Capitalize on your circumstances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was talking with a good friend of mine last night because I was feeling a little blue about being single at the holidays. He is single too, yet I’ve never known him to be depressed or unhappy about it. “I don’t have to be single,” I said. “It just seems that I keep choosing the harder, lonelier way of life.” I went on to say how people in relationships have things so much easier because they have love and support, and don’t have to handle life’s burdens alone. (Yes, I was having a little pity party.) He said, “You and I both know tons of married people, gay and straight, who are desperately unhappy. Being in a relationship is not the answer. What you have to do is capitalize on your circumstances.”

Now this is a very practical guy – a mathematician, in fact, and a financial guru. But what he said, and went on to explain in more detail, made a lot of sense. Instead of sitting around moping about how I don’t have someone or how I feel lonely, I can capitalize on what I do have: I have freedom to come and go as I please, so that allows me to travel, go out with friends, keep whatever schedule I want, make decisions on a whim, etc. I can go out and spend money if I want, or invest it any way I choose, without consulting anyone. Many married folks would envy that freedom. I can also build friendships in a way that most married people don’t. (It’s not that they can’t; it’s just that once most people are married, they just stop building friendships because their lives become full with their primary relationship.) So I’m sure there are many married people who are feeling trapped and bored in their relationships, wishing they had some freedom and excitement in their lives, and they could use the same advice: capitalize on your circumstances, DUDE.

It’s like the old adage says, “The grass is always greener….” But it’s not. It’s equally green wherever you go.

What does this have to do with drinking? Hmmm….. quite a lot, actually. For me, I drank because I was unhappy with life, I was bored, I was lonely. I never learned the lesson my friend seemed to know from birth. I never knew how to capitalize on my circumstances. I’ve spent most of my life wishing I was in some place other than where I was, or in a different job, or in a different relationship status. When I was young, I wanted to be older. When I was in school I wanted to be out working. When I got into the job market I wished I was back in school. YIKES – it’s enough to drive a man to drink!

And guess what? If I simply remove alcohol from my life and don’t fix the underlying problems, one of two things will happen. One: I eventually go back to drinking because I am really screwed up and can’t take it any more. Or two: I get bitter and angry and go through life hating everything, not enjoying any of my experiences because I’m always wanting something different. That doesn’t sound like much fun. I might as well be drunk. In AA they call this a “dry drunk.”

The alternative is much better, and this is my goal in sobriety. I’m attempting this through introspection, through meditation, through exercise and through journaling: I learn how to live in the present, enjoy what’s going on around me, and see just how green the grass is right underneath my own two feet. I can walk wherever I want to, but the grass stays green wherever I go. In other words, I capitalize on my circumstances. It’s very much a work in progress but at least my friend helped me put my goal into focus for me. Thanks, Tony.

~ Mike
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Thanks Mike. I needed to read that this morning....
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Erma Bombeck always said
      "The grass is ALWAYS greener over a septic tank"!

We ALL know what that tank is full of!!!
      Don't envy the green looking grass!!

Nancy
      "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

the best moment of my life

The best moment of my life is "right now". I have had this wisdom presented to me in the past, but I could never seem to incorporate it if I was hungover. Since yesterday at this time I have gotten more hugs and kisses from my kids, my husband has added to the number of times he has told me that he loves me, I have a piece of wisdom that I didn't have yesterday, I did something nice for someone today and I have added another day of sobriety. So right now this moment is the best moment of my life. The present is the only thing that we can truly enjoy. The past is a memory and the future is a dream--right now is what matters.

