Can't Go On Like This...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Go On Like This...

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am a 28 year old woman who is a problem drinker. SO MANY times I have said, "I am never drinking again." I'm sure we all have said this at some point, but I know I never really meant it.

I am one of those drinkers who can go from buzzed and "the life of the party" to incapacitated in seconds. I never see it coming. I get over confident and think that I can drink more when really I can't. I don't seem to have that "shut off" switch that everyone else has. And I get either violent or say things that are totally embarrasing or stupid or I get all emotional. Why do some people have this tendency while other people just mellow or are really drunk, but not embarrasing themselves? I just don't get it.

I'm here to turn over a new leaf, though. I am sick and tired of being the drunk loser. I don't drink every night or even every weekend, but when I do, I usually over do it. I'm hoping to try moderation and was successful this weekend in doing so, but I didn't leave the house. I am trying to embrace the concept of "sipping." Interesting, I never knew you could do that with wine!

My family and friends ask me why I drink like this when I have so much going for me? I'm not really sure. I am comfortable in social situations without a drink. A drink just makes things better. I used to feel like I was alone until I found this site. I was so scared. My over-drinking has caused many problems in my life including broken bones, lost cell phones and credit cards, lost friendships, and fighting with my boyfriend. I feel so ashamed the day after a bad night and it is definately affecting my self esteem. I beat myself up over it. I never looked for help until now because I thought AA was the only option, and "I don't drink every day!" I now realize it is more about what happens when you drink than how much you drink.

I may never know what causes me to drink the way that I do, but I do know that my life will be better because of moderation. If I can't do moderation, I will try abs. Anyway, just wanted to share a little bit about myself and to say thanks for being here and for telling your stories because you have given me hope.
    :new:

No More Drama!

Can't Go On Like This...

Hi Drama and welcome.

Love the screen name. Personally I think you are steps ahead of some of us who imbibe every day; you have not set up the habit, you occupy your time with things other than drinking, you can take or leave drinking it sounds like. You will be just fine. I would recommend the kudzu (have you read the book from here yet? It is talked about in there along with the other supplements that can help with cravings). The kudzu helps people to drink less when they do drink. It is not a cure-all but if you are determined to not overdrink it can help. Wishing you the best.
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Can't Go On Like This...

Hi No More Drama!

I'm Neil, and I can definitely identify with your post.

Won't go into all the times I turned into a waste case on one of my more public binges. I'bve had people pick me up, and carry me out of bars out cold. I've had them pick me up off the floor many times after falling off a chair, or off a stool oblivious to what just happened.

I like to look at this way. Some people say that they wonder why they cannot "handle" it like others do.

I have an answer for this, that I like to believe. Some of us are not built to be poisoned. Maybe, just maybe, some of us have an essence that cannot take being poisoned with alcohol. It is not a weakness, but maybe it's a gift in disguise. It's up to us, to search out that essence, and let it shine out. We have something that "normal" drinkers do not have. Maybe it is not the lack of something powerful, but the presence of something pure.

At least, thats what I like to believe. Welcome to the forum, and glad you made it here.

Neil

Comment

Can't Go On Like This...

Neil is always so eloquent with his posts... welcome and know you are not alone...nice to have you here
        Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

Can't Go On Like This...

Welcome!

Hello No More Drama!

I can too, identify with your post. I am one who can go from "life of the party' to incompacitated in a matter of seconds! I don't remember, but have been told, that once about 6 years ago, after leaving a night club, decided to take a Nap in a ditch. I just thank God - for my friends who found me there and took me home. (how embarrassing is that!)

You have come to a very nice place here. You will get the support and love you need to help you through this! I truly have! Welcome, welcome, welcome!

Comment

Can't Go On Like This...

Hello No More Drama.

You are not alone. I can relate to what you say about your self-esteem and feeling like a loser. You have come to the right place to turn over a new leaf. There are so many great people here who know exactly what to say to get me on an even keel. I love it here!

Comment

Can't Go On Like This...

You guys are so awesome!! Thanks for making me feel so welcome and for letting me know I am not alone.

Neil, you ARE a very eloquent poster...I like your "purity" theory - it is a very nice way of thinking about it and turning it into a positive, not a negative. I really admire people who can do that, and I try to be that way myself. It isn't always easy to do.

Last night was my boyfriend's work X-mas party, and I had a great time! Three glasses of wine and 1 when I came home, but didn't finish it and didn't feel that compulsion I used to to just down it. I am really amazed at how well the program is working! And that I don't have to be totally wasted to have a good time! I am not taking the Topa, but I am taking the supps, and they seem to be helping, along with the hypno.

