Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kudzu concern

I read the following at a medical site:

"Kudzu works to reduce the levels of acetaldehyde in the blood, thereby reducing the toxic effects of alcohol. Kudzu causes the acetaldehyde to collect and remain in the system longer - in hopes that the sickness from the toxicity will keep the person from drinking further. Obviously, the thought of voluntarily doing something that allows a potent toxin like acetaldehyde to collect in your body (when there are other, safer ways to curb drinking) is highly questionable."

Personally, I have not found that any supplements help deal with urges. Not even Topamax or Campral. The only thing that works for me is self-motivation and those periods are few and far between but when they kick in, I stop out of the blue--sometimes for days, sometimes for months, sometimes for years. I always seem to relapse, however, since the issues that make me drink: social awarkdness, desire to fit in, need to feel comfortable, even release from sleepiness and/or boredom, eventually regain the upper hand.

We're all different. What helps one person may not help another. For me it's conpletely a "head game" that comes from within. The hypno CDs are simply too boring. The ones sold by Wendi Friessen are much better, but I can't wade through those either.

I think we're all left to our own devices to find what works and what doesn't--and unfortunately most times it seems to be the latter.

-Mike

kudzu concern

Kudzu works well for hangovers, I haven't particularly noticed it effective in stopping the desire to go out. I think it also has a powerful placebo effect - that you are really taking action to control your problem.

Comment

kudzu concern

Sorry Mike, hope you find it.

Comment

kudzu concern

It has to be in your head that you want it. I quit for six weeks with nothing. The CDs help me a lot but owning them is not enough - I have to listen to them.

Hope you find your key Mike.

Comment

kudzu concern

For some reason I never get this. Started at 25 mg of Topa. The side effects were to much. Got a pill cutter, went down to 12.5 for the last month. Nothing has really happended except I have no side effects. Just went up to 25 mg again a few days again. Plan to stay there for a few weeks until comfortable going up to 37.5. This is my last stab at moderation.
          Every man has the right to tend to his garden.

Comment

kudzu concern

For some reason I never get his. Started at 25 mg of Topa. The side effects were to much. Got a pill cutter, went fown to 12.5 for the last month. Nothing has really happening except I had no side effects. Just went up to 25 mg again a few day again. Plan to stay there for a few weeks until comfortable going up to 37.5. This is my last stab at moderation.
            Every man has the right to tend to his garden.

Comment

Working...
            X