Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wake up Sleepy Heads...

:eeks:

Is this a better wake-up call? Mike, not the first time I've been called a good Drill Seargent... and me thinks something a bit softer would be a nicer way to start the day.

Wow, so much great input yesterday. While living on the other side of world from most of you, I'm usually snoozing while you all are posting. But, I'll take some time today and try to catch up on the posts. However, I've decided to not try and do this in the mornings as I've taken much more time than I should, every time I've tried to read before the gym. I just get so immersed in all the threads! I find I need to wake up and be focused on JUST getting exercise and keep that focus until it's done... or else I loose my conviction. Besides, in Pavlovian style, I think I should use this site as my "reward" for after an hours' exercise!!

So, for today, I'll go ahead and start today's thread and give a gentle nudge to everyone to start their day with thoughts of endorphines and wonderful mind-body benefits... and catch up later.

Oh, I think we should all do a special workout tomorrow in honor of Neils' 1-Year of AF clarity and strength!!

take care all,
    Olly

Wake up Sleepy Heads...

Hi Olly! I'm on Eastern Standard Time - I live in the Baltimore/Washington, DC area. I had a press release coming out and they wanted my picture -- I told them I would have my tech people do it -- woke up 1:00 AM my time and realized I forgot to get back to the press agent -- thank G-d they are on the West Coast -- so I called them and in their normal sweet, wonderful way -- they said no problem we have another hour!!! So it got out and on time!! Now I'm wide awake and I have to leave for a three hour ride in the morning for New Jersey -- the state is a new client!! So, I'm alreayd awake and it sure was nice to know someone else is up at this hour -- unfortunately, I'm going back to bed and try to get some sleep -- though my adrenilin is on overload.

You won't hear from me in the morning as I have to leave really early.

Hope everyone has a great day!

MM
    Saving the day one minute at a time!

Comment

Wake up Sleepy Heads...

Looks like lots of folks are having a quiet day so far today. I did make it to the gym, but it was really a struggle. I just didn't want to go !! And, once there, I really wasn't able to ralley the good vibe. It was a sluggish going-through-the-motions. I'm not quite sure why. I'm on AF 16. I slept well. I haven't had any major emotional curveballs. I wanted to feel good. I just didn't. And, after lunch I felt exhausted and took a nap!! Yikes. I haven't had to take a nap since that last hangover...

So, I think I'll switch up my schedule a bit. Hoping to make the gym Mon-Fri for an hour is too much. I will start planning to go Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday... and do both upper and lower workouts... maybe it won't be a dreaded obligation as it felt this morning.

Oh, and Lisa, I could barely squeeze 8 minutes on the stairmaster... level 3. Nah, not a great day. But, at least I'm still AF!!

take care, Olly

Comment

Wake up Sleepy Heads...

Morning All!
        Thanks for the nudge Olly..I didn't want to get up this morning either but thought 'I just can't post that I overslept AGAIN!" So, I got up.

MM- drive safely! Glad you got your pic in but hope you got a good nap too.

8min on the stairmaster is good...progress is what counts right?
        My workout mantra ( when I'm wrestling with whether or not to get up and go to the gym) has been...
        "it's not up to me'. I tell myself that the decision has already been made and I have no choice in the matter.

so hmmm,,, should I go to the gym or sleep more?....if it were up to me the answer would be sleep...unfortunately, it isn't up to me so I'd better get up. Wow....the mind games we play eh?
        So far it has worked pretty well. There have been many many times I wanted to stay home and just not go but have just gone anyway.
        I've told myself that my alter ego (the one who made the decision that I have to go to the gym), will be in charge of my exercise program for a year. And after a year if I see No difference in my physical well being or appearance, then the old me can have the body back and sit it on the couch.
        I have a pretty good idea that working out 3-5 times a week for a year will have to show up somehow right?!

Anyway- that's my crazy internal work out dialogue. I am always happy after I've gone to workout. Always! I never have thought - well that was a waste of time. Some days are better than others of course but still...better than sitting on a couch eating nachos!
        ok...gotta go

Where is everyone else today?? Mona, Barb? Capto? Becca? forgetting people but have to go now...work work work...

Lisa

Comment

Wake up Sleepy Heads...

Thanks Lisa... you're so right. I like the idea of giving the reins to my alter-ego... that drill-seargent know it all! I need a mantra. Also, I think if I go straight to exercising in the morning before getting too distracted with other things I'll feel more focused. I've got an early Doc appt. tomorrow and classes all afternoon, so I'll take the day off and try to get in a good walk. Hm, now back to a mantra.....

Olly

Comment

Wake up Sleepy Heads...