Also, thanks for your personal touches and experiences! I, too, have been carried out of bars (or kicked out) and have fallen over plenty of things - once down a snowy outside staircase at a keg party in college, and when I reached the bottom, I proceeded to make snow angels on my back - in front of a ton of people. My mom would be so proud! :H

lush - I agree with you that I can it or leave it, but when i do take it - I REALLY take it! :H And I'm glad you like the screen name. I really love Mary J. Blige and that song gives me lots of inspiration!

Well, wish me luck tonight! I have a holiday party with friends which I am sort of terrified of - when I am with my friends is really when I "let lose" and the "Bad Drama" seems to come out! I'll let you all know tomorrow how it goes.

And to all of you - thank you, thank you, thank you! People as kind as you deserve good things. Good luck with your recovery, too!

Hugs, :l

Drama

No More Drama!

Comment

Can't Go On Like This...

So far so good! It was so weird! I was sipping beer! Off a keg, no less! Something amazing is happening and I hope I don't screw it up. The holidays are around the corner so lots of chances to try out my new found skill of not getting wasted and acting like a total idiot!! Thanks everyone for all your words of encouragement!! Happy Holidays to all!

Drama :h

No More Drama!

Comment

Can't Go On Like This...

G'day Drama,

Welcome on board the AF train. Many of us are struggling as you do. A number of us also have family members that are/have been alcoholics, so our gene-pool is definitely affected by that very fact.

In any case, stick around. I'm sure the many friends will sustain you through your ups and downs of getting to AF town ...

Best
                  Paddy
                  Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Can't Go On Like This...

Welcome Drama!

Your insight is beyond your years, which is a definate plus for you as you move forward toward a new way of handling your drinking. I applaud you for wanting to change your behavior now, at such a young age, rather than decades later after more harm has been done to your body, relationships and spirit.

It is so exciting to think of what is ahead of you! We are glad you are here!

Merry Christmas & Hugs,

Best
                    "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

Can't Go On Like This...

Hello Drama
                      I'm just wondering how you are.

Comment

Can't Go On Like This...

No More Drama;74013 wrote: Just wanted to introduce myself. I am a 28 year old woman who is a problem drinker. SO MANY times I have said, "I am never drinking again." I'm sure we all have said this at some point, but I know I never really meant it.

I am one of those drinkers who can go from buzzed and "the life of the party" to incapacitated in seconds. I never see it coming. I get over confident and think that I can drink more when really I can't. I don't seem to have that "shut off" switch that everyone else has. And I get either violent or say things that are totally embarrasing or stupid or I get all emotional. Why do some people have this tendency while other people just mellow or are really drunk, but not embarrasing themselves? I just don't get it.

I'm here to turn over a new leaf, though. I am sick and tired of being the drunk loser. I don't drink every night or even every weekend, but when I do, I usually over do it. I'm hoping to try moderation and was successful this weekend in doing so, but I didn't leave the house. I am trying to embrace the concept of "sipping." Interesting, I never knew you could do that with wine!

My family and friends ask me why I drink like this when I have so much going for me? I'm not really sure. I am comfortable in social situations without a drink. A drink just makes things better. I used to feel like I was alone until I found this site. I was so scared. My over-drinking has caused many problems in my life including broken bones, lost cell phones and credit cards, lost friendships, and fighting with my boyfriend. I feel so ashamed the day after a bad night and it is definately affecting my self esteem. I beat myself up over it. I never looked for help until now because I thought AA was the only option, and "I don't drink every day!" I now realize it is more about what happens when you drink than how much you drink.

I may never know what causes me to drink the way that I do, but I do know that my life will be better because of moderation. If I can't do moderation, I will try abs. Anyway, just wanted to share a little bit about myself and to say thanks for being here and for telling your stories because you have given me hope.
                        I'm so glad I found your post today. I was on another site asking the same question. The way you drink is exactly the way I drink. I don't drink daily or even weekly sometimes. But when I do drink I get loaded (unintentionally) and say & do the most unbelievable things. I'm not myself at all. I just lost my boyfriend of 4 years over this. I'm heartbroken over my last relapse. He's never going to forgive the cruel things I said. Funny thing is, I woke up the next day thinking everything was fine, until I read his e-mail to me. He'd absolutely had enough. It didn't matter that I was trying to quit and it didn't "happen all the time", he was just done with it. And I don't blame him. Thank you for writing this. I'll be looking forward to seeing your future posts.

Comment

Can't Go On Like This...

Hi BostonLuv and welcome.
                          Am sorry your drinking is having such major repercussions on your life, but we`ve all been there. Am newly sober, thanks to this site and its supportive members.......you can overhaul your drinking too, if you`re willing to put your heart and soul into it.

I suggest you post in the Just Starting Out forum, where you will find a Newbies in Need thread where lots of members who have newly started out post. There are also lots of other forums where you may read and post.

I wish you love and luck.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Working...
                          X