hope to join you soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hope to join you soon

To Mike, Ollie, Neil, Loise, etc. I just wanted to say - I am so inspired by all of your posts on this board - they really give me hope and a reason to continue. Unfortunately, I cannot call myself a long term abstainer - or even an abstainer - but I so hope to join you soon. This time around, I feel so different - before, I wanted to be able to manage my alcohol consumption and do some degree was successful, but not always. Lately, I find it so hard to do and mentally draining. I just don't want it in my life anymore - it's poison to me, no matter what quantity is consumed! I will keep reading - samadhi:h

hope to join you soon

Hello Samadhi, A thousand welcomes to you......Moderation just wasn't an option for me as I am all or nothing, as I proved time and again when I drank.....You say, lately you find moderating your drinking hard to do and it's mentally draining, well just think of the feeling of relief and freedom you could have if you decide to abstain, all the new things just waiting for you to do, no more feeling mentally drained or angry with yourself, no more thinking about, what time will I have my first drink?.....how many glasses will I drink tonight?......You have already made the first step, now make the next one, and the one after that, and before you know it, you will be running towards that new life which is filled with FREEDOM.

Keep reading and posting because YOU are IMPORTANT,

Love Louise xxx
    A F F L..
    Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

hope to join you soon

Yes -- WELCOME Samadhi, and well said Louise.

I, too, thought that I could do moderation and I tried a thousand different ways to make it work. It wasn't until I let go of that hope that I was able to succeed... Wait a minute let me re-phrase that. It wasn't hope at all, it was fantasy, pure and simple. See how powerful language is? I was fooling myself and it wasn't until I faced the fact that I simply could not drink and accepted that fact that I was able to find freedom. Trying to moderate is like the story of the boy putting his finger in the leaking dike. When I thought I had the problem solved in one spot, I'd spring a leak somewhere else. I was running all over the place trying to "manage" the problem and it just never got any better... in fact, it grew progressively worse.

Louise is right: you've taken a big step already and you're on the path whether you realize it or not. Keep on walking and you'll be with us before you know it. Making up your mind is the hard part... the rest is relatively easy.

Be well~

Mike
      "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

hope to join you soon

Hi samadhi:

First of all, I love your forum name. For those who are not familiar with the eastern philosophies and religions, "samadhi" is that state of perfect being. It is the attainment of perfect enlightenment, and oneness with the universe. I think I referenced that book, "Autobiography of a Yogi" in my brain waves thread over in holistic, and gosh, it's been so many years since I read that. Maybe 30 years now.

Anyway, welcome to you!

I see some posters think they don't have the "right" to post in long term, if they are still drinking, or only a few days sober, or whatever. Hogwash!!

It is my view, that this section is geared to support anyone who wants to abstain for the long haul. I tend to post here more than other sections, because I feel that the things I can offer, fit here best. This is a worldwide access public forum. I feel that we are here to discuss, and support each other in a quest to heal and recover from our past abuses.

So anyone who wants to join in with this group, please do so! This is RJ's forum and website, and I don't think there are any restrictions based on how long you have been off the bottle, or any other requirement.

There are indeed, some hard core issues discussed here often. They are those things that come up when an individual is going for the marathon run. They are often times psychological in nature, and spiritual as well. It is all about healing, and recovering, and supporting each others efforts in that regard.

Please, do not feel intimidated just because some members here have logged some "road miles" without the juice. It's not about that at all. It is about sharing those things, that help us down that road.

Even if you are three sheets to wind right now, and you want to stop, this section is a great place to learn about how we do that. Even if you are only one day sober, and you want to make it to 2 days, you are most welcome here in my eyes.

Like I said above, this is RJ's forum. She divided it up like this for a reason, so that information and help could be partitioned a bit, in a way that makes it easier for us to reach our goals.

Again, welcome on in!

Neil

Comment

hope to join you soon

Thanks so much for the support! You all really make me feel welcome and I so appreciate that. I'm getting ready to go out of town and won't have computer access until after the New Year. I wish everyone reading a peaceful holiday and a great start for a happy , healthy New Year. May all your hopes and dreams for your life materialize and you attain the peace of mind that is ultimately what we are striving for. > :h much love, samadhi

Comment

hope to join you soon

Hi folks, and welcome samadhi,

I stopped drinking last Friday, but I am a future long-term abstainer so I feel OK about posting here. I had been moderating for a few weeks, but I decided just to go the whole hog. Unbelievably, I have already stopped looking at the week as a race to Friday....drink day. I can think about other stuff and I don't feel as if I am undergoing some sort of self-imposed punishment. I am calmer than I thought I would be too. I truely feel like a different person.
            There is so much wisdom and help hereand you guys are great. I thank you for everything

Comment

hope to join you soon

Welcome Samadhi! Have a wonderful holiday, we'll be here when you get back!
              Namaste!
              Di

Comment

hope to join you soon

Hey Paul, and everyone else:

Just to clarify, you are already a "Long Term Abstainer" as long as that is your goal! You get to define yourself that way. There's no requirement for sober time.... this is just a forum for discussion of topics related to long term abstinence. So -- you are already one of "us."

Take care, be well, and happy holidays!

~ Mike
                "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Working...
                X