Pilates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilates?

Anyone tried this? I just ordered the Winsor Pilates set and am excited about trying it. They had an ad on TV then I went to their website and looked them up on the Better Business Bureau's site and they got AAA.

Let me know. I hope it works...I need something.
    "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Pilates?

I have the Supreme Pilates machine that got excellent feedback that I plan to use in January. It comes with tapes and all. Let's keep each other informed.....

This is the website I got the feedback on. Here is what they say about what I think you bought....FITNESS INFOMERCIAL REVIEW - WINSOR PILATES REVIEW
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Pilates?

Yeah, I used to do pilates when I wasn't drinking so much. You need to be really strong in the midsection to do lots of the stuff. If the tape has a 'beginners' exercises person - you know if they have three people and one is beginning, one mid, and one advanced - make sure to start with the beginner exercises. Pay attention to your breathing and posture, especially hip and back positiions or you will hurt your back. As with yoga or any of the eastern exercise regimines, start slow and listen to your body. Change any postion to suit your level of comfort while staying in correct form. Pilates is all about control from your 'core' - chest to waist to hips to thighs. It takes time but is very powerful when you get good at it.
      Dove

Comment

Pilates?

I thought pilates was a form of yoga? now I'm confused...what the heck is it?
        (sorry for my ignorance)
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Pilates?

Pilates is a group of exercises meant to strengthen the core (abdomen, waist, buttocks) and in doing so align the spine and help alleviate back pain. Yoga is meant to be a spiritual, meditating experience.
          dove

Comment

Pilates?

Is pillates sort of like calenetics.....where you hold the same position quite a while ony moving ( pulsing ) very slowly?? really works on the back and is fantasic for muscle tone
            "Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around"...Penelope Cruz...Vanilla Sky

Comment

Pilates?

I found this reply to a similar question on a different forum:

"Hi there! Well, Pilates is a series of large, swinging movements, few reps,engaging the core muscles of the torso. Callanetics is very small, deliberate movements, no more than a half to a quarter inch , many many reps. Callanetics will work a muscle then gently stretch that muscle out to avoid any bulkiness."

I have never heard of callenetics before so I searched around before posting this but from what I see on the net people see real good results - some even say the best results of any exercise.

Dove

Comment

Pilates?

very interesting...thank you Dove. I might have to look into such a program. currently I've been taking jiu jitsu but because of my work I only go once or twice per week and end up constantly injuring myself. also I tend to go "wacko" and my poor abused body just won't take it anymore...sigh. I guess I'm human dang it.
                nosce te ipsum
                (Know Thyself)

Comment

Pilates?

I have the Windsor Pilates CD and it's really good because they have beginner, moderate and advanced levels all at the same time. It really does work. I need to lose weight in my "core." I'm currently storing excess wine and vodka in my midsection and it needs to come off. My doctor didn't laugh when I told her, "that's not my belly....I carry my winter snow tires with me at all times." The best thing is that you can do it at home.

Comment

Pilates?

PILATES INSTRUCTOR

:new: i'M NEW HERE, BUT NOT NEW TO PILATES. I HAVE BEEN TEACHING IT FOR 10 YEARS. IT WORKS YOUR CORE MUSCLES FROM THE INSIDE OUT. IT GIVES YOU A LONG LEAN LOOK AS IT CORRECTS POSTURE AND ANY DISALIGHNMENT YOU MAY HAVE HAD WITH YOUR BODY. IT'S GREAT FOR BEGINNERS AND AVID ATHLETES. A GOOD INSTRUCTOR IS THE KEY!

Comment

Pilates?

I have done Callanetics and found it really good. I am supposed to be going to my first PILATES class on wednesday this coming week but I have a sacro-iliac problem that makes my back very sore if I twist or even if I stretch tall and jump( picture shooting a basketball). Do you think I will have a problem at (or most likely-after) the class? My problem is that my body will let me do the action but will punish me later- as it does if I run.
                      Enough is enough

Comment

Pilates?

Hey, all you Pilates freaks!

I've been doing Pilates off and on (mostly off) for about 20 years. I had an unusual response in class yesterday from one of my teachers who simply said "what happened to you?????"

I was so weak that I could not keep up with an intermediate level class. I've been down in the dumps for two weeks and I've also has the flu so this was the first class in two weeks that I took.

I am 55 years old. I wonder if it is old age or just my sadness that sapped me so.

I truly feel as though I have gone to pot and it's not just my belly! Does anyone have any experience with such a quick loss of strength? I wonder if it is my age . . .

:heart: E

Comment

Pilates?

Hi Waves--

I can imagine that your instructor will ask if anyone in the class has any health concerns before the class begins and you should probably explain what is going on with your back. There are all sorts of variations that can be made in the exercises. If you have a problem with your lower back, you might be asked to work in a flat back position instead of a neutral spine posture. As you know, a flat back just means that you will have to press your lower back into the mat, reformer or whatever to protect it. From what I've seen Pilates done with this modification can be really helpful to people with lower back problems.

Good luck!

Comment

Pilates?

Pilates a problem???

Honey, Eustacia...(sorry of wrong spelling) I am 54 and I suffer from osteoarthritis of the hip and a recent broken ankle. HOWEVER, if you can do Pilates at all then I would say Hats off to you.....I need to lose about 25-30 lbs and then would LOVE to join you in an online challenge......we just need to KEEP TRYING....that is the main thing I think.......TRY, AND YOU WILL SUCCEED! Love, My

Comment

Pilates?

Hi, My--

Anyone who isn't paralyzed can do Pilates. Joseph Pilates developed his technique as a form of physical therapy. If you haven't practiced it before, you'll find that the beginning exercises in the typical Pilates class or individual session are almost confoundingly simple. You'll need to be careful with your ankle, especially if you work out on equipment like the reformer. Pilates isn't the best exercise for weight loss but it does help tone. I would like to lose the pounds that have uncharitably shown up around my middle. I'm thinking maybe a combination of some of the Pilates exercises done at an aerobic pace, walking my kid's puppy, cleaning, fretting . . . something has got to work! I'd be happy to check in from time to time with you to see how things are going.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X