Dublin v tyrone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dublin v tyrone

Dublin and Tyrone renew hostilities at Croke Park with the Dubs looking to make it a clean sweep for provincial champions in this year's All-Ireland quarter-finals.

There was consternation last year when Kerry, Tyrone, Roscommon and Meath all failed to build on their provincial successes and crashed out at the last eight stage.

It was argued by many that the defeats proved that the gap between provincial finals and the quarter-finals put those sides with silverware at a significant disadvantage. While the Championship calendar does need to be looked at, a win for Dublin on Saturday would suggest that there is not all that much wrong with it.

Tyrone have made an unusually unassuming march through the qualifiers following their Ulster semi-final loss to Donegal. They made light work of a difficult trip to Longford before having two goals to spare over Armagh.

And their 11-point win over Roscommon last Saturday went largely under the radar due to the gripping nature of Donegal's victory against Kildare in the following game at Headquarters.

The Red Hands have struggled with injuries this summer but the youngsters Mickey Harte has brought in have performed admirably and have brought a fresh look to their line-up.

It was strange to see a Tyrone side named without Ryan McMenamin in it, but the feisty defender makes way for Justin McMahon. Harte has used his squad wisely this summer and there's little doubt 'Ricey' will make an appearance at some stage.

Martin Penrose has been given the nod ahead of Tommy McGuigan in attack but the biggest selection surprise sees Owen Mulligan replace Kyle Coney at corner-forward.

Coney has been having a fine breakthrough summer and it was only a couple of weeks ago that Mulligan had opted off the panel due to a lack of game time only to be subsequently coaxed back into the fold.

Dublin's XV sees only one change as Cian O'Sullivan replaces Paul Conlon at corner-back. The two glaring omissions are midfielder Michael Darragh MacAuley and corner-back Philly McMahon, with both players struggling with finger and knee injuries respectively.

Eoghan O'Gara's goal proved crucial in last year's quarter-final meeting between the two sides, but the Templeogue Synge Street clubman has failed to hit similar heights so far this year and can consider himself fortunate to retain his place.

Dublin were given a decent test by Wexford in the Leinster final, and they struggled at midfield. Denis Bastick and Eamon Fennell will start in the engine room again, but they will need to up their performances considerably against Kevin Hughes and Sean Cavanagh. The latter was back to his rampaging best against Roscommon, as he hit 2-03 and was unlucky not to land a hat-trick of goals.

A lot has been said about Dublin's over-reliance on the Brogans (Alan and Bernard) for scores but the big fear for Dublin supporters is how their side will manage to supply their forward line.

UP THE DUBS

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Dublin v tyrone

RT? Sport: GAA - Dublin 0-22 Tyrone 0-15

Yippie :-)

Comment

Dublin v tyrone

One way traffic, Mario. Could we have a renewal of the great rivals Dublin & Kerry in the final I wonder?
      Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Dublin v tyrone

Well first we have to beat donegal and kerry have to beat mayo, I dont reall mind who we meet in the final,I would like to see mayo in it.have relations from across that way,well thats my excuse.

Comment

Dublin v tyrone

mario;1159599 wrote: Well first we have to beat donegal and kerry have to beat mayo, I dont reall mind who we meet in the final,I would like to see mayo in it.have relations from across that way,well thats my excuse.
          Hi Mario and Ktab,

I'm going for Mayo, as i have relations there from wayback also.

Best of luck!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Dublin v tyrone

well done Dublin, i'll have to for Mayo also ( i live there/here )
            AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

Working...
            X