Shantaram....the best book!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mornin'....just thought I'd biff in my two pennorth...Have any of you ever read Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts???
    It is the true story of a heroin addict who gets charged with armed robbery and put inside a maximum security prison in OZ....he escapes, and using a false passport, ands up in Mumbai. He meets Prabakar, a taxi driver and a number of others and starts a new life while on the run.
    He moves into the slums and, using first aid he learnt to help other addicts out of od, becomes the slum doctor...he then, through a woman he meets, is introduced to the Bombay mafia, and starts work for Khaderbai, a journey which see's him going through the type of experiences I could never dream of.
    The novel is a beautifully written tale of a very troubled and deep thinking man, who, you come to love very much....he battles with demons, his unhappy relationship with his father, and the constant memory of the wife and daughter he lost through his addiction, but his search for meaning, to find sense in the jumble that his life has become through discussion with new friends and mentors, is one that I have read many times...everyone who I have recommended this to has been unable to put it down...I have been on Gregs website, and he now has been cigs, drink and heroin clean for 10 years after being re captured and serving the rest of his sentence...he writes and gives world wide seminars which I shall definitely be booking in for when he comes to NZ...Go on, even if it doesn't sound quite like your thing, give it a go, it is an easy read as Greg gives so much of himself on every page.....it is truly inspirational.... Melon

hey...thanks, I'll take a look.
    lisa

Comment

Yeah looks interesting. Thanks
      "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Thanks sounds good. I,'ve been looking for a inspirational book ..wil take a look

Comment

Weemelon, just started this, can't put it down ....... Thanks .........
          sigpicXXX

Comment

Was just thinking that I needed to be in the market for a good read. Thanks Weemelon, I'll check it out!
            Learning to live life on the outside of a bottle. :flower:

Comment

Working...
            X