One revolution around the Sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since December 15, 2005 the Earth has traveled almost all the way around the Sun: 584 million miles (940 million kilometers). It is almost back to the same exact position in its orbit as it was on that day one year ago. As I write this, it still has 1,608,000 miles to go before it completes its revolution and is in the exact same spot. What is so special about this mark in the Earth?s orbit? For one man, it is the spot in Earth?s orbit at which he took his last drink. This year, and every year as the Earth goes round the Sun, he will celebrate his rebirth.

This man in Tennessee was weak and tired this time last year. He was killing himself with booze and cigarettes. He didn?t know it yet, but he was coming down with a life-threatening case of pneumonia. All of the strength within him went unused.

A short while later, gasping for breath, he knew he had to make a choice: life or death. Continue with drinking and smoking, or live. His survival instinct kicked in and he decided to live.

As the Earth continued its journey around the Sun, this man started taking good care of himself. He ate good foods and took supplements. He read good books and meditated. He started exercising his tired body. At first all he could do was walk, but he did it. He pushed himself to do what he could, and when that became comfortable he pushed himself to do more.

As winter became spring and spring became summer, this man grew and bloomed just like the landscape around him. His body and spirit responded to the care they were getting for the first time and he felt like a new man. The better he felt, the more he wanted to do for himself. He started running and lifting weights. He felt like a teenager again.

Occasionally the monsters of alcohol and tobacco would come knocking at his door. He would beat them to a bloody pulp.

As summer became fall, the man started feeling tired. He wondered if he might be in dangerous territory again. He sought out a new source of strength, and met a group of people on a similar journey on a website called My Way Out.

From the fall and into the winter, this man shared his experience, strength and hope with his new friends at My Way Out. He gave them a fresh perspective and they learned from his journey, as he learned from theirs. He inspired and encouraged all those who read his story.

Now, as the sun approaches that same mark on its path, this man is a different man. He is stronger and wiser. He is happy to be alive. He is sharing that enthusiasm and vigor with others. His body and spirit glow, and his eyes have a spark of knowingness. He has been to the depths of despair and back. He knows that life is worth living, because he has made the conscious choice to do so.

We at My Way Out are forever grateful that you made that choice, Neil, and that you came here to share part of your journey with us.
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Thanks Guys...

Thank you Mike... that is a wonderful and awe-inspiring post. I can only line up behind you to thank Neil.

Neil... "are we almost there yet?" "Soon honey, just a million miles or so to go" Talk about "coming a long way..."

I am so honored to have shared bits and pieces of this milestone journey of yours. It is truly amazing. And, because you are gifted with such wisdom, kindness and eloquence you've been able to give all of us a sort of support and strength that we could not find elsewhere. Your determination and your inner strength is awesome and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the gift of your spirit that you have given here. It has made a huge impact in my own struggle to become a better, healthier person. Thank you with love.

And, here's to another zillion miles together...

all the best, Olly

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS, NEIL!!!
      :h :h :l

I haven't been posting for weeks and weeks but every now and then I lurk just to see what folks are up to--and I see that major, major congratulations are in order!!! Way to go!!! Thanks for all your inspirational posts, your encouraging words--for being here!

And thanks, Mike, for an absolutely beautiful narrative reminding us of the magnitude of our choices....And good work on choosing not to drink!!

And hello to all my old friends and all the newbies here--isn't this a wonderful place to get support for this most important of journeys--back to our true selves and our real lives!

Me--I'm doing great, finishing up my second to the last semester in seminary--lots and lots of papers due! I'm no longer taking Campral and I don't really have any cravings at all...I just so don't miss the horror that was me drinking nonstop!!!

BTW, it's been EIGHT MONTHS for me as of Monday!!

Congratulations to all!! Keep up the good work!!
      :h
      susan
      "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Comment

Beautiful Mike. And to you Neil I bow down and say Congratulations. One year without drinking. Amazing. Thanks for sharing your wise words with us. You have taught many of us many things. Enjoy your special day.
        I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Beautiful Mike,

Neil - Congratulations. I know you have done this through a lot of hard work and determination. You have inspired me and many others.