Comment

Morning Mike,
          Well it is here and your post was a wonderful start to the day.
          We should have "Morning's with Mike" everyday....they make me fell good
          Love
          Victoria xxooxxoo

Comment

I believe in the "dry drunk" phenonema as I have lived it the past 19 months of my life. I have been "abstinent" much of this time with slips, relapses, crashes happening about every 30- 60 days. I'd get into that time frame and think...What's the point???? Why bother?? I didn't address the stuff going on inside of me that needed fixing at all. I'm taking things really slowly, but unlike other attempts, this time days are flying by. I am enjoying each minute I have sober. I make a gratitude list every morning to remind me to stay in the moment and keep my head in the here and now...stop seeking happiness elsewhere. I have all I need right here. Right in front of my face.

Comment

Hey Mike:

Absolutely, totally, 100% correcta-mundo!!

I have found I can do the supplements, and the exercise, and the hypnosis or the meditation, and any other external input, and it helps. It helps quash the cravings from the outside.

But the real work. The work that really makes the internal change, is the core beliefs and perceptions. Those internal dialogues, and emotions, and responses to the world we generate by being our human selves.

I have written a few times about my own realizations, that hacking through my psyche with a machete (and it is often emotionally painful), is the root work of this abstinence thing. It is the searching of where the seeds of our being reside. What germinated my overall view of the world I have today? Why am I so dissatisfied with X, Y, or Z? Why does A, B, or C enamour me, and not others?

I knew early on, that this was a key piece of the puzzle to explain why I drank like I did. I knew part of it was bio-chemistry, but not 100%. I could feel that from previous attempts at sobriety. I knew straining with white knuckles, and so-called "wilpower" alone would only take me so far.

Taking a cue from Freud, Jung, Menninger, and others of the psychological sciences, I began the hardest work of all. The disassembly of the self. Even after a year, I only have one or two of a thousand pieces even halfway put together. This one will take the rest of my natural life I think sometimes. But it is the good work. It truly is the RIGHT work.

A great post Mike!!

Neil

edit: Here is a link to the Wikipedia entry on COGNITIVE Therapy. Is is that branch that deals with depression, addictions, and behavior modification. You can go further from here if you wish.

Cognitive therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for YOUR posts. You are the reason I come here...

Hello Lush -- glad you got something out of what I shared. Hope you're doing well today.

Nancy I LOVE that quote! I always loved Erma Bombeck. I gave my mom one of her books for Christmas one year.

Kim, your description of the present sounds wonderful for both you and your family... I am sure they would agree.

And Victoria, "Mornings with Mike" sounds great to me too. I just enjoy coming here and sharing what I'm learning with you -- people who are going through the same struggles that I am. We are all in this thing together. I gain strength from you too.

Gina it is so good to hear that this time around is different for you... it's true that everything we need is right in front of us! It's an easy thing to say but also easy to forget.

And Neil, thanks so much for your post. I think that some people forget about the biochemical aspect of the disease. Others forget about the psychological part. But like you I have to remember that it is BOTH. I can't succeed unless I address both of them. I'm going to go check out that link.

~ Mike
                "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Thank you Mike for your thought provoking and inspiring post. Everytime I read one of your posts, I feel SO lucky that we have you around. I always know when its a post from Mike, that it will be a good post.
                  What is interesting to me in particular, is that I have heard of this phenomenon of the "dry drunk" but never understood what it was. Now I have a better idea. I guess the point is that we should be not only trying not to drink, but also addressing what made us drink in the first place, and living in the here and now. Does the dry drunk refer to living outside of yourself (looking for something else constantly) or this general phenomenon of not addressing internal issues? Or is it both? I am curious because I have been interested in this for a while.
                  Love all
                  Jen
                  Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Hi Jen,

You know, I just feel lucky to BE here and be sober, and lucky to have all of you as well.

My understanding of the term "dry drunk" is that it's a person who has stopped drinking, but hasn't gone through the healing process of recovery and addressed the underlying issues related to drinking. They may be abstinent, but they haven't really changed the way they view life, relate to others, see themselves, solve problems, etc. I used to think this was a myth.... if you were successful at quitting drinking, then you had solved your problem. But now that I've gotten a better understanding of addiction, I can see that this phenomenon really does exist. You might be able to abstain, even for a very long time, without solving the problems that caused you to drink or use in the first place. But you will be a very unhappy person (and so will those around you) and you'll likely find some other unhealthy behaviors to take the place of the original one. That's just what I see... I'm not a professional here, but I don't see how you can have real "recovery" without solving the underlying issues.

