Antabuse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antabuse?

Any ideas from peeps who have tried it? I would like to collect some information about this........tia

Antabuse?

Sorry m'n'm, but I use different meds....someone will be along soon though who has...have you looked at the forums on meds and research yet??? There's ALWAYS helpful advice there.....And welcome...I think you are the newest member......I am a noobie too and can vouch big time for this site, glad you're here.....The Melon

Comment

Antabuse?

Hi there, found this site today as I was surfing to find info on antiabuse. I've made a Dr's appointment for the 4th Jan to ask to be put on the drug. You see I can go for 3-4 months without a drop to drink and not even a craving, then something pushes me so low I hit the Vodka for three days, disappear, find I've spent a fortune, let people down, hate myself, feel foul, realise I must have consumed anything up tp 10 litres in 2 days. Then have to rebuild again IT'S DRIVING ME INSANE. I've tried every therapy, even spent 3 months in an organic rehab straight after Uni.
      If ANYONE knows any pros or indeed cons about ANTIABUSE I would adore to hear from you.
      Many thanks, and much love and season's greetings from England.

Comment

Antabuse?

Happy 2007 one and all. Well I've gone for it and started antabuse today. I'll ensure I log on weekly to let you guys know any side effects.

"If you are going through hell.....keep going" Winston Churchill

Much love
        Dasher
        xx

Comment

Antabuse?

Hi Dasher~
          Hope it goes well.

Before Topa (believe it or not my Dr. suggested it before I even knew about this program) I asked for Antibuse but he suggested I not do it so he prescribed Topa instead. He told me there were many things to be careful eating & drinking (even smelling) that had a similar compound that alcohol had that I may get mildly sick if I ate or drank (smelled) these things. Kind of freaked me out. Wish I remembered what some of them were because it suprised me. Too long ago & my last brain cell is on vacation.

best to you...
          :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Antabuse?

Seabreeze, you are funny! I will have to remember that my last brain cell is on vacation too:H

If I can't get this moderating thing down....I will go for the antibuse.

I will be very interested in your updates.

Thank You!:goodjob:
            :h :h :h :h

Comment

Antabuse?

Isn't the whole point of Antabuse to make you throw up if you take a drink...sounds like alcholism and bulimia all wrapped up in a nasty little pill to me, but that's just me.
              --
              "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
              -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

Antabuse?

ihavebeenherkind wrote: Isn't the whole point of Antabuse to make you throw up if you take a drink...sounds like alcholism and bulimia all wrapped up in a nasty little pill to me, but that's just me.
                Thankyou for your support. Isn't George Bush also from Texas?

Comment

Antabuse?

dasher wrote: Thankyou for your support. Isn't George Bush also from Texas?
                  Yes, and I think I see your attempt at a dig. I got a little offended at first, but then I realized i should probably swallow my big Texas pride and realize I could have and should have been more sensitive to your needs at this delicate moment in your life, we are all here for help and support. I apologize. I didn't mean to be unsupportive. That was my attempt at levity. (However, it was clearly as successful as our lovely leader's misplaced attempts at levity).

Here is an article discussing Antabuse:

Disulfiram

And another discussing the other FDA approved medications for alcholism treatment:

Alcoholism Treatment - Medications for Alcoholism

I hope those are more helpful to you and again, I apologize for being insensitive.
                  --
                  "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
                  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

Antabuse?

Bless you, and thankyou for your apology that I niether expected nor required, I simply responed in a sarcastic manner, for which I must apologise because sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, and I honestly did not mean to offend. LINE DRAWN, LETS MOVE ON:l

Thankyou for the links that you provided, I've found them really helpful. I think an issue with finding info on the web is that the product is called a slightly different name in different countries. Here in England the NHS has licensed ANTABUSE.

Day 2 almost over and psychologically taking the pill has made me feel stronger and much more confident that I wont drink. The only side effect so far is a loss of appetite (not a bad thing after Christmas)

Take Care, and I'll keep this thread posted as the days turn into weeks
                    Much Love
                    Dasher
                    x

Comment

Antabuse?

:thumbs:
                      :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Antabuse?

Evening all,

Well the first week on antabuse has been rather a non event, once I'd sorted deodrants and aftershaves, all was fine and dandy.

The side effects have been limited, the pills have suppressed my appetite, and also supressed my sex drive. Also, friends have been saying that I'm much more subdued. None of which are terribly dreadful, especially when I tell you how much extra confidence I now have in myself, knowing I can't 'blip' and drink a 'sneaky one'. I feel as though I can really exhale and relax now. I know these pills are not ideal, but so far so good.

Until next week
                        Much love
                        Dasher
                        xx:l

Comment

Antabuse?

Thanks for the update. Glad things are going good!

Comment

Antabuse?

Hi there one and all,

Well, my second week on antabuse is complete, and the damn pills really helped me on Friday night. I went out with a group of friends, and know that had I not been on the pills I would have drank for sure. Problems with the business had begun to get on top of me and I longed for a release, which would have usually been getting blotto and causing havoc in other peoples lives. However knowing that these evil little pills were in my system, I simply ate 4 bags of Haribo when I got home, and was then able to solve business issues on Saturday. Happy Days

Until next week
                            Much Love
                            dasher
                            xxx:l

Comment

Antabuse?

Dasher thanks for the update!

Congratulations on 2 weeks AF!!!!

:good: :wd: :yougo: :armsaround:
                              :h :h :h :h

Comment

Working...