Hey,

Cap here, though it's late. I canceled gym today, cause my two grandkids are hitting the door latter this afternoon for a ten day visit. That should keep me busy! I will do some cardio early in the morning though.

Best,

Cap

Comment

Wake up Sleepy Heads...

Hey, Olly- I found that working out in the morning helps me get it done. I'm in the gym before I'm fully awake! Then I don't have it hanging over my head all day. I know I have a better chance of blowing it off in the evening.

Cap- enjoy the visit with the grandkids. That should keep you running!!

hi to everyone else...bedtime for me.

lisa

Comment

Wake up Sleepy Heads...

Power Peoples!!

Good news to report! Those new stretches are putting the zap on my strength and endurance.

I had to blast outside the base aerobic zone today to even break a sweat. My target fat burn zone is 120 to 138 beats per minute heart rate. I had to spin those pedals like crazy just to get over 120. What gives!!

So I kicked up the resistance, and was pedaling 25 mph and finally after 4 minutes, I got in the zone. Wasn't even phasing me.

I held it at 25mph, and went 10 minutes to push over 150 heart rate, and got to 155. I looked down, and by this time rivulets of sweat are usually pouring out and I'm huffing and puffing. One little bead formed, and finally trickled down my chest. Good grief! I was even breathing through my nose, and not panting like my dogs on a July afternoon. OK, OK!!

That heart rate is expansion zone. Recovery back down to 80 beats a minute in just 5 minutes. What a change!! Nothing is different from last workout, other than those stretches. I didn't even load with phenibut or supplements before the workout. There is something to that Meridain System!

I need to get a pulse-ox meter, to check this out. I want one for Christmas!!

Tomorrow. One year on the up and up!!

Neil

Comment

Wake up Sleepy Heads...

December 15th, now known as Neil Day

Happy Rebirth Day Neil !!

Neil, you're right, your notching up the physical stamina is probably due to the stretches. But, consider this for fun... what if it's "the universe" giving you "proof" of how much stronger and more capable you are now, after a year of taking care of yourself body and soul? I'm ordering the book and reminding myself that good things will come from "doing the right thing"

Someone needs to get Friday started.. I'm off to the city today for a doc appt.
                  Have a good one.
                  Olly

Comment

Wake up Sleepy Heads...

Question, Neil

Hi Neil
                    Oh and another congratulations as it'll now be the 15th "up there"!

Re the Meridian stretching; I had a look at a few reviews of this book as it looked very interesting, but some people thought it a tad difficult for "beginners" and perhaps not too easy to follow. I know you do have quite a diverse range of physical activities so you (obviously!!) don't appear to have that problem. But, do you reckon it would be a bit much for a complete exercising novice to tackle? (It's just I'd have to order the book from overseas, so can't get a look beforehand!)
                    Thanks
                    Blondie

Comment

Wake up Sleepy Heads...

my gym is closed next week as there putting new equipment in .. going there 3 times a week has been a good focus . ie helping me to keep alochol free . this week tho il have to try harder ie go for more walks etc as the the gym is closed .. i still have a craving for a drink at certian times of the day but ill keep trying ..
                      hi to everyone

Comment

Wake up Sleepy Heads...

Ditto Blondie...

Olly

Comment

Wake up Sleepy Heads...

Blondie and Olly:

Wanted to get back to you on those questions.

The book has three sets of stretches. Each in groups of sixteen.

There is a beginning set, and intermediate set, and an advanced set. I just started on the beginning set, and they are not so difficult to physically do. It will be a while I think before I attempt the intermediate set.

It does take a while to do them right though. I had to study the instructions, and the pictures of the positions for a while to understand what it was I was supposed to do. The beginning set is far easier than a lot of yoga positions, and far less painful than static or active-isolated stretches. The method is amazing. I can report immediate results in my overall flexibility, with no real straining like other systems. A lot of thought went into this system I can tell already. So the difficulty is the reading and understanding of it, and not so much the physical part of the stretches.

Hope that long winded answer helped out a bit. My hamstrings have been a real bear to get any results on with other systems, and these Meridian exercises have done more in just 4 sessions than months of other systems.

Neil

Comment

Wake up Sleepy Heads...

Title?

Xtexan,

Late in getting onto this, but could you share the title of the book? Also, I believe you may have mentioned a website as well?

Thanks,

Cap

Comment

Wake up Sleepy Heads...

Hi Capto:

The book is called "The Genius of Flexibility" by Bob Cooley.

Look in the "What We're Reading" section under the forum. The thread is titled the same I think.

Here is the link to the website. They have links to the Amazon and other book stores if you wish to buy it.

Meridian Flexibility & Stretching Center

For me, this is the real thing. It works! I like stuff that WORKS!!

Neil

Comment

Working...
                              X