Boxing Day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boxing Day.

Well, for the first time in 49 years I celebrated Christmas day totally alcohol free....no brandy sauce, no Tia Maria laced gateau, not even one chocolate liqueur :happy: . ( even from the age of ten my mother would give me a small glass of sherry on Christmas day. )
    My son and myself went to my daughter and son-in-laws for the day, they have just moved into their first home and were so excited about it, they were all concerned for me, sitting there watching them drinking, but they were able to control it, none of them had more than 4 drinks during the entire day, and that included a glass of wine with dinner.
    Yes, I will admit I had a few cravings from time to time, I had realised I would be going into a war zone so to speak, so I went well prepared. I took some L-Glut and Kudzu before going, then I made a bottle of Kudzu to take with me and I drank that at various times during the day. I must explain, I buy the dried root of Kudzu from a chinese herbalist and make a drink of it by putting some into a cup and pouring boiling over it, leave for 10 minutes to infuse, then drink slowly, rather a bland taste, but it works for me. So there you are, I actually made it through the day, had a great time, have a clear memory of all that happened, and survived to tell the tale :H .
    When I think back and remember how I would be feeling on Boxing day morning, ugh, I would be hungover for most of the day, but today my daughter and SIL are picking me up at 2pm and we are going to see the film Happy Feet, so all in all this will be a good day also.
    Right, must go, I do hope, from the bottom of my heart that everyone achieved the goals they wanted to over the last few days, wether they were moderation or abstinence.
    In a few days time we'll have a whole new year to think about, a blank canvas to paint on, and for me, for the first time in about 20 years I can actually look forward with hope and happiness to the future, and to continuing this sometimes hard, but beautiful and wonderous journey not alone anymore but surrounded by caring and loving friends. :loveyou:

Hope you all have another great day,

Love Louise xxx
    A F F L..
    Alcohol Free For Life

Boxing Day.

Hello Louise, and....:happy: :wd: :happy: :wd:

I'm really, really happy for you....and for me too.
    In my heart of hearts, I didn't quite expect to manage it........
    ....But I did....
    My wife - her name is Susan - and me went to see my new grand-daughter yesterday afternoon. We had a nice few hours there, then came home for dinner.
    My 'in - laws' came around at about 5 pm.....that was quite difficult, as that's usually when the silliness starts; indeed the silliness did start but in the end, I held firm and drove everyone home at about 9 pm.
    It wasn't easy, and the New Year promises to be harder, but nothing worth anything is easy.
    I have to go to work for a few hours tomorrow and then I am off until the 8th of Jan......good good good good !!!!!!...

Comment

Boxing Day.

Well done

Louise & PaulB
      Be proud of yourselves, you both did really well.
      I imagine you saw the whole day from a completely different perspective this year.
      I'm sure you both really enjoyed the company of your families

My husband and I both drank a lot less yesterday than any previous Christmas together and are feeling good today.

It was so nice to feel in control,
      to be able to put a good dinner on the table and not have any alcohol induce disasters in the kitchen .

Hope we can all keep it up for the New Year.

Best wished to everyone
      C

Comment

Boxing Day.

Well done. It's so fantastic to hear these success stories. :jumpin: :groupluv: :groupluv:
        Enough is enough

Comment

Boxing Day.

Just popping in to say hello from Memphis...

Yes, Louise and Paul, isn't it wonderful to have made it through Christmas SOBER?!

I'm paying by the minute for internet sevice here, so I'll be on very briefly.... Just wanted to check in and say hi, and hoping all is well with the rest of you..

~ Mike
          "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Boxing Day.

Congrats everyone.
            Happy to say I made it thru as well.

Looking forward to celebrating 60 days af in about 2 days.
            I was happy to make 30 days and then didn't know what to do after that milestone so I extended it to 60 days.
            Now I'm in the same situation. Guess I should just extend to 90? I know this may sound silly but I'm not quite sure what to do with myself yet. ie. how to categorize myself.
            I still don't want to commit to forever AF but I'm scared to drink and don't want to drink...yet it is still there somehow as an option in my mind. arrrgghhh...
            I guess this is not such an awful issue really- I'm starting to just feel like a non drinker but I can't get that actual thought in my head yet. It has always been such a nice friend to fall back on - just in case I needed it.
            I keep taking all the safety nets away in my life....cigarettes, a relationship, drinking...feel like I'm out here all alone now. Thought I'd post this in longterm - hope that is ok - and thought someone might have some helpful thoughts on this. Not even sure I have an issue....confusing.
            Anyway...I did enjoy a lovely, sober, fattening Christmas.
            Thanks for listening ...have a good night.
            lisa

Comment

Boxing Day.

Kudo's all round!

You guys are all just such an inspiration!

I think Abs sounds good- starting right now! Thanks for reminding me how good it could feel, had I not had a few too many yesterday!

Skoot
              "I have not failed - I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Boxing Day.

