A Saturday too close to Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOO TOO BUSY for Christmas to be soooooo close.

No time to post much but am ok. Gypsi, :l Becca:l Mkr :l

Love to all as always,:l Would have given everyone a personal hug but ran out!!
    Waves
    Enough is enough

Yeah Waves - too close and too much to do. On our way to get the tree this am. Hugs all around and more later - had a very good convo with husband last night!

Thinking of everyone - have a productive and peaceful day (if those two things can work together!)
    Hawk

Comment

Ditto, where did the year go......

Take care all

Love & hugs, Paula :l :h :l
      sigpicXXX

Comment

Yesterday, Fan said I sounded a bit tense. Righto. After getting the kitchen finished, I went into high gear decorating mode. You know how it is when you get that one thing new and then everything around it looks shabby? I started moving furniture and cleaning crap out of every shelf and drawer. Now, this is something I only do when I'm going into full on Martha/pottery barn mentality or when I'm in the last stages of pregnancy, which hasn't happened for quite a while. In the back of my mind, there were still all those finals and papers, but here I was, moving furniture. The good news is that I took my topa at around 4, and when I got to the headmaster's party, which was lovely by the way, I drank only three tiny glasses of chardonnay--you know the glasses that they give you in the restaurants where you know they're gipping you?--and I stopped completely and went home without even a buzz. What a change from last year, when I went home and had a conversation with my daughter-in-law about when her parents were going to come over, and she changed the time from 7 to 4, resulting in great embarrassment on my part when they showed up and I wasn't expecting them for three hours.

Well, bras. Judie, if it weren't for bras, lacy, black, red, whatever, I'd practically have to tie mine in a bow. Ya know, at my age, they just don't have the bounce they did when I was a kid. Or ever did. Sorry, Paul. Hate to wreck your online dreams of us. How many of us are really happy with the equipment we have been given? I'm curious. I guess I'm inspired by all the talk of Mack's nether equipment of the past week.

Since we can't drink our way through this season, let's try to find some peace on earth in thoughts of our crazy pals here. I carry you with me, all of you.

Sophie

Comment

Sophie...gosh...I bet you teach English! I missed that whole conversation on bras...
          Sorry Paul--Maidenform from Wal-Mart on a good day here....white..no lace.
          I'm actually a little bit giddy because school is OUT and now I have 9 days to actually chill and get things in order before Christmas. My main plan is to get some exercise. Let me tell you who can eat: Teachers!
          Lots of food these past couple of weeks. Lots of sugar for me...which I have realized a long time ago is a trigger for more wine in the evening. So being away from that environment will help and getting some much needed exercise in my white bra will help.
          I will do a bit more shopping but my kids are not getting any big electronics this year---as hubby has not been working full time and money is well...not there. It will be a good Christmas regardless and maybe we can remember that it's truly not about the gifts..
          some baking this week --sans the wine (daytime baking (I never drink during daytime baking)) and some movies with the kiddos.
          Love you and if I may be so bold to copy you Sophie...I carry you all with me as well (I love that!)
          sm-mary

Comment

Well I guess I 'll have to embarrass my niece & add those bras to her Christmas package... they didn't fit. I should know to stick with the good ol "wonder bra"... fits every time!
            Sm Mary, if you want to catch up on part of the "bra thing" from last night... there's a kinda funny post from late Friday...we are sooo easily amused... Oh well, "someones gotts do it!"
            Still not sure how my Mom managed to turn my questions on how to cook a whole 17 lb turkey... around into me cooking it for the family for Christmas dinner! She's good! I got a free one for shopping @ during Thanksgiving, I was thinking of just donating the darn thing,... as I've never cooked a whole turkey myself before. But I guess I'm gonna this year... we'll see! We might end up having cold cereal for Chistmas dinner!

Everyone have a great weekend, hugs & love to All!
            The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Let me start off by saying I could not be happier that Paul managed to find some bras for himself. Now I can sleep at night.

Tumadre, I noticed you posted on another thread today and realized you have not been around here lately. Hope all is well with you.

Good job Sophiah on the 3 "yes you are ripping me off" small glasses of wine. That is a great feeling to know you can had a little but did not overdo. I had to cringe over your story of not remembering the time change. I have had similar things happen and there is just no way to talk yourself out of it.

SM, exercise is a great goal to have for this hectic week. Lucky you to have some time off. I have to do Christmas cards tonight. Why is it so damn hard for me to do that every year? My least favorite part of the holidays actually.

Hawk, enjoy your tree decorating day.

Lost power again yesterday but am so grateful we had nothing major happen. So many people here in the Northwest will be without power for up to a week they are predicting. And so many people had their houses ruined from falling trees. Many things to be grateful for this morning.

Fan, Jen, Waves, MKR, Paula, Jude, Allie and all of the rest of you lovelies have a great Saturday. And Becca, way to go girl. I know you can do this.

Hugs to all!
              I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Christmas lunch

My mum announced to me today that I am cooking Christmas lunch and serving it in the conservatory. First, I need to book in with the Lusch school of cooking cos I can burn anything- even carrots! Second, the conservatory is full of items that my daughter has asked me to look after until she sells them,eg. washing machine, old pram, old cot etc. There's hardly room to swing a cat ( good job I only have a dog ) let alone entertain- could be a fun week!
                Enough is enough

Comment

Waves, I'll bring my 3 dogs & my cat along w/ the 17 lb turkey! Between the two of us, and all of the critters, we should be able to cook up quite a meal!:H

I'm sure Lush will be available to come over and help us out! Just in case we need a few "pointers"...LOL

Comment

Hi all!!
                    Just checking in with everyone. Still not getting the time that I want to for checking in everyday, but that'll come.

