The Holidays are Here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Holidays are Here!

Well, I don't know how it happened, but Christmas is just two days away. Who forgot to put THAT on my calendar? We started talking a couple of months back about how we were going to deal with the holidays without alcohol, with all the parties, and stress, and family get-togethers, etc. How's everyone doing?

I am flying out in a few hours to spend 10 (11?) days at my mom's house in suburban Memphis. My sister and her 3 kids just moved in with my mom a couple of weeks ago, so it's going to be a very busy setting. In years past I've had drinks with all the adults, but of course that's not going to be the case this year. A couple of months ago I was worried about this. Even a few weeks ago I wasn't sure how I was going to handle it. I wrote my sister a letter explaining about my problem, about MWO and how I wasn't going to drink during the holidays. She wrote me back and said how proud of me she was, and how she would help do whatever she could to make the time easier for me. My mom and I haven't had "The Talk" yet, but we will when I'm there. (The dynamics with my mom are different, so I just decided to tell her I've quit drinking when I get there.)

Somehow, over the last couple of weeks, I've just realized that I don't have anxiety any more about drinking while I'm there. Hopefully this is a good sign, and I'm not being overconfident. I just don't have a desire to drink, and I cannot imagine putting that sh%t in my body. It's as foreign a concept to me at this point as drinking lighter fluid.

Don't get me wrong: I know I'm an alcoholic and I know there's always a danger of my changing my mind, especially in certain environments. So I'm taking precautions. I've seen my doctor and temporarily upped my dose of topa from 200 to 250 mg, and will go up to 300 within a couple more days if I feel the slightest cravings. I'm going to take my laptop and find an internet cafe or coffee house so I can stay on board with MWO daily while I'm there. I will go to an AA meeting if I feel the need. If I have to, I will go stay in a hotel and just "visit" with the family.

I don't expect I'll have to go to such drastic measures, but I have the plan in place if necessary. My focus while I'm there is going to be mainly on spending time with my nieces and nephew. Since I only see them once a year, they change a lot in between visits and I cherish the time I get with them. And I know my mom and sister love me and wouldn't want me to do anything to hurt myself.... I just need to watch out that I don't start playing any head games on my own.

So -- I'm off to do laundry and pack, so wish me luck. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and a happy, healthy and sober new year.

Love and peace to you,

Mike
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

The Holidays are Here!

Hi Mike,
    Sounds like you have the contingencie plans all in place' you must have been a boy scout .
    I will be thinking of you and please keep us posted on how its all going.
    I hope you have a fabulous time with your family.
    Merry Christmas, Mike.
    Your posts have been an inspiration to me these last couple of months.I thank you.
    Love
    Victoria xoxoxoxox

Comment

The Holidays are Here!

What Victoria said
      And a merry and joyful Christmas to you both

Comment

The Holidays are Here!

Mike, having read your post, you are so well prepared, and aware, that you will be fine. So, go and have fun with your family, but don't forget you have a very large family here waiting for your return.

Have a Peaceful Christmas,

Love Louise xxx
        A F F L..
        Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

The Holidays are Here!

merry xmas mike
          i hope all the best for you
          you are a wonderful poster and you have helped many people on this board with your great insights and wisdom
          happy new year as well

Comment

The Holidays are Here!

Hi everybody!
            Mike, be sure to take a bunch of goofy pictures with the kids and the adults which reminds me I better make sure to get some fun snapshots too.

This work week was a bugger I finished up work late last night most days were 12-14 hours. I'm very proud of myself for not thinking I deserved a drink each night. The work stress and not being prepared for the holidays would have normally sent me right into the arms the dreaded bottle. I've been busy today taking care of my holiday errands.

Right now I'm feeling a bit anxious and jittery. I know it's because of the holidays normally I would be... well you know something about sheets and wind. I haven't felt this way since I stopped drinking the strange thing is that I don't feel like l'm tempted to drink. I guess it's just foreign behavior for this time of the year and I just need to go with the flow. It sure helps coming here and knowing you are all here with me. One thing I need to do is get some exercise I've been too busy all week so I'll do that and clean up the house a bit.