Lisa,
                Exactly the same thing happened to me during my first year sober. I started off working towards 3 weeks, then 6 weeks then 3 months. I kept hoping that I'd eventually go to moderation but I knew in my heart that that was a delusion. so I tried to keep it from my mind and just work on the day at hand. I found it challenging on this board cos here there are people aiming for moderation which is a goal that this board offers to some. For me, I knew that if I went to one drink I'd be back on full on drinking and I;ve held onto that honesty for me (thank goodness).. I dont hold it against those who are trying to moderate.. thats for them, not me.

It was only after some time that I turned my approach around to thinking that permanent abs was ok for me and not a passing phase. sometimes I'd think, I'll go a year, then we will see.. sometimes i could only think, I'll just stay this way today.. its been a changing feeling for me, but I have known that one drink would be my downfall and that has stopped me when I needed it to.

Sometimes I have drinking dreams and I keep working consciously on 'my' program, but in many ways I'm almost a rabid non drinker now. I find watching people who are tipsy a real turn off and it has become easier and easier to say no.. I dont drink.. no discussion,, just a fact.

Last year at xmas I was only 1 month sober and i spent the day thinking about booze.. this year it was a non issue.

I wouldnt want to go back drinking for the world... its simply not worth it.
                Well done for nearly 60 days

Louise, Paul.. well done too... its a liberation isnt it?
                Brigid

Comment

Boxing Day.

thanks brigid. I'm at work right now but just read your post. I want to re read it a few times.
                  I also know what you mean by being very anti drinking too. I saw my friend christmas eve and she was very very tipsy. It was hard to talk to her and that made me sad because I missed talking to her not the drunk her. I was happy to have root beer that night. Still this is a confusing time for me. Perhaps not looking too far down the road is the right approach. Forever is a bit overwhelming.
                  Anyway - thank you so much for your words of wisdom. It really helps.
                  Lisa

Comment

Boxing Day.

Survived my 2nd sober Christmas in a row. This year, honestly, I wished I was working at the hospital or spending it with just my kids.....no family! Lots of emotion and feelings cropped up in me. Lots of resentments I will have to address eventually as I work the steps. At one point at my dad's house, I went into the garage to get a soda from the fridge. There I was, all alone, and I open the fridge to see 4 bottles of chardonnay....2 already opened. I must admit, the thought crossed my mind to take a swig. But I didn't! I feel good about that decision, but didn't expect to even think about it. We left the party early, as I had had more than enough of my uptight miserable family. Took a LONG nap after that. Glad life is getting back to normal.
                    Happy to hear of all the success here. On to New Years!!!

Comment

Boxing Day.

Hi lisa
                      60 Days - Well done you.
                      I really understand what you are feeling about not quite knowing where to go with this non drinking.
                      Last year I went 7 months AF
                      Unfortunately I tricked myself into thinking I had it all under control.
                      Then last christmas I had a few drinks, then a few more over new year.
                      Come February I was drinking even more than before I had stopped.
                      I would give anything not to have taken those few drinks last christmas - really led to my downfall.

Really pleased to learn how well you are doing BUT
                      My advice to you - keep in mind how good you are feeling now
                      don't let your guard down....

Absolutely the best of luck to you and everyone else here.
                      Love
                      Changeling

Comment

Boxing Day.

Changling- thanks for sharing that story and for the encouragement.
                        I think I will play it day by day for awhile. There is nothing that is pressing me to drink so I think for now I will just continue being sober. I think some of my concern/questioning is coming from wondering if I could drink now, or if I did, would I slide back into my old routine? I hated my 'old routine' though so I don't know why I would tempt myself.
                        I don't even know if I would enjoy moderate drinking. Anyway, since I don't know the answer right now I think I'll wait awhile longer. Just kind of rambling here..
                        Thanks for the feedback though - very helpful
                        Lisa

Comment

Boxing Day.

Hi all,

I made it through as well and today is 111 days AF. Something is starting to slowy change in the way I feel too finally I feel at ease with not drinking. Maybe it's because I made it through these past few days and didn't fall down.

Lisa sounds like you and I had the same experience with our friend. My friend dropped by for a visit too and she was more than tipsy it was very sad and I had a hard time talking to her. My thoughts were how glad I was not to be drunk any longer.

Hey has anyone heard for Xtexan I've been looking for him I wonder if he went away for the holidays.

Be good,
                          spacie

Comment

Boxing Day.

Hello everyone:

Made my way to Tulsa from my parents house, and got a two hour access block at a bookstore/coffeshop.

I bought that Allen Carr book, and a few others, so that should be interesting reading.

Christmas was pretty good. Full house. My parents and sister were a bit amazed at my appearance. They said I looked a lot bigger than the last time we visited. Dad says I look a lot more muscular and healthy. So thats a good thing.

I brought one of my bikes along, and will do a 5 miler with one of my cousins this Friday. Then I'm heading back home.

Glad to see so many made it through the day without the fuel solvents. On to the New Year!

Neil

Comment

Working...
                            X