Judie, in all honesty, the absolute best way to cook turkey IMHO, is to deep-fry it. Spouse and I tried that about 5 years ago, and we'll never cook turkey any other way. Comes out so juicy; the downside to that is that you can't cook your dressing in it, and you don't have drippings for gravy, but oh well. Still the best way to have turkey

Doing ok. Back on the supps (mostly) so the drinking is going back down again. My biggest problem is that I'm not entirely sure that I want to cut down on the drinking. When I think about the fact that I could quite possibly be a widow before my 40th birthday in April, it just rips me apart. So, yes I'm doing the supps, albeit reluctantly at this point. He'll be done with his first round of chemo in mid-January, which gives him 2 weeks to get strong enough to travel to Mexico. I am so glad that I bought the trip before this whole mess started, otherwise I know he would refuse to even consider it. And I really need some good memories for after...

It's a bit chilly today (-24F), and of course the dark is here. Thank God for tanning salons :yay: Being a victim of SAD, I realized the value of tanning in the winter last year. It really does make a difference in my attitude.

Hope everyone has an awesome day. To those of you stressing out about the whole Christmas thing, you could always handle it like my husband and I are going to this year - we're going to a natural hot springs here in the area and just simply relaxing. No presents, no family drama. It'll be awesome!!
                    :teeter:

Comment

Gypsi, SOOOOO glad to hear from you. A trip to Mexico sounds perfect for the two of you. And quite the change from your current weather situation. It must be quite the challenge to live up there when you have SAD. I bet those tanning booth owners make a fortune. I am thankful you checked in.

Judie, I have heard that too about the deep frying turkey; that it is best way to go. It seems like a pain with all of the oil you need to buy, but I am considering doing it next year for Thanksgiving. I will gladly come help both you and Waves cook seeing as I have no other obligations this week.
                      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Christmas plans

Your Christmas plans sound lovely Gypsi. Glad you are making plans for the time that you have got. Love:h and hugs:l Waves
                        Enough is enough

Comment

Gypsi!!:l Sooo good to see you. Mexico does sound like a wonderful idea for the two of you, I'm glad to hear you have that coming up!
                          I've also heard that deep frying is a great way to cook turkey, unfortunately, all I have is one of those little "Fry Baby" deep fryers... don't think that'll do the trick...

I used to have a few favorite hot springs I frequented on a regular basis when I lived in my tree-house in Colorado. Sure miss going to those. Sounds great for Christmas, enjoy!:h
                          Peace & love

Oh and thank you so much looking forward to cooking w/ya Lush!

Comment

Gypsi--I'm so glad that you'll be getting to take that trip. You know...I'm reading all over the place on this board--haven't taken my 3 hour walk yet that I've promised myself I'd take today yet! and there's so much here!! So much wisdom...so much love...so MUCH!
                            We don't do turkey on Christmas---just each of us pick our favorite foods to have: Pizza/Rotel and cheese chips and dip/Junk...it will just be the four of us this year...no family visiting.
                            Okay---off to walking now! Love sm-mary

Comment

Sophie – Awesome job on the party and the decorating! You have to be pleased with that!!! I am happy for you. (And I am not happy with my “equipment” but I know few women who are….)

SM Mary – So glad you are getting a break and I know what you men on the sugar – total trigger for me too. Happy baking!

Fan – someday you’ll care about bras again. Enjoy the kiddos. You are blessed my friend. Blessed.

Gypsi – You sound amazing. You are so strong. I didn’t realize we were the same age and I cannot even begin to fathom what you are going through. You sound like you are in a good place and I for that I am grateful. You are a special lady and I hope he knows how lucky he is. Make the most of this holiday and enjoy it to the fullest. You continue to be in my heart.

Judie – You’ll do great on the turkey. I somehow get roped into making and hosting family dinners. My sister calls it “a rookie mistake.” She’s right, but I do enjoy it.

Lush – You’ll get the cards done….are you violently opposed to labels? Or running thru PC as a mail merge – it makes part of the task easier. Hope your power stays on.

Waves…at leats now you have company in the cooking dept!

If I can be selfish for a minute – here’s what happened last night. Backtrack…..This year has been a very hard one for me. I am 39. I’ll be 40 at the end of January. When husband and I married 2.5 years ago, I did not want kids. And neither did he – he is 16 years older than me. I left my marketing job in July 1005 simply because I just burned out. In my 16 years working, I never took more than 4 days off at a time (till the wedding). Anyway, we were on same page about kids – and he was really adamant. So this year, I have been wanting a child. Its ripped me apart because I felt like I could never talk about with him. Last night it all came out – at dinner – through a river of tears (people probably thought we were getting divorced). Anyway, he was not opposed. He was more upset that I held this in and tormented myself for so long and would entertain the idea if I really want. Truly, today, I have had so much peace just having told him. I may decide no, but I cannot explain the relief I feel. Why the hell do we keep so many secrets?

Sorry to rant………

Lush – Tree is up!
                              Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X