Good to "see" you Jen!

Mike

Comment

I was doing some more thinking about this issue, and I came up with a "thought" experiment.

I have written a few times, about how I have separated my psyche into three classic elements. I call them sober Neil, drinking Neil, and child Neil. They are pretty clear cut in my mind, and from some of the responses on this forum, a fairly identifiable metaphor to others.

Here is the scenario. The three of you get into your car. In my case, drinking Neil gets into the drivers seat. Sober Neil sits in the passenger seat, and child Neil sits in the back seat. Same with you, and your psychological counter-parts getting into your car.

Drinking Neil takes off, and starts driving very erratically. He thinks he is OK to drive, but takes it a little slower than usual, but is weaving around almost hitting other cars. Sober Neil is yelling and outraged, and keeps trying to take the keys out of the ignition at the right moment. Child Neil is sitting in the back crying and screaming because he is scared out of his wits.

What to do, what to do? This thought experiment is a cognitive realization for me. Thinking back on all those times I drove home from a bar, I wonder how I am able to sit here in one piece. It was just plain not sane or wise. I see that now with great clarity.

This is what scares me even now. A relapse like Mel Gibson had after years of abstinence. Stopped for drinking and driving. We read the stories all the time. The drinking element of the psyche seems to believe that drinking and driving is OK. I have associates, with DWI convictions, who still commit the crime on a daily basis. I was lucky, in that I never got caught.

Completely knowing, at the core, that drinking and driving is a dangerous, stupid, and insane activity must be apparent at all levels. It must be made apparent to all levels of the psyche, that this is not acceptable under any conditions whatsoever. It must become a basic perception.

I know this is a gross simplification, but it I think it illustrates my point on the issue.

Neil

edit: one further thought. Sober Neil at the wheel, child Neil in the backseat in a top notch child seat, and drinking Neil asleep locked in the trunk!!

Comment

ok to return sometimes?

hi all.

I have so much to do today i decided to come here!!!! (know the feeling?) I"ve just read a few of the recent posts and I see there are some new people here which is just great news.. and hi to anyone who knows me.

Neil, I"m compelled to say stuff about this. I know exactly what you are talking about. The fear of relapse.. or what i call unconsciousness grips me. My wish is to strengthen sober Brigid. Sober Brigid is still young and developing and feels very much adolescent and in that way, capable or erratic hormonal decisions. But adolescents are capable of great wisdom and insight also.. and it is that side of sober Brigid that I need to keep developing... but more than that, my program must ENSURE her growth. That is the only way that this can stay conscious (to me).

And luck. Wow, I didnt realise till I got sober how lucky I actually am. The world is a fascinating place, in which I can grow and I can love.. how amasing is that.

I think this is a lifelong journey.

Mike, as the others say.. you DO have a way with words... Kim, Gina.. hi.

Brigid

Comment

Hi Brigid!

Hi Brigid,
                          We haven't met as I started in here after you had signed off... but it's good to see you checking back in and sharing your thoughts. I hope, someday too, to be able to step away from my focus here and take in a wider longer view forward. However, I so so so appreciate Neil and Mike for sticking around and giving their support and spirit. They are both so vivid and eloquent with the written word that their posts stay with me for a long time! And all the others too. Anyway ATT, just wanted to say hello and to let you know it's always nice to hear from you. (I lurked a long time before jumping in, so I read your posts when you were actively posting) And, congratulations for the being the first (that I know of) in the group to break the one-year finish line ribbon. It's been great cheering you on. I'm closer to the starting line, but I'm behind you!!
                          take care, Olly

Comment

Working...
                          X