We need to stay tight with each other because these next few weeks are loaded with triggers we don't even know about!

My best to you all!
            spacie

Comment

The Holidays are Here!

Thanks everyone --

Yes Spacie, you are right, we are all here for each other. Like Louise said, we are a family here.

Mike

P.S. I'm on a layover in the Seattle airport! Drinking coffee, just a few yards from a pub.
              "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

The Holidays are Here!

Mike dearheart...have a wonderful time with the family...your sister sounds VERY supportive, and I hope the chat with mum is as gently received....you deserve to have an emotionally cushioned time, as I have been lying on a big fat beanbag of contentment often enough after reading your many wonderful, insightful posts....I still look at the counting your blessings one, and I'm afraid your two paths have been hijacked by a highwaymelon......Much love to you Mike...have another sip of coffee...safe flight.......The thankfulforalaskansmelon xxx

Comment

The Holidays are Here!

I agree with yo Mike about the importance of having a plan. This sobriety stuff can really be threatened when we least expect it. We have to cognitively put ourselves into the situation ahead of time, thinking of how we reacted in the past, and change those actions. I have NO doubt you will do just fine!! I hope you have a wonderful vacation! I can't wait to hear all about it!
                  My plans? Tonight, we are going to 5 pm mass at our church. My 5 yo will be a shepherd. I think the church is trying to 'save' him!:H I got the call about 2 weeks ago, asking if Aaron would like to participate. I figured that they were asking his entire Kindergarten class of 36 kids. Well, I went to the rehearsal the other night and there were only 3 shepherds, 5 angels, Mary and Joseph. That's it! Don't know WHY we were asked. Believe me, I feel like the biggest flunky Catholic around! I don't even receive communion anymore. I am learning not to question things like this....just accept and let be. Cool! He looks SO adorable in his costume! We even get reserved seats in the 5th pew!! After mass, we'll head over to my mom's house. Tomorrow, home with the kids in the am, then to my dad's house in the afternoon. My husband's parents live in Vegas, so we will see them later this week when they come out for a visit. Can't think of any triggers really in these situations, other than the church thing. Will work on that and pray.
                  Wishing all of us a happy and MEMORABLE holiday season!! :h :l :goodjob:

Comment

The Holidays are Here!

Hi Mike,

I'm sending good vibes to Memphis. You sound like you have a good plan if you feel yourself start to waver, and I have a lot of faith in you. I'm beaming them out right now. They're in the universe with your name on them.

Merry Christmas, love!

XOXOX,

Kathy:l
                    AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

The Holidays are Here!

Merry Christmas to you, too, Gina!

Hugs,

Kathy:l
                      AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

The Holidays are Here!

it's christmas day. i thought i'd have a drink today and tomorrow and then - but it's time. i can't go on like this. managing a few weeks and then falling again, it is draining, and tiring and worrying. i have a great family, who don't really know about this, but i think my daughter is catching on. she doesn't deserve this. the most i've done is 10weeks, in 2006. i'm worried about letting go, because of dealing with the cravings and then giving in. i'm hoping for support. I feel determined today. Love to all and a very happy christmas. Will be back later. Tylyr

Comment

The Holidays are Here!

Wow Mike....that's so cool. You surely have not "failed to plan" so success is yours. It sounds like you've worked hard for it. I'm going to start to think of my wine as lighter fluid. LOL. Maybe that will help. Lighter fluid...yuk!

Comment

The Holidays are Here!

Merry Christmas everyone...week 12 Abs for me today..very contemplative about that, especially today...the 12th month of the year, Christmas and 12 weeks of having the second chance..it very much IS the birth of my christ self. To me, it is the meaning of Christmas...so...Joy to everyone today where ever you are!
                            Much Love,
                            Dianne

Comment

The Holidays are Here!

Hi Dianne,
                              12 weeks, thats great.I'm 10 weeks today and we certainly have picked a tough time of the year to do it...but as we all know ,it's so worthwhile.So to all that are making the change for the better a big post Christmas :goodjob:
                              Love to all,
                              Victoria xoxox

Comment

Working...
                              X