I also bow to you.

Hilary:h
          Enlightened by MWO

Comment

That was a beautiful sentiment Mike and so eloquently put.
            Yet another piece of inspiation to carry me along.

Thank you.

Comment

Mike, you move me to tears.
              Neil - congratulations and thank you for sharing your journey with us.
              I am nothing short of eternally grateful for having you both with us.
              And for having each and all of us.
              Thanks RJ for bringing us together.
              Love Jen
              Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Mike, that left me speechless.

Neil, have a wonderful, wonderful first Birthday

Love from Louise. xxx
                A F F L..
                Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Guys....Friends.....all you beautiful souls.

I don't know what to say. I'm at work, having a bear of a day. I just logged on and read this.

Wiping tears from my eyes, hoping nobody walks into my office right now.

Mike....what can I say. Thanks for the kindest of words to help me continue on. I am sitting here choked up, and have no idea of how to thank you for that.

Everyone, Jenneh, Kate, Paul, Hilary,Lush, Susan, Olly, and Fan. How can express my thanks to you for your kind words? edit: Irishlady!! my babe!!

Jeez, I hope nobody walks into my office right now. I have a roll of paper towels in my credenza, and I need to wipe my eyes. I am touched, and I have a big lump in my throat.

It's been hard at times. Real hard. I share to try and make it less hard for others fighting this battle.

It can be done. You can do it to. Believe in yourself, and go towards anything you can find to bring you strength and sanity.

You, my dear friends, have been such a great part of that strength and sanity. That strength and sanity is called love.

As always, be well.

Neil
                  :thanks:

Comment

Happy 1st birthday to you X! (and MAN-YYY more!!). You are an inspiration to all of us.

Comment

Mike,
                      Absolutely beautiful....kudos Neil

Victoria

Comment

Congratulations & Thanks again

Hi Neil
                        Just reiterating my thanks I posted on General. Well done!!
                        Love
                        Blondie
                        (PS was that a little emoticon I saw at the bottom of your post :H )

Comment

Gina, Victoria, Blondie:

Thank you so much. I just got home from my one hour drive from work and a workout.

I was pumped when I got home!! The people at work were trying to bust my balls all day, and I got really pissed. Then I got back to my office and all these things were waiting for me.

The appreciation and kind words on the screen, after a day of knives in the back from co-workers took me by surprise. It really got to me. Things balance out it seems, and the good is STRONGER than the bad.

I petted my doggies, and went straight for the exercise cycle. I hammered it! 25 minutes at heart rate 147! Thats what it took to just break a sweat, and breathe a little hard. A year ago, that would have put me down with cardiac arrest.

Those new stretches I've been doing have somehow expanded my aerobic capacity and power.

Tomorrow morning I can wake, and see those 586 million miles behind me. I will look at the sun in a new way, and know that at all points of the last go around it, I was sober. It will be a grand feeling.

Neil

BTW Blondie, I use those emoticons very sparingly you know!

Comment

Hi Neil- heartfelt Congratulations! Certainly a year to remember!

I was happy that you said you would be here for a lot longer. Your posts have helped
                            so many people - myself included.

Happy Happy ONE YEAR!!!!!!

Lisa

Comment

about time too neil!!!!

Hey Neil,
                              Couldnt let this day pass without a cyber hug from me... and despite the fact that i couldnt remember my password and it was a struggle to get to internet (long story).. its no doubt been more complex for you to get to your one year birthday..so i'm not in competition with you!!!

Many cultures have great one year celebrations that they undertake for a one year birthday. Most of the celebrations are two fold, in that they celebrate the hard work of the parents and they offer a great party for the child.

I hope you manage to do both things for yourself today.. to allow the child to celebrate and to recognise the work of the adult in you.

What a difference a year makes!!!
                              Well done Neil.. well done.
                              And i'm already planning your 2nd year birthday!!!!!
                              Brigidxxxxxxx

Comment

Working...
                              X