground I walk on.

So I visit them, and bring them snacks and treats. They just have to get their face licks in, and you know that they are not satisfied until they do.

My gait is stonger, and my voice more clear. My eyes and ears sharper. The doggies know things, and are sensitive to things that us humans are not aware of. They know it. They know I am glad to be sober and alive. They know not of alcohol, or intoxication. They do know of the scent of the air, and sounds of the forest around me out here. It is our place, and it is good. It is good to be alive.

Neil

Comment

Working...
        X