Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

August Modders

Happy August, Modders!
    4 me, the supps really helped a lot. Actually, over time they did. 5 htp really put back the serotonin in my brain ( I know, fuzzy science) and now alcohol doesn't even taste good to me. But never ever have alcohol and 5 htp together if you do that! I think the book MWO was great but also Julia Ross books for even more supplement advice.
    You are off to a great start!

August Modders

Hi Modders

Things are going VERY well in my neck of the woods. I have been on the Paleo/Primal Blueprint 'diet' (though it's not a 'diet' as such, more a lifestyle) for a week now and have lost 4lb already. Have been eating a lot and never feeling deprived, have good energy, am in good spirits and my moods feel a lot more stable already.

Something I noticed almost immediately was a disappearance of alcohol cravings!! As per my mod plan, I don't drink alone and I don't have any at the house but I do sometimes have an AF beer. Usually when I have them I will drink 2-3 and there is some desire there to have that specifically, as opposed to another AF drink. Over the weekend, I had 1AF beer both nights and then stopped. It wasn't even really conscious - I remember thinking I would have a second one and then basically forgetting about it and getting some water! This is new and great.

Last night another great success. My bloke came over for supper and we bought a bottle of wine to share. I started to look forward to having some as soon as we had bought it (which is funny as, up to that point, I hadn't been bothered about it). I had my 3 glasses max, really enjoyed them. Boyfriend didn't want all of 'his' half but I didn't even ask if I could have just one more glass. The cork went back in and the rest of the bottle has gone away with him this morning!

I am stoked that so far, this is really working out. I have high hopes this is totally sustainable. It's making me happy and that's motivating in itself.
    Have a wonderful day all.

Bean

Comment

August Modders

What book are you using? Because I want to get it!

Comment

August Modders

I bought 'The Paleo Diet Cookbook' by Loren Cordain because I wanted some new recipe ideas and I have spent a lot of time reading on Mark's Daily Apple which follows the Primal Blueprint - essentially the same but a few different principles too.

Are you going to start it?

Bean

Comment

August Modders

I think so. Do you have more energy now? I always want more energy.

Comment

August Modders

Lila, I wil check out the Julia Ross book, thanks for the tip. Did you stay af for 30 days before modding?

Bean, the paleo diet sounds interesting. Wow, four pounds in a week is great.

I still need to order the cd's and check into supplements. I am really not having that hard of a time not drinking. Only when I get off work I think about it. Must be the stress!

Have a good night.

Comment

August Modders

hi 4me
              I did ten days had a drink, then the next night I had another drink, (and that seemed plenty!) and then I had my 5 thp/alcohol reaction, and now I don't even want any alcohol. So I am not counting the days. Now that feels like just another chore I am not doing! Last time I had a beer it tasted horrible! I am not sure what all happened, but I am happy. Two weeks ago, I couldn't imagine life without alcohol and now it is not even appealing.
              I know all about stress! That was of course my biggest trigger, and boredom! When my kids would go to their dad's I wouldn't know what to do with myself!
              good night, modders!
              L

Comment

August Modders

Dropping by to say hi, arrived safely at our retirement home last night. Was not AF during 1700 mile trip but very much in control per plan. Think Aug plan for me will be like July with the 10 days allowed but count starts from today.
                Welcome to 4me, have just skimmed everyone's posts, will be back later.
                TMH
                The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

August Modders

TMH, are there palm trees? Lemon and lime trees? Sounds so exciting. I could see myself retiring there someday....

Comment

August Modders

Hi TMH - was wondering where you'd got to! Glad to hear you arrived safely. Let the next stage begin!!

Lila - I do have more energy (I think) from following the Paleo diet but I already ate very healthily apart from the toast, crackers and pasta. I was eating gluten free rice pasta (because I thought it was better for me), hadn't really had potatoes in a long time (apart from sweet or yams which are allowed) and am not a big junk food eater. In recent years my biggest energy zapper has been AL but now that I am consuming moderate amounts, I am not finding that a problem.

Today I worked cleaning for 4.5 hours, took care of a 4 year old for 3 hours, then worked at a 2nd job where I am on my feet constantly for 3 hours - all without any break. I had an omelette this morning and a tuna salad for lunch and that was it so yes, thinking about it, I must have more energy because I certainly burnt off a lot today!!

New Day Now - are you there? Shanny? Any one else lurking? 4me....what's happening with you? have you finished the book yet? Decided what your plan is?

Bean

Comment

August Modders

Hi Bean, yes, I finished the book. I am in the early stage, yikes. Af for 4 days. I still think I may mod, it doesn't seem that hard now that I am doing it. I think it is more of a habit witth me than anything. No plan yet, haven't had time.

Lila, I have taken 5htp for a heriditary tremor disorder I have and drank wine with it. It didn't do anything to me. Wish it had. I guess we all have to find what works for us.

2myhealth, wow, retirement, that must be wonderful. I am 53 and my retirement plan is a cardboard box under the bridge or work until I die, I chose the later. LOL

Have a good night all.

Comment

August Modders

Good day! Absolutely love being here. Bought our condo in 12/08 and started having mini vacations here. I retired the first time when I was 55, then worked for my son (financial advisor) PT for 7 yrs and retired for 2nd time 03/11. Since I worked from home I chose home to be FL rather than the cold, snowy midwest. Dh just retired last Fri - seems surreal to be here with him.

Bean - congrats on 4# gone & modding! 4 days sat on my arse riding or driving, wt was way up yest, 3# off this am. Body has to move.

Lily - you are doing great! Palm trees right outside our window but am happy development left big oak trees too. Up by the main fitness center there are grapefruit trees.

4me - you sound like my younger sister re: work. Dh is 66 tomorrow; I'll be 63 mid month. What can I say - we had/have a good financial planner! LOL

Lila mentioned energy. That is exactly what I lose when I'm drinking daily. Friday night is Happy Hour here. Now I know this is going to be part of my life down here and when I did my 14 AF days I skipped 1st week and went up for Happy Hour & dinner flwg week, drank NA beer, and had a great time! Plan tonite: 1st drink will be Diet tonic w/lime, then 1-2 wines there and none when we get home.
                        Hope you all have a great Friday whether your choice is AF or to mod!
                        TMH

Comment

August Modders

Happy Saturday, Yesterday was day 5 AF, but I didn't make it. Had three glasses of wine after work. I am going on sort of a vacation with my husband on the 15 and will finally have time to work on my plan, I am pretty sure I am going to mod at this point.

Tomyhealth, glad your having such a great time! If the real estate market ever turns around maybe I'll get there!

Have a great day everyone!

Comment

August Modders

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Comment

August Modders

How is everyone? Sat was dh b.d., we played golf, had a nice filet mignon dinner and yes, we had some wine. Not too much, up early on Sunday and went to church. Went for a short run in afternoon.

Bean - you asked about when my modding hasn't worked. It was easier when I was by myself (I was staying in our retirement home while dh was still working). Part of our lifestyle has always been to have a couple glasses of wine while we talk about our day, then dinner. Many days that was it; many days we ended up drinking a large bottle. After going AF for awhile, then modding, I found dh topping off my glass. It's all his fault! Kidding....... I've asked him not to do that and have literally gone back to setting timer for an hour. But admit this first week of August has not been good in that we've cont'd the retirement/moving/b.d. celebrations and today it's time to get serious and give this bod a rest.

4me - are you in AF time now? Do you plan to mod while on vaca?

Off to the Fitness Center to workout. Have a good start of the week everyone - for me it will be AF.

Comment

Working...
                              X